Is Carmelo Anthony the NBA’s premier last-second shot maker?

Multi-Billionaire

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/files/2010/11/meloshot.jpg

Last Friday in a win over Chicago, Anthony nailed his 14th career game-winning shot, all of which have come within the final seven seconds of the game. Thirteen of Anthony’s 14 game winners have come in the regular season. In his career during the regular season, Anthony has made 15-of-33 shots (.455) that have either tied a game or given his team the lead in the final 10 seconds of the fourth quarter/overtime. The Elias Sports Bureau determined that Anthony’s 45 percent last-second shot success rate is the highest of any player with a minimum of 20 attempts since the star forward came into the league seven years ago.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2010/11/29/is-carmelo-anthony-the-nba%E2%80%99s-premier-last-second-shot-maker/

I think I would give the ball to Melo to win the game over Kobe, regular season/ playoffs.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/files/2010/11/meloshot.jpg

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2010/11/29/is-carmelo-anthony-the-nba%E2%80%99s-premier-last-second-shot-maker/

I think I would give the ball to Melo to win the game over Kobe, regular season/ playoffs.

looks at who posted it

laughs

:lol:

I'm not a Melo fan... trust me :)

This douche doesn't want to stay and play for the Nuggets... but so far I have to respect him for walking the talk when he said he's gonna play hard as long as he's a Nugget.

If Melo was no longer a Nugget today, I'd still give him (over Kobe) the ball if it means the Nuggets win.

Kobe is deadly, but he's also old now... see yesterday's Indiana game for proof! When you get older, you lose that killer instinct bit by bit. Melo is deadlier simply because he's younger and is developing killer instinct and unbreakable confidence he can make these shots.

Kobe hit how many game-winning shots last year? 6-7?

Have you been seeing "Last Season Was Last Season" ad?

Melo also had 5 of them in one season in 2005-06 if I'm not mistaken... when he was 21 years old.

It's arguable Melo hasn't reached his peak yet... and he's gonna be unbreakable when he's 29-32 yo. When his game hits peak mature performance.

Have you been seeing "Last Season Was Last Season" ad?

Kobe's been doing it for over a decade, consistently. I can pullup Youtube videos of 8+ minutes of Kobe hitting game-tying or winning shots, and that's just from '96-'04. Kobe has the ultimate killer instinct and can hit any shot on the floor, both off the dribble and in catch-and-shoot situations. He's simply better in that department.

It's arguable Melo hasn't reached his peak yet... and he's gonna be unbreakable when he's 29-32 yo.

Melo's pretty much peaked. And whether or not Melo has reached his peak has no bearing on who is the better last-second shot maker.

Melo is an excellent clutch scorer (countless game winners), but I would STILL give it to Kobe even when he's in his late 30's. He's been doing it since his early days up till now, no doubt he's one of the if not the best clutch scorer of all time.

So there's this guy named Michael Jordan...

• Owner

Nobody, past or present, has hit game-winners like Bryant has. Jordan, Melo, any of them...there are teams that have ran their two best defenders (or their best and a big man) to contest his attempt at a game-winner. New Jersey once ran three players at him (the infamous shot people always bring up when saying how Kobe is selfish and never passes up game-winners).

Impressive game-winning shooting percentage, good that it's so high...but Bryant usually always gets the last shot in LA, was the only one that would actually take it against Utah when he was a rook (in the playoffs as well), and he sees more defensive attention in those clutch moments than any player I've ever watched.

^It really annoys me seeing guys like Wade, Lebron, or Melo get the ball in the last seconds of the game and they have one defender guarding them outside the three point line because when Kobe gets it theres at least two. Oh well.

1. Kobe Bryant

2. Gilbert Arenas

3. Carmelo Anthony

Just because Arenas hasn't hit many lately, doesn't say much, he's been injured. Back in the day when he'd pull up from about 8 feet behind the three-point line and drain a game-winner, Melo would have no chance at doing that. There's no doubt that Kobe is the #1 game-winning shot maker either, but Melo does get sole possession of #3 on my list over Wade.

Not sure why people are still putting Arenas on their lists, he hasn't exactly been clutch this season.. A few years ago I said he was the second best clutch player in the league, but not anymore.

Kobe is, and will probably go down as the greatest last-second shot maker in the league. Not sure how anyone can say Melo is better..

It's very hard to make a case against Kobe as the best last second shot maker in the league, he is the best in today's game without a doubt. But Carmelo is great too though, that's true. Another player that nobody mentioned is Dirk, as a matter of fact he has nothing to do with the Dirk from 4-5 years ago in the clutch, he's definitely improved and is now among the very best clutch shooter in the league. Last season no one was better than him in the clutch except Kobe.

Well anyway if I agree that Kobe is the best in the clutch today indeed I however disagree that he's the greatest ever. Among the greatest ever ? Without a doubt. But the best ? Nope I personally think that Jordan and Bird are the best clutch shooters ever. Now it's true that Kobe has hit tough clutch shots, against two or three players. But why is that ? Simply because when the opponents sent two players on Jordan, and so one or two of his teammates were wild open, Jordan would find them instantly and give them the ball. Same for Larry. While Kobe tends to take the shot anyway... Which is not particularly clever. Kobe doesn't always make the right choice in the clutch. Jordan and Bird were more clever and that is why I give them the edge for best clutch shooters ever.

