Harrison Barnes falls in mock drafts

Dash

Draftexpress and NBAdraft have dropped him to the #3 spot. Draftexpress has Irving going #1 and NBAdraft has Jones as the top pick followed by Irving. This comes as no suprise considering his struggles early on the season but still time for him to turn it around.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

http://www.nbadraft.net/

A great read from Jonathan Givony on Irving:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Kyrie-Irving-3591/

• Owner

About time. Once I started seeing the Heels play and fall to teams they were supposed to beat, and seeing Barnes not able to step up and change those games, it was clear he wasn't worthy of the top pick in the draft. I would say he's not even top three right now.

He's got a lot of work to do.

He won't be coming out his first season I don't think. He'll be in the draft after his sophmore season if you ask me, because I think he'll realize that he just isn't NBA ready yet. Stay in school, focus on life, and also getting a more NBA-ready game and body, and then take your talents to the NBA after another season at UNC. Why not? Walker will be the #2 pick for sure, and maybe even get arguments for #1.

• 2 months later...
Harrison Barnes hit another clutch shot to give No. 13 North Carolina a 72-70 win over Florida State, guaranteeing the Tar Heels an opportunity to play for an outright ACC championship against Duke on Saturday.

Barnes is averaging 17.9 points and 6.4 rebounds during UNC's past 10 games.

Tar Heels coach Roy Wiliams called for an NBA-style isolation play at the top of the key and Barnes decided to pull the trigger from long-range.

It was the latest bit of evidence that suggests Williams trusts Barnes immensely, and another sign that Barnes is beginning to fulfill his potential.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211735/Harrison_Barnes_Surging_Down_Stretch#ixzz1FZEsjNKc

It is amazing what a player can do when playing alongside a competent point guard. It is no coincidence that both Barnes and UNC started turning their season around once Drew left the team and Marshall was inserted into the starting lineup.

As for Barnes himself, his season is alarmingly similar to DeMar DeRozan's freshman season at USC. Both were considered can't miss prospects coming out of high school (both were ranked #1 for their positions and considered the top high school recruits) and both had huge expectations from their respective programs with UNC playing in the NIT the year before Barnes' arrival and DeRozan filling in for Mayo. Both of them got off to slow starts and fell down mock drafts to the mid to late lottery but by the time that conference tournament came along, both picked their games up (DeRozan won MVP and Barnes has been clutch as hell for UNC) and scouts started taking notice of them again. I still think the Raptors were lucky to land DeRozan at 9 and it is looking like a team will experience the same thing with Barnes should he fall out of the top 3-5 like he is projected to as of right now.

He is still, and has always been, number 2 on my Raptor draft list all season long. There is no denying the guys talent and honestly, what freshman wouldn't struggle with those ridiculous expectations that Barnes was faced with? The guy has NBA level skill, sounds like he has a great work ethic, seems to have a great head on his shoulders and just has an outstanding feel for the game. It was only a matter of time before he started to figure things out and start playing well. He is too talented not to.

• Like 4

I've watched him play a few times now, and although he's pretty smooth, I find him very overrated.

When did you watch him play? I can understand thinking he is overrated considering the hype that he had coming into UNC (although I don't think that makes him any less of a prospect, he just isn't the immediate impact freshman he was made out to be), but you can't really judge him based on his play from the start of the season as he has grown tremendously since then.

Just watching him his game looks so polished for a 19 year old. I think he's going to translate real well into the NBA. His jumper, when its on is unstoppable. He can beat you in a ton of different ways and he's a smart player, a very smart player. Look at the game winner against FSU. Williams called an NBA type iso and Barnes just dibbled to the line, rose up and drilled it over the defender.

Can anybody give me a description as to what specifically in Barnes' abilities (or lacking) as a basketball player makes him better or worse than Irving and/or Jones? This is just out of curiosity since I don't watch college ball or keep track of high school ranks.

Sounds like he struggles to create his own shot and lacks athleticism, pretty bad handle and not a quick first step either. Just going off what I've read though, have barely watched him play.

Despite all the negative talk around him, a Barnes-Derozan SF/SG duo is something I would be extremely excited about lol.

Edited by Check my Stats

Sounds like he struggles to create his own shot and lacks athleticism.

Doesn't really lack athleticism as much as he isn't a freak athlete. He has a nice first step, can finish at the rim and isn't what I would consider to be slow, but he doesn't blow you away with his athletic ability like a lot of the past top picks have (like Wall, Griffin, Rose, etc...). His game is more based on reading and reacting and using his solid feel for the defense more than just simply dominating with his athletic ability, though.

As for creating his own shot, he is good at creating seperation to just a jumper off, but he still has a lot of work to do on his handles in order for him to be able to consistently get to the rim. I think some of it has to due with the fact that college is such a perimeter oriented game with the shorter 3 point line and the no defensive three second rule allowing teams to pack the paint, but it isn't the strongest part of his game. I do believe that it will be easier for him at the next level when there is more spacing and the lane isn't as clogged up as it is in college.

