Brad Childress fired

Lkr

No surprise here. Childress can blame Brett Favre as the main culprit for his firing.

However something that is really surprising is that both Childress and Phillips were got fired AFTER their owners said they weren't going to make a decision until the end of the year.

Edited by Confidence

Well that sucks. I was hoping they'd be garbage for a lot longer.

Garbage like the Chilly-led 12-4 team just one season ago who lost by a field goal in OT to the superbowl champs in the playoffs?

They're garbage because their personnel is garbage, had nothing to do with Chilly. Scapegoat ftl.

• Like 1

• Owner

They're garbage because their personnel is garbage, had nothing to do with Chilly. Scapegoat ftl.

Nothing to do with him? He's one of the bigger problems.

It's not mind-blowing to see a coach flop after a good season. Favre is struggling. It was a near-MVP season for Brett last year. When your QB is struggling with injuries, you take him out. Childress doesn't know how to run the team, and that's why the players give up on him, get into verbal altercations, slam him in pressers, and why his job has been in jeopardy since a month or two ago.

Great to see the Packers force the Vikings to fire a coach! Great win for us, and good move for the Vikings. Childress wasn't getting the job done mainly because he was too in love with Favre to realize that he needed to get on board the rebuilding idea to stay with Minnesota.

Nothing to do with him? He's one of the bigger problems.

It's not mind-blowing to see a coach flop after a good season. Favre is struggling. It was a near-MVP season for Brett last year. When your QB is struggling with injuries, you take him out. Childress doesn't know how to run the team, and that's why the players give up on him, get into verbal altercations, slam him in pressers, and why his job has been in jeopardy since a month or two ago.

lol, you bench Brett Favre? I know you're used to the QB carousel in Oakland, but you do not bench Brett Favre, not after the season he put up last year.

Childress put up a 10-6 season with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte at the helm in '08, a 12-4 season with Favre at the helm in '09.

Favre is not performing, the defense is not performing (the Williams wall has looking meager, Allen has been a shell), and the offensive line is absolutely atrocious.

Blame Childress if you want, every team that performs poorly needs a scapegoat. This Minnesota team simply doesn't have it. Childress is a decent coach.

His play calling is an issue.

4th and goal within 1 min in the first half. He goes for it. Failed. Just call for a field goal.

Yesterday's game..

1:30 left in the first half. He makes Favre throw it. Favre throws an INT, thus letting the Packers get a TD. Let Peterson run the ball so they have a less likely-hood of turning over the ball and run down the clock. Peterson was averaging 5.1 yards per carry in that game.

His challenges are just atrocious, too.

Those are just a few examples.

Yes, it's the player's responsibility for their actions, but Childress is putting them in those bad spots with his play calling. He needs to know what his players can and cannot do. Favre just needs to control the game, not throw like a madman... especially with the injuries he's suffering. Childress wasn't 100% of the problem, but he was certainly the one causing the most.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Do they not employ an offensive coordinator? Not being smarmy, legitimately asking.

The team is not performing this year. You should know that better than anyone. Neither of their lines have performed, the offensive line much worse than the defensive. Ryan Cook played yesterday, one of the 5-10 worst tackles in the league. The defense has been sad. I look at their games and don't see coaching as the problem... their personnel is just not very good.

Kevin Seifert, NFC North Blogger:

If I had to sum up why Childress failed in Minnesota, my tight answer would include those two reasons. He had a distant relationship at best with players, feuding with most key veterans at one point or another. And his schemes were uninspiring and rigid, routinely minimizing the skills of talented players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post?id=19964

I suggest reading the whole thing, actually..

Edited by Lone Wolf

Do they not employ an offensive coordinator? Not being smarmy, legitimately asking.

The team is not performing this year. You should know that better than anyone. Neither of their lines have performed, the offensive line much worse than the defensive. Ryan Cook played yesterday, one of the 5-10 worst tackles in the league. The defense has been sad. I look at their games and don't see coaching as the problem... their personnel is just not very good.

That's when Childress needs to 'but in' and take control of the play calling, IF IT was the offensive coordinator.

The O-line was an issue the 2nd half of last season. The team still got to the NFC title game.

The D-line can't do crap if the offense isn't on the field for a good/majority amount of time. Tired old vets are old.

Edited by Lone Wolf

• Owner

lol, you bench Brett Favre? I know you're used to the QB carousel in Oakland, but you do not bench Brett Favre, not after the season he put up last year.

