give this man a monster deal

The Truth

Rays third baseman Evan Longoria would welcome a new long-term deal that would keep him in Tampa Bay for the rest of his career. "Tampa Bay is the place I want to be for the rest of my career if I can," Longoria said. "If there's an opportunity to do something like that, I would think long and hard about it." Longoria, 25, is signed through 2013, with the Rays holding options for 2014-16 on what are considered team-friendly terms, with a maximum salary of $14 million in 2016.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/22820/20101211/longoria_wants_ray_for_life_deal/#ixzz17vv1nhx2

I love this guy. he could be the face of the franchise for the next decade plus. I've been watching him ever since his college days at Long Beach. he's saying he wants to be a Ray for life even after a disappointing first round exit in the playoffs this year. the team has also already lost Crawford, Pena, and Soriano, but he still wants to stick around... that's what I call loyalty. give this man a 15-year/$300M deal. he'll be a Ray for life, or at least until he's forty. it's the AL too, so he could always DH. seriously, he's totally worth that deal. this guy's quite possibly the best 3B in the game. I just hope Sternberg isn't too much of a cheap [expletive] to keep him.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/22820/20101211/longoria_wants_ray_for_life_deal/#ixzz17vv1nhx2

I love this guy. he could be the face of the franchise for the next decade plus. I've been watching him ever since his college days at Long Beach. he's saying he wants to be a Ray for life even after a disappointing first round exit in the playoffs this year. the team has also already lost Crawford, Pena, and Soriano, but he still wants to stick around... that's what I call loyalty. give this man a 15-year/$300M deal. he'll be a Ray for life, or at least until he's forty. it's the AL too, so he could always DH. seriously, he's totally worth that deal. this guy's quite possibly the best 3B in the game. I just hope Sternberg isn't too much of a cheap [expletive] to keep him.

It's the Rays, dude. If Longoria is that loyal to the team, he is going to have to accept a hell of a lot less than that.

It's the Rays, dude. If Longoria is that loyal to the team, he is going to have to accept a hell of a lot less than that.

well, the article says he's locked up until 2016, so I guess they'd really only have to give a ten-year deal or something along those lines.

Derek Jeter is getting old..How do you feel about moving back to short, Alex? How do you feel about playing third, Evan? One can always dream right?

you like the Yankees? <_<

Edited by HOV

well, the article says he's locked up until 2016, so I guess they'd really only have to give a ten-year deal or something along those lines.

He is. And he did take a super team-friendly deal a few years back, by killing all of his arbitration years and taking less than he probably could have gotten through the arbitration process. But teams like the Rays just don't give out mega deals like the one you suggested. They literally can't. Maybe they can get something worked out, but they can't make a 10 year commitment to one player at that kind of money.

He is. And he did take a super team-friendly deal a few years back, by killing all of his arbitration years and taking less than he probably could have gotten through the arbitration process. But teams like the Rays just don't give out mega deals like the one you suggested. They literally can't. Maybe they can get something worked out, but they can't make a 10 year commitment to one player at that kind of money.

sure they can, they just won't... most likely. we have cheap ownership that probably won't give that much money to one player. it's still possible, though.

sure they can, they just won't... most likely. we have cheap ownership that probably won't give that much money to one player. it's still possible, though.

No, they can't. It isn't about being cheap, it is about playing in the worst professional sports market in the country.

I think Longoria is one of the most over rated players in MLB, anyone who would consider him a better 3B than Wright is out of their mind. The contract he has now is what he deserves, let's see him get over a .900 OPS before you can demand him a 'monster deal' as if the one he has now isn't large enough for him.

