Melo Fixated On Knicks But Denver Looks To Deal With Nets

ChosenOne

Denver has resolved to trade Carmelo Anthony if he does not sign a contract extension with the Nuggets before the trade deadline.

Denver believes that Anthony, who is described as fixated on the prospect of joining the Knicks, is willing to wait out the entire season and sign as a free agent in New York.

But the Nuggets are not enamored with the players the Knicks would offer to acquire Anthony by trade before the deadline -- Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph -- and still hold out hope of sending Anthony to the Nets.

Rival executives doubt that Anthony would agree to a contract extension with New Jersey but sources in close contact with the superstar's representatives say that the Nets remain an option for him.

If Anthony does sign off on a move to New Jersey, the Nets' trade offer would center around Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and draft picks. The Nuggets reportedly are no longer interested in taking back long-term contracts to fill the gap that would be left by Anthony -- by seeking to acquire Andre Iguodala for instance -- but are apparently willing to take on Harris, whose contract runs two more years after this season.

RealGM

Edited by ChosenOne

Well the only option for him now is to wait out the entire season and sign as a free agent in New York and he is clearly willing to do so. I respect the fact that Melo is being completely open and honest about the whole thing and isn’t hiding anything and he is also not letting it affect his play.

I think he does not want Melo because of "how much" Nets have to give up to get him.

Which is... stupid, honestly.

Melo alone with bunch of craps can lead that franchise into the playoffs. In Melo's second season (2004-05), he led us to the playoffs while our team:

- playing without a shooting guard/ 3 pt shooter for the whole year (Voshon Lenard injured on opening night and out for season).

- going 17-25 in our first 42 games under coach Jeff Bzdelik and Michael Cooper

Melo and Lopez would be quite devastating. He would make Lopez a winner.

Melo is one of the few sure tickets for any team to the playoffs year in, year out. And I'm not even a Melo fan. It's the truth.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

I think he does not want Melo because of "how much" Nets have to give up to get him.

Which is... stupid, honestly.

Melo alone with bunch of craps can lead that franchise into the playoffs. In Melo's second season (2004-05), he led us to the playoffs while our team:

- playing without a shooting guard/ 3 pt shooter for the whole year (Voshon Lenard injured on opening night and out for season).

- going 17-25 in our first 42 games under coach Jeff Bzdelik and Michael Cooper

Melo and Lopez would be quite devastating. He would make Lopez a winner.

Melo is one of the few sure tickets for any team to the playoffs year in, year out. And I'm not even a Melo fan. It's the truth.

Well I'm a Melo fan and I really don't think just being a playoff team would be satisfying and that is all we'd be with Melo.

Add that to the fact that Favors will be in the starting lineup soon so we'd be trading away two starters for a position we just signed until 2014.

If he wants to come play in Brooklyn then great, we can try and get him in the off-season rather than trading draft picks when we are already not that good of a team.

You'd be actually lucky to trade two starters in exchange for a super-star(ter).

There's no way in hell Melo signs with Nets in the summer when he can sign with the Knicks (already in New York btw), especially for the same money.

If I was Denver GM, I'd be asking for your trouble kid T-Will too... and I'm pretty sure the Nets would oblige if it means landing Carmelo Anthony, even if it might be against Avery's wishes. The thought of not only playoffs, but a superstar putting seats and merchandise sales, competing night in night out would be too much to pass up.

You'd be actually lucky to trade two starters in exchange for a super-star(ter).

There's no way in hell Melo signs with Nets in the summer when he can sign with the Knicks (already in New York btw), especially for the same money.

If I was Denver GM, I'd be asking for your trouble kid T-Will too... and I'm pretty sure the Nets would oblige if it means landing Carmelo Anthony, even if it might be against Avery's wishes. The thought of not only playoffs, but a superstar putting seats and merchandise sales, competing night in night out would be too much to pass up.

Then why would they trade two starters for a guy that you state: "There's no way in hell Melo signs with Nets in the summer".

:lol:

The most likely scenario in my opinion is that Melo will go to the Knicks in the off season.

The Nets aren't going to trade for him if he doesn't sign the extension.

The Knicks aren't going to trade for him if they know he is going to come to them in the off-season anyways. They save their money, young talent, and future picks.

The only people that are going to get fucked in the end are the Nuggets.

Then why would they trade two starters for a guy that you state: "There's no way in hell Melo signs with Nets in the summer".

