Kings pursuing Aaron Brooks and Jeff Teague

Dash

While no one expected a playoff run, or even anything resembling an extended winning streak, this early season tumble is shooting flares all over the place.

Is there a plan? Is there an offense? Maybe not. But no one's getting fired.

"We're disappointed," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said Tuesday, his club having lost eight of its past nine games, "but we're not panicking. The defense is much better, and if we start making shots, we'll win some of these games.

In fairness to Westphal, everyone acknowledges the Kings are far from a finished product. They need outside shooting like ski resorts need snow. They need DeMarcus Cousins to behave like a mature adult, not a 20-year-old kid. They need a facilitator so they can move Tyreke Evans to shooting guard or small forward and exploit his strength and natural scoring instincts.

Better yet, they need Geoff Petrie to acquire a more conventional point guard – or a player whose skills would better complement those of Evans – and accelerate the learning process. (The Kings are aggressively pursuing a move and reportedly have inquired about Atlanta's Jeff Teague and Houston's Aaron Brooks, among others, though team officials declined to comment on the speculation.)

"There's no point bemoaning what we don't have," Westphal added. "Right now with this team, the best possible thing we can (accomplish) is to put together a defensive identity. Put the pieces together in a way that fits. Be the best defensive team we can be. We will work it out offensively. I don't think anyone expected us to look like the 1971 Knicks after 13 games."

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/24/3208525/things-have-gone-from-to-bleak.html

Neither seem like realistic options right now unless the Kings would be willing to pay a significant price.

• Owner

It's mind-blowing to see how high teams are on Jeff Teague. Atlanta acts like he's untouchable right now. The Kings really want him? Why? It doesn't make sense.

Teague played well at Wake. If I recall correctly, he was on the All-ACC team (can't remember if it was first or second team, probably second because Lawson and Douglas were ballers). However, he's a scoring point that can't play a lick of two-guard, and he has absolutely no playmaking skills.

Everyone talks about how well he can shoot. What? He couldn't reach 40% last season, was garbage in the playoffs, and he's still struggling this season.

I just don't get the obsession with this guy.

As far as Aaron Brooks goes, that makes sense because he's a proven scorer and he can shoot from downtown, and it would allow Tyreke to go full-time at the two, where he's played most of his minutes at in both of his NBA seasons to begin with. The Kings are one of the worst three-point shooting teams in the NBA, and it would open up Evans' game, as well as make things a bit easier for Cousins (who is struggling).

I would go after Brooks if I was Sacramento, but only if I can't find a defensive-minded point that can shoot the ball. Someone like Hinrich. The Kings give up over 100 PPG, and it's obvious that Evans is having trouble defending the opposition, finding himself in foul trouble in some of his games this year, so Kirk would make the most sense here (even though he's having a pretty good season in Washington right now).

Teague is a decent looking prospect but I think the reason they are so reluctant to let go of him is because of how thin they at point guard. Bibby looks like he done and should be coming off the bench but Teague isn't ready to take over a starting job just yet. Atlanta will likely groom him this year and finally hand him the spot next season. However, if the Kings are willing to part with someone like Carl Landry then Atlanta should definitely consider it.

As for Brooks though I don't see anything on the Kings roster I'd like in return except Omri Casspi and an unprotected first round.

• Owner

and an unprotected first round.

Trade obliteration, haha.

The Kings would part ways with Omri to get Brooks, I'm sure...but an unprotected pick would be insane. The 5th worst team in the NBA should be sold to another owner if they gave away an unprotected pick to a team just to bring in Aaron Brooks.

Then again, draft picks have been thrown around so carelessly in recent years, so it really wouldn't surprise me. It would be top 3 protected, though.

Trade obliteration, haha.

The Kings would part ways with Omri to get Brooks, I'm sure...but an unprotected pick would be insane. The 5th worst team in the NBA should be sold to another owner if they gave away an unprotected pick to a team just to bring in Aaron Brooks.

Then again, draft picks have been thrown around so carelessly in recent years, so it really wouldn't surprise me. It would be top 3 protected, though.

Lol yeah but Sactown just doesn't have anything else that could pry a borderline all-star or a really good starter like Brooks. Kings would definitely move up in the standings though with Brooks but the pick would still be in the top 8 or so. Besides the lottery this year isn't exactly much to fawn over although the top 3 (Barnes, Jones and Irving) looks solid but I wouldn't mind that protection.

*prays the Rockets come out with Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving on draft night* *tries to haggle with God*

Aaron Brooks makes sense. Like Real Deal was saying, he would be able to his from downtown, as well as run the point full time for Sacramento. Teague on the other hand is just a very confusing prospect. His college career, and even some of his NBA career has been very promising. The other part of his NBA career on the other hand has him looking like nothing right now. There are other options for the Kings if they are interested. Daniel "Boobie" Gibson could be available from Cleveland. Either T.J. Ford or A.J. Price could be available from Indiana. I'm guessing they could probably make an offer for Kirk Hinrich or even Mario Chalmers. There's definitely a lot of options out there, and I'm expecting they'll find something.

• Owner

Wait...Brooks is a more conventional PG than Udrih? :huh: They would be better off getting someone like Seb Telfair.

Evans needs to handle the ball more. He would spoon-feed Brooks all game. Tyreke has no problem getting to the rim and kicking it out.

Brooks would be excellent from the perimeter (again, to boost their three-point percentage) and he would also be nice to have on the break.

Sacramento doesn't need a true point. Evans can run the offense at the two.