Edited by STATCity

No, they can't. It isn't about being cheap, it is about playing in the worst professional sports market in the country.

dude, I'm a Rays fan, so I know all about this. this winter alone, they've lost or are going to lose Crawford, Pena, Soriano, Bartlett, and Garza. they have even more coming off the books next winter. with all that money, it's definitely possible for them to give Longoria, the face of the franchise, a huge deal. I'm not saying it's going to happen; I'm just saying it's possible. as long as they have the money, it's possible.

dude, I'm a Rays fan, so I know all about this. this winter alone, they've lost or are going to lose Crawford, Pena, Soriano, Bartlett, and Garza. they have even more coming off the books next winter. with all that money, it's definitely possible for them to give Longoria, the face of the franchise, a huge deal. I'm not saying it's going to happen; I'm just saying it's possible. as long as they have the money, it's possible.

Why would you extend his contract? It's 2011, you have him signed through 2016, seems really dumb to commit to that type of kind of deal when you have him signed until then.

Edited by STATCity

That is how small market teams become crippled financially. Sure, they could do whatever they want, but it doesn't make it responsible.

• Like 1

They can't afford that large of a contract over that amount of years because their market, attendance, and income is at such an embarrassing level. Team might not even be there for 15 more years, let alone assured they can afford that contract over it's duration. Rangers just lucked out of bankruptcy, you don't want that.

I think Longoria is one of the most over rated players in MLB, anyone who would consider him a better 3B than Wright is out of their mind. The contract he has now is what he deserves, let's see him get over a .900 OPS before you can demand him a 'monster deal' as if the one he has now isn't large enough for him.

lmfao! gotta love homers.

last season, Longoria had a better average, obp, slg, and more RBI than Wright. he plays in a much tougher division and he's younger. to say the contract he has now is what he deserves is the single most ridiculous thing I've seen on a forum. he made less than a million [expletive]ing dollars last year, dude. LESS THAN A MILLION.

lmfao! gotta love homers.

last season, Longoria had a better average, obp, slg, and more RBI than Wright. he plays in a much tougher division and he's younger. to say the contract he has now is what he deserves is the single most ridiculous thing I've seen on a forum. he made less than a million [expletive]ing dollars last year, dude. LESS THAN A MILLION.

THAT'S WHAT 3RD YEAR PLAYERS MAKE, DO YOU WATCH MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?!

I don't even feel this is worth going into, yes compare 1 year vs 1 year of each player. Wright plays in pitch heavy division in one of the worst hitters ball parks in MLB. Not to mention Wright is much better on the base paths and has a lot more range at 3B than Longoria.

Why would you extend his contract? It's 2011, you have him signed through 2016, seems really dumb to commit to that type of kind of deal when you have him signed until then.

why extend his contract?

• he wants to be a Ray for life
  • he's one of the best 3B in the league
  • he's only going to get better over the years

he's the face of the franchise and perhaps the most loved player in Rays history besides Crawford. giving him a big deal makes total sense.

That is how small market teams become crippled financially. Sure, they could do whatever they want, but it doesn't make it responsible.

how are they crippling themselves financially? they're doing the opposite. I just explained how they're dumping all these contracts. if they get rid of all their best players besides Longoria and Price, they could definitely afford to give those guys big deals.

They can't afford that large of a contract over that amount of years because their market, attendance, and income is at such an embarrassing level. Team might not even be there for 15 more years, let alone assured they can afford that contract over it's duration. Rangers just lucked out of bankruptcy, you don't want that.

so why not just pack it up now and leave baseball? what I'm getting from you all is that the Rays should never, ever give big money to anyone. yeah, I realize their attendance is pathetic, but this is still a major league baseball team. if they want to contend in the AL East, they're going to have to spend money at one point or another. the chances of them getting a better 3B than Longoria, who wants to be their for life, who loves the team, is basically zero. so, why the hell not lock him up now when he still wants to be here? it makes no sense at all to say they should never spend money or consider extending Longoria. if this guy continues to improve, which he will in all likelihood, he's just going to want more money when it comes time. it makes a lot more sense to lock him up now when you could still get him for a relatively decent amount.

THAT'S WHAT 3RD YEAR PLAYERS MAKE, DO YOU WATCH MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?!