Well, if he has the option of going to Knicks or Nets... he will definitely choose the Knicks, being the franchise already in New York, his preferred destination, and especially now that the Knicks are playing great with Amare and Felton.

Melo has NOT ruled out signing extension with the Nets. If he gets traded to Nets this season... Nets being in New Jersey (and the fact that they are soon relocating to Brooklyn) are pretty much in New York area. I'm saying, if he gets traded to Nets this season, I can't see him opt out and sign with the Knicks for A LOT LESS just because the Knicks are "legitimately" in New York. It's ridiculous. We'd be talking about taking a HUGE paycut just to move from New Jersey to New York? If he signs extension with Nets it's $22mil per season... if he opts out his contract will be (as rumored) around $15 mil per season.

In short:

- If from Denver, I can see Melo taking a huge paycut just to move to New York.

- But if from New Jersey (if he gets traded there this season), I cannot see Melo taking a huge paycut just to move to New York. It doesn't make sense. New Jersey (soon relocating to Brooklyn) is already pretty damn close to New York.

If he gets traded to New Jersey, I would have my money on him signing extension.

Well, if he has the option of going to Knicks or Nets... he will definitely choose the Knicks, being the franchise already in New York, his preferred destination, and especially now that the Knicks are playing great with Amare and Felton.

Melo has NOT ruled out signing extension with the Nets. If he gets traded to Nets this season... Nets being in New Jersey (and the fact that they are soon relocating to Brooklyn) are pretty much in New York area. I'm saying, if he gets traded to Nets this season, I can't see him opt out and sign with the Knicks for A LOT LESS just because the Knicks are "legitimately" in New York. It's ridiculous. We'd be talking about taking a HUGE paycut just to move from New Jersey to New York? If he signs extension with Nets it's $22mil per season... if he opts out his contract will be (as rumored) around $15 mil per season.

In short:

- If from Denver, I can see Melo taking a huge paycut just to move to New York.

- But if from New Jersey (if he gets traded there this season), I cannot see Melo taking a huge paycut just to move to New York. It doesn't make sense. New Jersey (soon relocating to Brooklyn) is already pretty damn close to New York.

If he gets traded to New Jersey, I would have my money on him signing extension.

Well you need to put your money on the fact that we won't trade for him unless he agrees to sign the extension. :lol:

I believe Melo's card now (as far as location is concerned) is:

- New York: #1 choice

- New Jersey: #2 choice (they're close to New York, they're relocating to Brooklyn soon, too)... pretty damn good destination.

But he's trying to bluff that he is not interested in the Nets because... why? Because he wants to go to New York. It's his #1 choice. Why settle for #2 choice when you can possibly bluff your way to get your #1 choice??

He's hoping we will trade him this season to the Knicks, he will agree to an extension before the trade is finalized.

BUT IF YOU TRADE HIM TO THE NETS, his option of going to New York in the summer as a free agent is considerably different in New Jersey as a Net, than it is in Denver as a Nugget.

I cannot imagine someone/ anyone taking a $7 mil pay cut PER SEASON just to move from New Jersey to New York. "I WANT TO PLAY IN NEW YORK SO BADLY, I'LL TAKE A $7 MIL PAYCUT TO MOVE THERE FROM... NEW JERSEY (A TEAM THAT IS SOON RELOCATING TO NEW YORK ITSELF)."

I can see him taking a $7 mil pay cut PER SEASON to move from Denver to New York.

From New Jersey to New York? New Jersey/ Brooklyn ain't New York city but that's just financially retardish.

You do realize almost all the Nets players live in New York?

It's not about NY and NJ for him IMO, he wants to play with his buds and one of his buds is on a certian team. If the Nets planned for Melo, then they'd just traded less for Paul and hope he thinks Lopez/Paul is a better duo than Amare and whatever they have.

I really don't understand what the point you are trying to make. Are you saying the Nets need to trade two superstars or the Nuggets will let him walk to New York City?

It's not about NY and NJ for him IMO, he wants to play with his buds and one of his buds is on a certian team.

He wants New York because:

1.) it's his hometown,

2.) it's a huge market that will see his endorsements and his wife's TV career shoot up

Then maybe you can list "playing with his buds" 3rd on that list. Amare is friends with Melo, but Melo has many "good" friends around the L... this is no Steve Francis - Cuttino Mobley BBF thing.

I really don't understand what the point you are trying to make. Are you saying the Nets need to trade two superstars or the Nuggets will let him walk to New York City?

