give this man a monster deal

The Truth

You give Longoria 20 mill a year Price 15 mil a years that leaves 35 mil for 23 players and coaching, use your head.

the Rays wouldn't have to pay them those amounts for another several years. they still have to serve their current contracts. besides, it probably wouldn't be 20 and 15 year. annual salaries usually start at a lower amount and gradually increase through the years.

stop using the phrase 'entire budget on one player.' that's unbelievably inaccurate. the Rays payroll this year was about $70M. they're not going to give Longoria $70M/year, so... yeah.

I don't understand the economics of baseball? you're basing that off what, one opinion? I think I know a lot more than you think I know. as I already stated, many of the Rays starters over the next couple years will be guys they bring up from the farm. that means they can afford to give one or two players big deals and still have a relatively low payroll. you make it seem like this team could never afford to give one player a nice deal in a million years. we're not the Yankees, but we're not the Marlins, either.

And then how will they pay Hellickson/Jennings/Niemann/Price/etc? And as Fish asked earlier, why on earth would the Rays look to extend Longoria's contract now when they have him locked up for 4 more years? And it's not just team control for 4 more years, they have him at a set salary for 4 more years. Complete security for the team, they do not have to deal with the arbitration process. What else could a small market team ask for? Let the next 4 years play out, then deal with it. Bigger markets can handle potential risks like this. The Tampa Bay Rays cannot. Not until they start selling tickets.

Edited by Phightins

You mean the Tim Hudson who went 17-9 with a 2.83 ERA? Or Tommy Hanson with 3.33 ERA 1.17 WHIP 173 K's? You never fail to amuse me with Boston bias opinions and your complete lack of knowledge anything sport related.

I have no bias whatsoever in this. You put a question mark next to four pitchers from the AL East which is a far superior division to the NL East, yet you don't give them any question marks.

You're using Hudson's and Hanson's stats, yet you do know Bucholtz had a better record and a better ERA than both of them in a far better division. In case you haven't noticed, it's your bias that shines through.

And, don't ever mention Davis Wright in the same sentence as Evan Longoria. David Wright is a clear level beloew Longoria.

I have no bias whatsoever in this. You put a question mark next to four pitchers from the AL East which is a far superior division to the NL East, yet you don't give them any question marks.

You're using Hudson's and Hanson's stats, yet you do know Bucholtz had a better record and a better ERA than both of them in a far better division. In case you haven't noticed, it's your bias that shines through.

And, don't ever mention Davis Wright in the same sentence as Evan Longoria. David Wright is a clear level beloew Longoria.

I wasn't sure how much Buchholz pitched, I just saw his ERA thats it, yes he is better. lol ECN there's really no point in arguging with you, you're opinions are so obviously skewed that you honestly just sound like a huge moron all the time. Everyone knows you are the biggest homer on the forum, bigger than me. BTw nobody said NL East > Al East I said the NL East is a pitching heavy division and has better pitching, and it does. Learn how to [expletive]ing read if you are going to send me messages.

12-4?

I don't know Davis Wright is but Wright at his .899 OPS with much better base running and much better fielding is better than Longoria and his .879 ops. Go learn something about baseball. Lester best lefty in majors? Buchholz worst pitcher in majors, better trade him? 12-4?

I wasn't sure how much Buchholz pitched, I just saw his ERA thats it, yes he is better. lol ECN there's really no point in arguging with you, you're opinions are so obviously skewed that you honestly just sound like a huge moron all the time. Everyone knows you are the biggest homer on the forum, bigger than me. BTw nobody said NL East > Al East I said the NL East is a pitching heavy division and has better pitching, and it does. Learn how to [expletive]ing read if you are going to send me messages.

12-4?

I don't know Davis Wright is but Wright at his .899 OPS with much better base running and much better fielding is better than Longoria and his .879 ops. Go learn something about baseball. Lester best lefty in majors? Buchholz worst pitcher in majors, better trade him? 12-4?

I wans't just referring to Bucholtz, but the AL East pitching as a whole. I used Bucholtz not because he's on the Red Sox, but because he had the best stats out of all of the AL East pitchers you mentioned. I'll take the AL East pitching over the NL East pitching without thinking twice. I like the depth in the AL East more. Hallday, Johnson, Santana, and Strasburg are nice, but it goes down after that.

Also, I'd love for you to find my homer statement. Please, dig up a lot of them if you can. I'd like to see ten of them by the next time you post since they are so plentiful.

It's not really being a homer thinking the Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots are premier teams in their respective leages. They all happen to be from MA and are good teams, so obviously I'm going to support them, but please, show me ten homer statements very soon since they are so plentiful.

I wans't just referring to Bucholtz, but the AL East pitching as a whole. I used Bucholtz not because he's on the Red Sox, but because he had the best stats out of all of the AL East pitchers you mentioned. I'll take the AL East pitching over the NL East pitching without thinking twice. I like the depth in the AL East more. Hallday, Johnson, Santana, and Strasburg are nice, but it goes down after that.

Also, I'd love for you to find my homer statement. Please, dig up a lot of them if you can. I'd like to see ten of them by the next time you post since they are so plentiful.

It's not really being a homer thinking the Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots are premier teams in their respective leages. They all happen to be from MA and are good teams, so obviously I'm going to support them, but please, show me ten homer statements very soon since they are so plentiful.

You think I'd actually waste my time doing that? -_- 12-4

Edited by STATCity