Phil Jasner

Phightins

The long time Sixers beat writer for the Philadelphia Daily News is now in hospice, apparently about to lose his battle with cancer. Not sure how many of you have ever read his work or know who he is, but if you have ever posted a link on OTR to a Sixers story, there's a good chance you have posted some of Jasner's work. The Philadelphia sports media scene is about to lose a great one. Very sad.

Damn dude. :(

Was always my favorite Philadelphia sports writer, too. Always made it a point to check for his articles first when looking for news on the Sixers. Very sad news.

• Owner

Looks like most outside of the Philly fanbase have no idea who he is, which makes sense because even I don't know him all that well.

I have read some of his articles, though. The one I remember most (and ironically, the one that I last read) was an article about the Heat. He wrote it before the season started, if I recall correctly, and it was pretty good. Not a bad writer, at ALL, and he seemed to be loved by a lot of the fanbase.

Hate hearing how people are losing their battles with cancer. Seems to happen more often these days. RIP.

Nice of AI. And yeah, he was pretty big around here. He was a regular guest on the "Daily News Live" TV program that I have watched since I was a kid, so that's how I got familiar with him. All of his fellow writers have tons of respect for him.

The outpouring of tweets about him is kind of crazy. His name is now on the US trending list. I knew he was a great writer, and from watching him on TV all those times he seemed like a great dude, but I honestly had no clue what kind of impact he had until now.

Also, Rich Hofmann, perhaps my favorite current sports writer, absolutely nails the obituary.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20101203_Phil_Jasner__Sixers_beat_writer__dies_at_age_68.html

Edited by Phightins