Two ways Melo leaves Denver:

1.) via free agency

2.) via trade

Let's explore each in-depth:

1.) via free agency

By not signing extension, and opting out of his current contract, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. He can choose any team (that has cap) to sign... who do you think he will choose? Knicks or Nets? Remember he has a choice. Remember also, Knicks and Nets offer the same money. Hint: it's not the Nets.

2.) via trade

Most likely what will happen, since the Nuggets are 100% FULLY AWARE that Melo will leave them for New York via free agency if they do not trade him before February deadline. So they WILL trade him, rather than lose him for nothing.

Thing is, Melo KNOWS the Nuggets will trade him because of the fact above. So, his hope of signing with the Knicks in the summer as a free agent is slim to none. And he KNOWS it. Now, if he's traded, he CANNOT CONTROL where he gets traded to, as opposed to having the choice as a free agent.

Melo KNOWS this, and also KNOWS the Nets offer the best package so far and he's likely to be dealt there. So pretty much, the day as a Net is pretty soon. But here it is: trade HAS NOT happened yet, so he will BLUFF the best way he can (while he's not traded yet) such as: "who says I want to play for the Nets?" "I will not sign extension if I get traded to Nets" in an attempt to scare Nets (from bidding) and if the Nets are scared trade will not happen.

But suppose the Nuggets do trade him to the Nets ANYWAY, in spite of his warnings of not signing extension... Once he is in New Jersey, everything changes. Now he has been traded to New Jersey, do you think he will really say, "watch as I opt out this summer and sign with the Knicks." If he signs extension with the Nets, he will do it under CURRENT CBA which should be (for him) around $22 mil per season. If he signs a contract with Knicks this summer, he will be signed under NEXT CBA which should be around $15 mil per season. That's about $7 mil contract difference.

Now taking a $7 mil paycut in his prime age where he's supposed to cash in as many max contracts as he can (while he can) because:

He wants to move from New Jersey to New York... really? When New Jersey is already pretty damn close to New York itself, and the fact that the Nets are relocating to Brooklyn... Don't you think it's a [expletive]ed up reason?

I can understand taking a $7 mil paycut because he moves from Denver to New York... because Denver is cold, it's high altitude, it's a small market.

But New Jersey is a different city than Denver, and from there his playing cards will be considerably different.

---

Summary:

- If Melo is traded to Nets, he will sign an extension there

- If Nuggets don't trade him after the Feb deadline, he will leave Nuggets for Knicks in the summer.

- THE ONLY WAY for Nets to land Melo is via trade, taking the bluff risk that "he will not sign there" with fingers crossed. In other words, the Nets canNOT be scared of Melo's threat of not signing extension if they want ANY HOPE of landing him. But once Melo is in New Jersey, I bet my money on his changing his language of the whole situation, meaning he will change his stance from "I'm not signing extension" to "give me the pen, I'll sign extension... Screw it, New Jersey is just across the river of New York... and the Nets will relocate to Brooklyn anyway... I ain't losing $7 mil per just for playing for the Knicks when I'm already in New Jersey.".

If you don't understand, I give up.

Taking a "bluff risk" is not worth trading the future of your franchise away, which is why no deal will ever get done with this [expletive]. The Nuggets are asking for way too much for a team that is going to have their backs against the wall very soon. Either you guys can trade him to the Knicks, or he will go there in the offseason. Like the title says, that mother [expletive]er is FIXATED on the Knicks.

The bluff is also meant to (besides scare the Nets) make the Nuggets think Knicks are the only trade partner. That's the whole point of the bluff, for the Nuggets to say, "alright we'll trade with the Knicks since Nets back off".

Gallinari, Randolph, Chandler? No thanks.

But according to Marc Stein (NBA #1 source), there's some teams (Dallas and Houston among them) willing to trade for him without getting his extension assurances. These teams are said to be confident in their ability to convince Melo to stay and sign extension with their teams. If this is true, the Nuggets just get considerably more leverage.

He wants New York because:

1.) it's his hometown,

2.) it's a huge market that will see his endorsements and his wife's TV career shoot up

Then maybe you can list "playing with his buds" 3rd on that list. Amare is friends with Melo, but Melo has many "good" friends around the L... this is no Steve Francis - Cuttino Mobley BBF thing.

His hometown is Brooklyn.

At his wedding which is one of the biggest days of his life, who was making the toast?

