Whose fault?

Erick Blasco

Since everyone is jumping solely on Spoelstra, here's some video of Zydrunas Ilgauskas' non-existent help defense, and Dwyane Wade continuing his horrendous season.

Wade hasn't played hard or smart in a single game this year. Not one. He's blown assignments on both ends of the court and it's ruined Miami's chances of executing. The fact that he isn't being called out is astonishing. He's pulling a Baron Davis right before our eyes...

http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/11/23/why-was-miamis-interior-defense-so-bad-against-indiana/

Interesting stuff. I don't know what the hell is going on with the defense, it's like they've just lost motivation to dominate on that side of the ball, which wasn't the case earlier in the season. Defense has got to be how this team will win a championship, and right now they are just dogging it.

Interesting stuff. I don't know what the hell is going on with the defense, it's like they've just lost motivation to dominate on that side of the ball, which wasn't the case earlier in the season. Defense has got to be how this team will win a championship, and right now they are just dogging it.

It's almost exclusively Wade now too. LeBron is picking it up and playing at LeBron levels, while Bosh is improving his screen defense. But when you have a player like Wade who is taking 90% of defensive possessions off, it just puts the Heat in impossible situations.

Plus everything I feared about Ilgauskas is coming true. He's falling apart and he just can't move at all.

The team isn't playing hard for Spoelstra, and for better or worse, these next few weeks are crucial for him. If he can't rally the team around him, the Heat are in trouble. If he wants to make a ballsy move, he'd bench Wade to take back control and hopefully light a fire under him. LeBosh should be good enough to keep Miami rolling.

One other aspect about the Heat I read on basketballprospectus earlier today...they have no youth anywhere in their rotation. Because of that, they don't play with any youthful energy. Of course they shouldn't need some random second-year player to supply a pick-me-up, but it's almost as if the Heat (Wade) realize they've already made names for themselves, what do they have to play for? Because LeBron and Bosh have improved.

It's almost the exact opposite scenario of what happened in Boston. Boston's Big Three were all used to playing in systems that went beyond iso ball. They had no adjustment because they simply knew how to play five-man basketball. Miami's big three still has no idea how to play five man basketball, and whereas Bosh and LeBron are making mistakes but trying to learn, Wade is the one who is simply blowing things off to isolate. And of all the potential disaster scenarios I envisioned of the Heat, this is one I did not see coming. at. all.

Poe, I agree with everything you're saying.

With the attack the hoop mindset, teams really clog the lane against the Heat. They aren't taking advantage because Arroyo isn't hitting his jumpers, Miller is out, and Wade and LeBron aren't catch-and-shoot guys. Ilgauskas is scoring a bit, but he gives it up on the other end. Jones has been streaky, and House doesn't have the handles to start.

This is the problem with niche players who aren't well-rounded. If you have too many of them playing critical roles, eventually their weaknesses will be exposed if the stars aren't playing well.

Plus people assume that simply walking the ball up is being a point guard, when being a point guard also involves understanding the action, calling out plays, and making the right trigger passes. LeBron and Wade aren't point guards.