I don't even feel this is worth going into, yes compare 1 year vs 1 year of each player. Wright plays in pitch heavy division in one of the worst hitters ball parks in MLB. Not to mention Wright is much better on the base paths and has a lot more range at 3B than Longoria.

that's what average third year players make; Longoria is well above average. and yeah, I'm sure playing against the Marlins and Nationals is tougher than the Yanks and Red Sox. lol get real, dude.

You just don't get it man, I am sorry. They have had one of the best teams in baseball in two of the past three seasons, yet they still got awful fan support. Where is the income coming from to support a contract like this if they are not selling tickets? If they could not sell this team to the fans, how will they be able to sell any team? Are fans just going to magically show up and support a worse roster? I don't think so.

So where is the money coming from? If they lock themselves into such a huge commitment to one player, they basically wipe out their entire budget. So how do they make moves to fill in holes on the Major League roster at the trade deadline? How do they tinker with the roster in the offseason? And then 10 years down the line, how do they avoid bankruptcy and keep the team in Florida?

that's what average third year players make; Longoria is well above average.

I am sorry but this is 100% wrong.

Edited by Phightins

You just don't get it man, I am sorry. They have had one of the best teams in baseball in two of the past three seasons, yet they still got awful fan support. Where is the income coming from to support a contract like this if they are not selling tickets? If they could not sell this team to the fans, how will they be able to sell any team? Are fans just going to magically show up and support a worse roster? I don't think so.

So where is the money coming from? If they lock themselves into such a huge commitment to one player, they basically wipe out their entire budget. So how do they make moves to fill in holes on the Major League roster at the trade deadline? How do they tinker with the roster in the offseason? And then 10 years down the line, how do they avoid bankruptcy and keep the team in Florida?

no, I'm afraid you don't get it. if you knew half as much about the Rays as myself, you'd know they're planning to fill most of their roster with minor leaguers over the next couple years. that's why they're letting go of Crawford, Bartlett, and Garza, amongst others. they have guys in the farm system who are ready to replace these veterans. this team has horrific attendance, but they could still afford to levy a big contract to Longoria. if they let him go, they'll have even weaker attendance. getting rid of Longoria will do nothing but worsen the problem they already have.

no, I'm afraid you don't get it. if you knew half as much about the Rays as myself, you'd know they're planning to fill most of their roster with minor leaguers over the next couple years. that's why they're letting go of Crawford, Bartlett, and Garza, amongst others. they have guys in the farm system who are ready to replace these veterans. this team has horrific attendance, but they could still afford to levy a big contract to Longoria. if they let him go, they'll have even weaker attendance. getting rid of Longoria will do nothing but worsen the problem they already have.

They will have weaker attendance if they use their entire budget on one player and as a result, field an awful team around him.

And yes, I do get it. You do not understand the economics of baseball.

why extend his contract?

• he wants to be a Ray for life
  • he's one of the best 3B in the league
  • he's only going to get better over the years

he's the face of the franchise and perhaps the most loved player in Rays history besides Crawford. giving him a big deal makes total sense.

He's already signed through 2016, it'd be pointless to extend his contract prematurely, you have 5 years to figure out what you want to give him.

how are they crippling themselves financially? they're doing the opposite. I just explained how they're dumping all these contracts. if they get rid of all their best players besides Longoria and Price, they could definitely afford to give those guys big deals.
Because if he goes down with a career ending injury year 2 of this 15 year deal, you owe him all of that money, good signing.

so why not just pack it up now and leave baseball? what I'm getting from you all is that the Rays should never, ever give big money to anyone. yeah, I realize their attendance is pathetic, but this is still a major league baseball team. if they want to contend in the AL East, they're going to have to spend money at one point or another. the chances of them getting a better 3B than Longoria, who wants to be their for life, who loves the team, is basically zero. so, why the hell not lock him up now when he still wants to be here? it makes no sense at all to say they should never spend money or consider extending Longoria. if this guy continues to improve, which he will in all likelihood, he's just going to want more money when it comes time. it makes a lot more sense to lock him up now when you could still get him for a relatively decent amount.

