Can the Pacers Contend in 2010?

What do you guys think? I know that they are only 7-6, but they have competed very well with everyone this year. They only lost to Orlando by 4, and they've beaten teams like the Heat and Nuggets. The defense has been looking very solid, and our offense is very solid as well. We have great individual players in Granger, Hibbert, Collison, and then a great supporting cast in Rush (who is finally looking confident in his game), Hansbrough, McRoberts, Dunleavy, Ford, George, Foster, and Posey.

We lost by 4 to Milwaukee, 3 to Houston, and 4 to Orlando, so honestly we very easily could be 10-3. I think we have a chance to compete this year, but I want your guys' opinions.

Thoughts?

I think they could have a chance to get a playoff spot. They just have to stay consistent because right now they're having a pretty good start to the season. They can't go anywhere else though. As your username says... THE LONE GRANGER, Granger is alone, no one can win a championship by himself. I know there will be Collison and Hibbert stepping up but that's not enough to advance in the playoffs. I think they will get the 8th seed and get eliminated easily. But we'll see.

If everyone on the Pacers are able to shoot well and work together, and at last the most important is being healthy. Then I must say yes, they have gotten surprising wins this season and wow, I just like the intensity of this team.

Perfect shooting against the Denver Nuggets,

Beating the Miami Heat by 11 on their home floor,

and I believe plenty of more......

I don't think they're talented enough, though I'd like to see Hibbert...I haven't seen him play this year. They run a real good offense. Lots of movement, well-spaced, some Princeton stuff, lots of curls and pindowns into screen/rolls. I'm not sure if they have the one-on-one scorers to beat Boston, Orlando, Miami, and Chicago in the playoffs.

I don't think they're talented enough, though I'd like to see Hibbert...I haven't seen him play this year. They run a real good offense. Lots of movement, well-spaced, some Princeton stuff, lots of curls and pindowns into screen/rolls. I'm not sure if they have the one-on-one scorers to beat Boston, Orlando, Miami, and Chicago in the playoffs.

This. Basically, they just don't have the talent, depth or experience to compete in a 7-game series against any of the first round opponents they'd face in the post-season.

• Like 1

• Owner

They can snag a playoff spot if they keep it up, but I can't say they will contend for a ring this season. I haven't watched all of their games, but from those that I've seen (including the Heat game), they need to convert on those drives to the rim and hit those mid-range shots. I know they can make threes, but they just need some offensive consistency.

I'm not too surprised that they are playing pretty good defense, probably a top ten defensive team in the NBA. Granger will always be a decent to good defensive player (and he is, this season), but I'm shocked that Hibbert seems to have improved on the defensive end. The Pacers just need to get Collison on the same page, because he's having trouble...partially due to the injury, but he's had trouble for a while now, even in New Orleans (he was pretty bad, defensively, when he was in NOH, so I guess you can say he improved as well). The one that sticks out the most is Dunleavy, but you won't fix that defensive problem anytime soon.

Boston, Orlando, Chicago, and Miami would all beat the Pacers in a seven-game series. After that, though, it's hard to say.

• Like 1