Two ways Melo leaves Denver:

1.) via free agency

2.) via trade

Let's explore each in-depth:

1.) via free agency

By not signing extension, and opting out of his current contract, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. He can choose any team (that has cap) to sign... who do you think he will choose? Knicks or Nets? Remember he has a choice. Remember also, Knicks and Nets offer the same money. Hint: it's not the Nets.

I'm glad we are talking with Carmelo's personal assistant.

I know he most likely would not sign with the Nets in the offseason hence why it's pointless to trade starters and picks for a guy but you clearly can't rule out Nets of having zero percent chance because by the offseason, the roster could be completely different.

2.) via trade

Most likely what will happen, since the Nuggets are 100% FULLY AWARE that Melo will leave them for New York via free agency if they do not trade him before February deadline. So they WILL trade him, rather than lose him for nothing.

Thing is, Melo KNOWS the Nuggets will trade him because of the fact above. So, his hope of signing with the Knicks in the summer as a free agent is slim to none. And he KNOWS it. Now, if he's traded, he CANNOT CONTROL where he gets traded to, as opposed to having the choice as a free agent.

Melo KNOWS this, and also KNOWS the Nets offer the best package so far and he's likely to be dealt there. So pretty much, the day as a Net is pretty soon. But here it is: trade HAS NOT happened yet, so he will BLUFF the best way he can (while he's not traded yet) such as: "who says I want to play for the Nets?" "I will not sign extension if I get traded to Nets" in an attempt to scare Nets (from bidding) and if the Nets are scared trade will not happen.

But suppose the Nuggets do trade him to the Nets ANYWAY, in spite of his warnings of not signing extension... Once he is in New Jersey, everything changes. Now he has been traded to New Jersey, do you think he will really say, "watch as I opt out this summer and sign with the Knicks." If he signs extension with the Nets, he will do it under CURRENT CBA which should be (for him) around $22 mil per season. If he signs a contract with Knicks this summer, he will be signed under NEXT CBA which should be around $15 mil per season. That's about $7 mil contract difference.

Now taking a $7 mil paycut in his prime age where he's supposed to cash in as many max contracts as he can (while he can) because:

He wants to move from New Jersey to New York... really? When New Jersey is already pretty damn close to New York itself, and the fact that the Nets are relocating to Brooklyn... Don't you think it's a [expletive]ed up reason?

I can understand taking a $7 mil paycut because he moves from Denver to New York... because Denver is cold, it's high altitude, it's a small market.

But New Jersey is a different city than Denver, and from there his playing cards will be considerably different.

---

Summary:

- If Melo is traded to Nets, he will sign an extension there

- If Nuggets don't trade him after the Feb deadline, he will leave Nuggets for Knicks in the summer.

- THE ONLY WAY for Nets to land Melo is via trade, taking the bluff risk that "he will not sign there" with fingers crossed. In other words, the Nets canNOT be scared of Melo's threat of not signing extension if they want ANY HOPE of landing him. But once Melo is in New Jersey, I bet my money on his changing his language of the whole situation, meaning he will change his stance from "I'm not signing extension" to "give me the pen, I'll sign extension... Screw it, New Jersey is just across the river of New York... and the Nets will relocate to Brooklyn anyway... I ain't losing $7 mil per just for playing for the Knicks when I'm already in New Jersey.".

If you don't understand, I give up.

You keep using New Jersey as a "different city" yet I clearly wrote how most of the Nets players live in New York. Heck, right now the Nets have one of the better arenas in the NBA and they are getting something world class to play in New York City.

As for the money issue, Carmelo was on the Forbes richest people under twenty. If I've added it correctly he has made $120 million dollars and the guy is a mere 26 years old.

Like you I don't know what's going on with him since we don't know him but there is a point where money isn't worth sacraficing being on a loser for the next five years.....just ask Baron Davis.

His hometown is Brooklyn.

At his wedding which is one of the biggest days of his life, who was making the toast?

Dude... whatever... New York area is New York area. I know the Nets are moving to Brooklyn, but New York city is pretty damn close to Brooklyn itself. If you weigh the pros and cons... and have the choice, any athlete would prefer to play for a bigger franchise like the Knicks than the Nets... especially now the Knicks are actually good (12-1 in the last 13 games) and Nets are still struggling.

I'm glad we are talking with Carmelo's personal assistant.

I know he most likely would not sign with the Nets in the offseason hence why it's pointless to trade starters and picks for a guy but you clearly can't rule out Nets of having zero percent chance because by the offseason, the roster could be completely different.