lol They already gave big money to him, he's signed through 2016 I don't get what you are not getting by this, HE IS LOCKED UP. I'm sure the Rays have ever intention of keeping him a Ray for life but there's no reason to give out such a ridiculously long contract based on 3 years of success, you don't understand baseball.

that's what average third year players make; Longoria is well above average. and yeah, I'm sure playing against the Marlins and Nationals is tougher than the Yanks and Red Sox. lol get real, dude.

Let's compare

NL East (excluding Mets):

Josh Johnson

Tim Hudson

Tommy Hanson

Roy Oswalt

Roy Halladay

Cole Hamels

Stephen Strasburg

AL East (exlcuding Rays):

Jon Lester

Clay Buchholz?

CC Sabathia

Phil Hughes?

Jeremy Guthrie?

Shawn Marcum?

Ricky Romero

Yeah I'd def take the NL East arms, thanks

He's already signed through 2016, it'd be pointless to extend his contract prematurely, you have 5 years to figure out what you want to give him.

Because if he goes down with a career ending injury year 2 of this 15 year deal, you owe him all of that money, good signing.

lol They already gave big money to him, he's signed through 2016 I don't get what you are not getting by this, HE IS LOCKED UP. I'm sure the Rays have ever intention of keeping him a Ray for life but there's no reason to give out such a ridiculously long contract based on 3 years of success, you don't understand baseball.

Let's compare

NL East (excluding Mets):

Josh Johnson

Tim Hudson

Tommy Hanson

Roy Oswalt

Roy Halladay

Cole Hamels

Stephen Strasburg

AL East (exlcuding Rays):

Jon Lester

Clay Buchholz?

CC Sabathia

Phil Hughes?

Jeremy Guthrie?

Shawn Marcum?

Ricky Romero

Yeah I'd def take the NL East arms, thanks

I love the question marks for the AL East pitchers, but not for Hanson or Hudson. :lol: . You never fail to amuse everyone on this site.

I love the question marks for the AL East pitchers, but not for Hanson or Hudson. :lol: . You never fail to amuse everyone on this site.

You mean the Tim Hudson who went 17-9 with a 2.83 ERA? Or Tommy Hanson with 3.33 ERA 1.17 WHIP 173 K's? You never fail to amuse me with Boston bias opinions and your complete lack of knowledge anything sport related.

They will have weaker attendance if they use their entire budget on one player and as a result, field an awful team around him.

And yes, I do get it. You do not understand the economics of baseball.

stop using the phrase 'entire budget on one player.' that's unbelievably inaccurate. the Rays payroll this year was about $70M. they're not going to give Longoria $70M/year, so... yeah.

I don't understand the economics of baseball? you're basing that off what, one opinion? I think I know a lot more than you think I know. as I already stated, many of the Rays starters over the next couple years will be guys they bring up from the farm. that means they can afford to give one or two players big deals and still have a relatively low payroll. you make it seem like this team could never afford to give one player a nice deal in a million years. we're not the Yankees, but we're not the Marlins, either.

stop using the phrase 'entire budget on one player.' that's unbelievably inaccurate. the Rays payroll this year was about $70M. they're not going to give Longoria $70M/year, so... yeah.

I don't understand the economics of baseball? you're basing that off what, one opinion? I think I know a lot more than you think I know. as I already stated, many of the Rays starters over the next couple years will be guys they bring up from the farm. that means they can afford to give one or two players big deals and still have a relatively low payroll. you make it seem like this team could never afford to give one player a nice deal in a million years. we're not the Yankees, but we're not the Marlins, either.

You give Longoria 20 mill a year Price 15 mil a years that leaves 35 mil for 23 players and coaching, use your head.