• Owner

It's very hard to make a case against Kobe as the best last second shot maker in the league, he is the best in today's game without a doubt. But Carmelo is great too though, that's true. Another player that nobody mentioned is Dirk, as a matter of fact he has nothing to do with the Dirk from 4-5 years ago in the clutch, he's definitely improved and is now among the very best clutch shooter in the league. Last season no one was better than him in the clutch except Kobe.

Well anyway if I agree that Kobe is the best in the clutch today indeed I however disagree that he's the greatest ever. Among the greatest ever ? Without a doubt. But the best ? Nope I personally think that Jordan and Bird are the best clutch shooters ever. Now it's true that Kobe has hit tough clutch shots, against two or three players. But why is that ? Simply because when the opponents sent two players on Jordan, and so one or two of his teammates were wild open, Jordan would find them instantly and give them the ball. Same for Larry. While Kobe tends to take the shot anyway... Which is not particularly clever. Kobe doesn't always make the right choice in the clutch. Jordan and Bird were more clever and that is why I give them the edge for best clutch shooters ever.

Kobe doesn't make the right decisions by taking the shot? Have you seen what has happened the last two times he has passed to Ron Artest for a last-second shot, just within the last two weeks?

Did you see the only time he looked to Odom for a game-winner? Lamar airballed an 18-footer with not a single person near him.

Luke Walton? He passed it right back to Kobe with zero on the clock (against the Knicks).

There's a big difference between Kerr, Paxson, Kukoc, Pippen, Armstrong, Hodges, and Harper...versus Odom, Walton, Cook, Smush, George, and Vujacic. The only clutch player Bryant has had by his side has been Fisher, and teams do not leave Fish open most of the time. Even at that, the only time Fisher has hit a clutch shot that has been defended was against the Spurs. Most of the others, Bryant has made the play (ex. Orlando, play out of the post where he supposedly fouled Nelson).

Bryant is the greatest clutch player in the history of the game partially because he's not stupid enough to pass up the most important shots. He has the most game-winners in NBA history, and nobody defends other players like they do him, which isn't even arguable.

When a player hits a game-winner, in Denver, after being late to the game due to a court trial, with fans booing every second he was involved in the game...or when he hits a three after having someone draped on him, then a fadeaway buzzer-beating three the same game to win the division...or drilling a fadeaway jumper in a playoff game with an excellent defender and a lanky defender both in his grill...it's no question who you pass the ball to when you need a game-winner.

^Kobe missed against Pacers (badly) and Rockets (twice)... He and Melo are afforded the last shots because their teams want them to take those last shots.

But Melo's percentage is somewhere around 45% in game winning situations since he came to the L (2003) which is above Kobe.

Sure you can have the most game winners in NBA history if you take every game winning shot for 15 years (it must be like hundreds of them?).

But the point is, the way Melo is going (clutchest, best game-winning field goal percentage), he will one day overtake Kobe as the most game winners in NBA history.

^Kobe missed against Pacers (badly) and Rockets (twice)... He and Melo are afforded the last shots because their teams want them to take those last shots.

But Melo's percentage is somewhere around 45% in game winning situations since he came to the L (2003) which is above Kobe.

Sure you can have the most game winners in NBA history if you take every game winning shot for 15 years (it must be like hundreds of them?).

But the point is, the way Melo is going (clutchest, best game-winning field goal percentage), he will one day overtake Kobe as the most game winners in NBA history.

Is Melo getting the entire team on him in the last few seconds though? no

I was a hardcore (yep) Kobe fan before so I am not clueless about his game... this double-triple teamed in game winning situations occurred, but NOT every time like you Laker fans seem to make them to be. See the video below and the breakdown:

- 0:48: guarded one-on-one by Hornets' George Lynch

- 1:37: guarded one on one by Suns' Shawn Marion

- 1:50: guarded one-on-one by Mavs' Jason Terry

- 2:05: guarded one-on-one by Grizzlies' Shane Battier

- 2:24: guarded one-on-one by Nuggets' pitiful defense Jon Barry :(

- 2:45: guarded one-on-one by Rockets' slow footed Yao Ming

- 2:53: guarded one-on-one by who is that??

- 3:06: Kobe broke free and found himself alone enough in time to shoot over a late-rotating Blazers' Ratliff

- 3:22: double- then triple teamed against Clippers

- 3:40: guarded one-on-one by a Charlotte Bobcat

- 3:48: double teamed by Nuggets' Andre Miller and Eduardo Najera

- 4:06: double teamed by two Suns

- 4:14: double teamed by Cavs' LeBron James and Zydrunas Ilgauskas

- 4:35: double teamed by Suns' Jason Kidd and Rodney Rogers

- 5:12: double-triple teamed by Nets

- 5:22: guarded one-on-one by Heat' Dwyane Wade

- 5:46: guarded one-on-one by Bucks' Charlie Bell

- 6:01: not even defended after Kobe pushed off Kings' Beno Udridh

- 6:31: guarded one-on-one by Celtics' Ray Allen

- 6:54: guarded one-on-one by a screened Grizzlies' OJ Mayo... and then game winning 3 over a late-rotating Rudy Gay

- 7:21: double-teamed by Raptors' ??? and Andrea Bargnani

- 7:51: guarded one-on-one by Spurs' Bruce Bowen

Only 7 out of the 22 plays above, was Kobe double/ triple teamed.

Not in the video: (over Rip in Game 2 2004 NBA Finals)

My point is stop acting like ALL of Kobe's winners were double/ triple teamed. Most teams would prefer to play great team defense no matter how great/ clutch an individual player is. I bet not even half of Kobe's game winners were double/ triple teamed.

• Like 1