Childress put up a 10-6 season with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte at the helm in '08, a 12-4 season with Favre at the helm in '09.

Favre is not performing, the defense is not performing (the Williams wall has looking meager, Allen has been a shell), and the offensive line is absolutely atrocious.

Blame Childress if you want, every team that performs poorly needs a scapegoat. This Minnesota team simply doesn't have it. Childress is a decent coach.

Yes, you bench Brett because he's injured OR he's too old. It's one or the other. Last year, Vick looked like the perfect backup. Now he's arguably the MVP of this league. It wasn't too long ago that Brady was connecting with Moss for 23 TDs in a season (2007 season?). Had 13 TDs last season, 83 receptions for over 1200 yards. Now he seems to be irrelevant for every team he plays on just one year later, and that's without injury.

Let me ask you this: will the Vikings have any chance at the playoffs this year? A realistic chance? Because if you don't think so, you play Jackson now.

Everyone wants to see Favre continue the streak and retire with it, but Favre has enough talent around him to win games. He has the receivers (Harvin, Moss at one time, Shiancoe, Berrian, Rice yesterday) and the back to take focus away from the throwing game (Peterson), yet he's only able to put up three total points against the Packers? His QB rating is a 70, from 107 last season? He has 17 picks (most his fault) from just seven last season? That's 22 turnovers altogether for Brett, 71 points for the other team over 10 games. He's playing like he did when he was with the Jets...ironically, the season he was playing injured...and he actually put up better numbers when he was with them.

Before the Green Bay game, the Vikings reached the end zone just 12 of 29 times while in the red zone, which is pathetic. They are in the bottom five or six in red zone touchdowns. Seeing what guys like Brady and Manning have done with what most feel are "no-name receivers" this season, you have to wonder why Favre can't dump the ball into the end zone without throwing a pick or incompletions.

Childress and Favre are the problems. Childress is gone. Run next week's game with Favre, and if he doesn't lead the Vikings to victory over the depleted Redskins, it's time to sit him.

Yes, you bench Brett because he's injured OR he's too old.

But do you bench the guy because he has a swiss cheese offensive line? The dude has made plenty of poor decisions this year, there is no hiding from that... But it's because he has a guy in his face on every drop back. It's glaringly obvious if you watch Vikings games, their offensive line cannot pass block to save a life.

You mentioned Moss as being done, then mentioned him as a weapon that Favre didn't get the ball to. You can't play both sides. Sidney Rice played his first game since hip flexor surgery, he cannot be an option... Shiancoe has fallen off, Camarillo is their #3... The only guy who has constantly performed is Percy Harvin, and it's mostly because he's so great at short slants that Brett can throw off a quick drop. Even if the Vikings have tremendous weapons in the passing game, there is legitimately no chance of getting them the ball on a regular basis... Favre has no time to drop back.

Is Jackson the answer? He's been in the league for years now and has never shown a thing, couldn't even win the job from Gus Frerotte until he got injured. He would extend plays that break down a bit with his legs, but his arm has always, always left a ton to be desired. I think for the Vikings to progress, they need to draft a stud lineman and sign another in free agency, and that's if they're starting Jackson. If not, it's a bit longer of a rebuild, and they take a QB in round 1 and hopefully a competent lineman in round 2.

I get that they have all this flashy talent and that it's easy to forget that the game starts on the lines, but it's honestly their problem. Their offensive line is embarrassingly atrocious and I really feel bad for whoever takes the ball under center in the near future. It's David Carr in 2002-esque.

I just think Chilly was a scapegoat, and it became more and more obvious for me. The personnel simply isn't there to win games, and we'll see it now that Leslie Frazer is coaching. I don't expect a huge increase in performance, because they simply aren't a very good team this year.

Marvin is gone just wait till the season ends... the big question with the Bengals is do you give Carson another shot or you think like myself hes had too many chances and move on?

I think Carson still has talent, but I think his mentality has changed since suffering two major injuries. It might be time to move on, I'm kind of hoping we go 2-14. I'll always like Palmer though whether we move on or not.

wow the vikings may become a scary team, Leslie Frazier is a fantastic coach and may turn out to be a great head coach, wish my bears could of picked him up ; \

What makes you think that? Their defense is absolutely horrible.

• 3 weeks later...