One of the reasons why I want him on the Raptors so much is because he is better off of the ball than he is wth it. He can space the floor with his shooting while DeRozan will do more of the slashing. I think the two of them would mesh really well together.

Can anybody give me a description as to what specifically in Barnes' abilities (or lacking) as a basketball player makes him better or worse than Irving and/or Jones? This is just out of curiosity since I don't watch college ball or keep track of high school ranks.

Well, Irving is just a better prospect overall. He is great at running an offense, near unstoppable in transition, good shooter, good playmaker and I would say has the higher upside as well. The only real reason to be weary of Irving is this toe injury that has forced him to miss basically the entire season, although that still isn't enough to scare gms away from picking him. Pretty much, he is without a doubt the top prospect in this years draft and basically everybody feels that way.

As for Jones (I'm assuming you mean Perry and not Terrence), he is more of a boom or bust kind of player. He definitely has more upside, but I think there is a much greater chance of him becoming a bust. I can't comment specifically on his game as I haven't been able to match many Baylor games and even then, Baylor's guard play is awful which makes Jones' game stand out even less considering he doesn't get as many touches, but I think a lot of his worth as a prospect hinges on whether or not he will be able to play the 3 in the pros. As a 4, I don't think he is an elite prospect, but if he can make the transition to a small forward, he definitely is worth a team taking a chance on.

Barnes has two surefire things going for him. He is a good shooter (don't let the numbers fool you as he has great form and mechanics and working with NBA shooting coaches will do wonders for him) and is going to be a very good defender at the next level. There are questions about his ability to create his own offense and his desire to be the man and other things, but he has two skills that are very transferable to the next level, which is why I believe he will have a successful career at the next level. He doesn't have the upside that Irving or Jones do, but he is a much more sure thing than Jones is (I think Irving is a sure thing too).

I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't caught enough games as of late with school and work to really get down into specific details.

• Like 1

I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't caught enough games as of late with school and work to really get down into specific details.

Thanks a lot for giving what you know. You gave me a better picture than what I've started with.

It's of my belief that GMs should always pick the best quality player, not the players that might turn out good (depending how complete the current team is - a team like the Celtics should probably use their picks on a "potential" guy). For this reason, I'd most probably choose Barnes over Perry (assuming there aren't any better players other than Irving). From there, see what skills he already fully possesses, see what assets that are incomplete and need solidifying, and see what elements he needs to add to his game.

For Perry, it sounds like his main - or maybe his only - asset is his size for his possible position. If that's the case, then NBA teams would have to completely mold him into a basketball player. That's taking blind chances, because you don't know where the prime of his abilities lies, even if he is a hard worker. You don't know how much range he can gain, how well he can potentially post, his willingness to rebound at the NBA level, etc. You can tell that some things may come easier with having that size and athleticism, but basically like you said, he may break through or he may bust.

'Potential' to me is a vague word. Players start out with a set of skills and abilities, and how much the player will actually improve is unknown. Any player can become good.

Well with that said, Barnes does sound like he could be a good pick up for the Raptors, though it would be ignorant for me to say for sure.

Sounds like he struggles to create his own shot and lacks athleticism, pretty bad handle and not a quick first step either. Just going off what I've read though, have barely watched him play

That is about accurate...His dribbling isn't all that great, and he isn't that fast...but he is very smooth. Reminds me a little of James Harden when I say "smooth." Just an all-round SOLID game, but he doesn't jump out as me as a real exciting talent like many analysts and people thought they were getting at UNC.

He's scary good. Easily the best player on the floor tonight without a doubt.

I'd have to disagree. He doesn't impress me that much. I like the tempo he plays at, and he plays more like a Sr than a Fr, I agree with the fact he's pretty damn polished as a Fr but I don't think he's as good as advertised. His shot seems rather inconsistent, his ball handling isn't that great as he tends to have his head down a lot of the times he's trying to take it to the hoop. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but he's absolutely over-hyped.

Just set an ACC tournament record for most points by a freshman with 40 (on 12-17 shooting and 6-8 from three) including 14 points in overtime.

Since Marshall was inserted into the starting lineup, he is averaging:

19.6/6.4/1.4 with 1.4 steals, .5 blocks. 47% FG, 38% 3pt, 81% FT in 30.7 minutes.

He has really picked it up in the latter half of the season. It is making my DeRozan comparision look even more fitting with the way that he has stepped up his play in the ACC tournament and is looking likely to win the MVP, should UNC manage to win the Finals.

I think atleast half of Barnes points came off open looks. Still props to him for knocking down those shots, he has a really smooth effortless stroke. What I admire about him most is that fact he isn't scared to take big shots, he always comes up huge in critical junctures.