Kemba Walker

Built Ford Tough

How impressive has he been so far this season? After seeing his 42 point explosion against Vermont, I didn't think he would be able to top that game, but I think he may have just done that tonight. Check out his line against the 2nd ranked Spartans tonight:

30 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals on 10-19 shooting to lead unranked UConn to a 3 point win over Michigan State.

He is averaging 30.3 ppg/5.3 rpg/2.7 apg/2 spg on 50.9 FG% and 35.3 3PT% with only 1.3 turnovers per game.

As great as those numbers are, if you take away his poor first game of the season, he is averaging:

34.3 ppg/4.3 rpg/2.3 apg/2.3 spg on 55.9 FG%

And Chad Ford said that Chris Singleton has been the best player in college basketball so far this season? Yeah, right. :lol:

Top-10 pick in the next NBA draft assuming he keeps playing with even 3/4 of this skill. Everyone knew he was going to take the go-ahead shot against MSU the other night, but he still was able to create the shot, and then hit it. He's quick, a good shooter, a good passer, and a team leader. Very interesting to watch this guy become a star right before our eyes. I'm expecting big things from him.

He closed out the first half on a high note in this Maui Invitational game. Back-to-back threes and a sweet assist as apart of a 13-0 UConn run in the final minutes of the half.

Seems like a fiery, competitive player.

Didn't see the first half, but looks like he has been dominant tonight as well. 21 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals on 57% shooting with only one turnover while holding Brandon Knight to 2 points, 2 assists on 2-11 shooting and 3 turnovers.

Guy is really having some start to his season.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The Singleton pick isn't that silly when you consider he playing less minutes than last year and is still putting up 7.2 points and 3.8 assists more a game than last year. I agree Kemba has been better but don't write off Singleton.

The Singleton pick isn't that silly when you consider he playing less minutes than last year and is still putting up 7.2 points and 3.8 assists more a game than last year. I agree Kemba has been better but don't write off Singleton.

Not saying that it is silly, but there is absolutely now way in hell that he has outperformed Walker this season, or really even been close for that matter.

It isn't just the stats that Walker is putting up, but he has led UConn to an upset win over two top 10 teams already while UConn is unranked. I guess that might not have played a factor in Ford's decision as I believe he wrote that comment before the Michigan State game, but still, Walker has been playing at a ridiculously high level all seasong long.

Besides, it's not like Walker hasn't seen a ridiculous increase in his numbers either. He is averaging 15.4 more ppg, 0.9 less turnovers per game, shooting 12.7% better from the field, 11.9% better from the stripe and 6.7% better from three. All his other numbers are nearly the same as well except for his assists which are down 1.5 a game, but that is understandable considering he has doubled his ppg average from last year.

He is also doing this in less minutes per game, although not nearly to the same extent as Singleton (1.3 less for Walker).

• 2 weeks later...

Kemba Walker drops a triple double tonight, 24pts, 13rebs, 10 assists, 9/13FG, 2/3 3FG. Granted it was against a clearly inferior UMBC team, it's still amazing.

He showed last season that he can be a very effective distributor. This season he is all UCONN has offensively so he has to score as much as he is now.

I know it's early, but despite his size I think he can wind up seeing himself at least picked close to the lottery. Damon Stoudamire wound up having a good NBA career being about the same height, if not an inch or two shorter, so I'm sure Walker can at least be a scoring machine off the bench.