Dude the reason why I said Melo would not sign with the Nets in the offseason is that he HAS A CHOICE to sign with the Knicks. In other words, this would be more about "signing with the Knicks", than it is more about "not signing with the Nets". A lot more. This is not to say the Nets are an absolute crap team Melo won't agree to play for... the reason why he won't sign with Nets (as a free agent in the summer... if it happens) is because he would be able to sign with the Knicks. For the same money. Simple as that.

But if you take out the Knicks out of equation, e.g. suppose they don't have cap to sign him. And he becomes a FA in the summer, the Nets would clearly be on top of Melo's list... at least if the decision is based on:

- Proximity to his hometown

- Talent wise... they're not bad especially if they keep Lopez, Harris, Favors, Williams

- Solid ownership and coaching

We've certainly seen LeBron bolt his own hometown for a bigger market... it really depends on Melo... how big of importance "hometown" is to him.

BUT...

If you trade him, it's all a different story. Like I said, he doesn't have a choice or say in any trade, except for "I'm not resigning" threats. I certainly am not Carmelo Anthony... so I don't know what is in his mind.

But it really takes simple logic. If the Nets trade him regardless of his "threat"... the fact would be Carmelo Anthony is a New Jersey Net. Pretend you're Carmelo, would you really say no to the extension offer from the Nets (as much as $22 mil per season under CURRENT CBA) then opt out in the summer to be a free agent and then sign with the Knicks (reporetedly about as much as 35% paycut, which is about $15 mil per season under NEXT CBA).

Why the heck would you (if you're Carmelo) take a $7 mil paycut per season for the next 4 years just to move from New Jersey/ Brooklyn to New York (15-20 mins drive)? This is not "sacrificing $7 mil per season for the sake of moving from Colorado area to New York area"... which would be understandable for a rich athlete. We're talking about "sacrificing $7 mil per season for the sake of moving from New York area to New York area"... which is madness, even for a rich athlete.

As for the money issue, Carmelo was on the Forbes richest people under twenty. If I've added it correctly he has made $120 million dollars and the guy is a mere 26 years old.

Like you I don't know what's going on with him since we don't know him but there is a point where money isn't worth sacraficing being on a loser for the next five years.....just ask Baron Davis.

Dude... you can't judge. When you make millions, $100 million may sound like "you don't need any more money in your life". But that's because you're speaking from a middle class perspective with middle class mentality, not $100 mil rich perspective mentality. But I guarantee, if you somehow have that much money in your bank account someday, your lifestyle (expenses) also shoot up... Antoine Walker had $110+ mil, thought he's good for life, and it's all gone now...

It's not only the fear of bankruptcy (as different people have different financial IQs), but money also represents "status". When discussing $100 mil, you can't say it with a "middle class" mentality and say "If I have $100 mil, I won't need any more money" because I GUARANTEE if you have $100 mil, your language will also change. If you are financially smart, you'll also quickly realize your lifestyle expenses also change (sometimes scary change like Eddy Curry's) and it's gonna catch up with your wealth if you don't "game-plan" it.

But say if you have $100 mil, it becomes a "status". There's guys with $100 mil fortune... there's guys with $500 mil fortune (Kobe/ LeBron)... then there's guys with $1 bil fortune (Tiger Woods). Money itself is not important to them, but it is important to measure where you are status-wise.

Sure, some guys are generous like Gilbert Arenas not taking max contract in his prime, so the Wiz can sign more players... or Ron Artest signing MLE with Lakers when he could have easily got a $7-8 mil contract elsewhere. But different people have different mindset. Just because a few do it, doesn't mean that's how "it should be" with everyone who's wealthy. You said it.

I'm just saying for a guy whose networth is $150 mil now (plus endorsement), an educated guess is Melo is aiming to get closer to those guys' status as at least "half Billion" guy.

But here it is, I don't care if you have a high financial IQ like Magic Johnson (arguably a better businessman than he was as a player... turning his era low salary by today's standards to hundreds of millions of dollars)... or if you have a low financial IQ like Antoine Walker who saw his money go up in smoke, doesn't matter if you're Carmelo Anthony or not, it doesn't matter if you're $150 mil rich or $1 billion rich or middle class, it doesn't matter if money means nothing or everything, if you take a $7 mil pay cut annually just because you want to move from New Jersey to New York, you're a bloody idiot (financially). I doubt anyone can dispute that. Basic common sense.