Why don't NBA players work on consistent half-court shots?

Guest STL10

Think about it...

Everyone is lazy when you cross the half-court line, so why don't guys like LeBron who have more strength work more on shooting from half-court?

It would SERIOUSLY stretch the floor if people had to start guarding you at half-court, and it could change basketball as we know it.

Think about it...

Everyone is lazy when you cross the half-court line, so why don't guys like LeBron who have more strength work more on shooting from half-court?

It would SERIOUSLY stretch the floor if people had to start guarding you at half-court, and it could change basketball as we know it.

Because it's really hard, and really inefficient, and really hard, and the goals of most offenses are to score as close as possible---layups and threes just beyond the arc---and it's really hard.

If you chuck a 50-footer, the defense has prevented a layup and allowed a really tough three. Plus, if you do it early in the shot clock, you've prevented the opposing team from even trying on defense.

Plus most good defenses pressure the ball when it's brought up the court.

This sounds like a question that would be asked by Antoine Walker...

Edited by Erick Blasco
  • Like 3

• Owner

Chill.

You could assume that, with enough practice, players would adjust and be able to shoot them like threes, but that's not true.

Ten-footers, with defense, you could hit 60% from as a pro (and, of course, this is just an approximation).

Double that, just extend it out to the three, and you're talking half of that (30% or so) for the average player.

The half-court line is 47 feet out, so you're talking nearly double that (three-pointers are almost 24 feet out). Cut that percentage in half again (to 15%) and that's if the player decided he was going to work on those shots full-time.

I doubt any coach would want players taking shots that they could only hit 15% of the time. Might as well ask Shaq to take threes.

One guy is already way ahead of you. It is this man.

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090529/115919.jpg

I wouldn't doubt that...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/S9oT8YCk-kI/AAAAAAAACOU/ZDD-out2Ins/s400/11.jpg

He's probably already establishing a full court jumper.

Edited by Poe

Lol is this thread serious? Ice scrolled through each post and I still can't stop laughing from the OP at first I though he meant for like end of the quarter buzzer beaters but he legit wants guys hosting 45 ft jumpshots lmao. No it would not spread the floor the defender isntngoung far past the 3pt line of he pasts it at all.

^^ Get over yourself already. Honestly. ^^

I played J.R. Smith in HS, and he was making them consistently from midcourt... So yes. It is possible. lmao

If that's in regards to my post...sorry to bother your forum experience, princess.

Edited by Flash