Mayo heading to Knicks next week?

I'm all for it...

Gallo, Mayo, 1st rd pick, hell yea

But I doubt Grizz will give up on Mayo so soon. His struggles this year are more about his willingness to be a 6th man, not because of decline in production. A 3rd year, 20ppg caliber young player, sacrificing for good of team? Very selfless young player.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

So in separate deals the Knicks should trade for O.J. Mayo and a 1st round pick, all to package with our best young player for a guy who has supposedly admitted that he won't play anywhere else next season?

Ummm.

I'd love Mayo to come in and try some 2-guard for us, as long as Randolph is the centerpiece of the deal :lol:

The Knicks would have to probably give up quite a bit for Mayo. And then re-package him to Denver... Idk if it'd be worth it when the Knicks can just get 'Melo next off-season.

Edited by JYD

• Owner

If the Knicks are doing this to package Mayo in a deal before the February 24th trade deadline, they better hurry. Once a player is acquired in a trade, assuming his salary will be packaged with another (and more than likely, it will), that team can't trade him to another team for two months UNLESS they trade him all by himself (which can't happen because Melo makes too much money).

So, the Knicks have a little under two weeks to decide if they want Mayo or not.

• Owner

Exactly. Why the hell would the Knicks trade for him when he is clearly going to go to them in the off season anyways?

It's basically a cushion. Get Melo when you have the opportunity.

What if the Knicks go on a major slump and finish the season with 35 wins, and then the CBA cuts salaries by 30%? Suddenly, Melo will be losing a chunk of any contract he gets from ANY team, and he'd be going to a Knicks team that just finished just six wins ahead of where they were last year? Would he change his mind?

What if Amare goes down with another eye or knee injury in April?

It's smart to wait, but it's smarter to get him when you can if it's not going to cost you a good chunk of your team. If the Knicks can acquire him before February, they have a good chance at making some noise until the end of the season, and they will surely be a playoff team AND have a shot at the ECF's.

Am I the only one just a bit curious what the [expletive] the Knicks would be offering for Mayo? I realize he is slumping this year, badly, but if a team out there isn't willing to swoop in and beat the Knicks' offer Idk what to say, they obviously aren't giving up very much for him. The kid is talented, you don't just go from a borderline 20 PPG player to a role player at 23 years old.

• Owner

Am I the only one just a bit curious what the [expletive] the Knicks would be offering for Mayo? I realize he is slumping this year, badly, but if a team out there isn't willing to swoop in and beat the Knicks' offer Idk what to say, they obviously aren't giving up very much for him. The kid is talented, you don't just go from a borderline 20 PPG player to a role player at 23 years old.

Well, Memphis has moved him to the bench, and I'm guessing they are looking to grab either Chandler or Gallo (probably Gallo) based on the way their team is built.

But, then again, it's all speculation. Nobody actually confirmed the Knicks are open to trading for him...just someone close to him thinking he'll be traded to New York.

FINE we'll add if we have to... Randolph, Douglas, and Bill Walker.

I don't even think thats enough. Randolph kind of lost trade value since he's been horrible this season.. Walker and Douglas might be interesting for the Grizzlies, that would make their bench a much better one though so we never know ;)

I was joking ^_^

why would you be joking!? its not THAT dumb! it could be some kind of offer the Knicks would make.. I could see this working.. Mayo might of lost some interest for the Grizz so I don't see a reason why this shouldn't happen.. Maybe Knicks should add their second round pick or something to make it even more interesting for Memphis

FINE we'll add if we have to... Randolph, Douglas, and Bill Walker.

I lol'd, there's a rumor Keleena Azubuike is actually a part of the deal too, Randolph Douglas and Buike would actually be a decent package imo, buike got some talent, what a steal that would be, a pick we paid for from the lakers and 2 players we got for free from Lee leaving for Orange Juice and Mayonnaise.

I mean I'd definitely give them any bench player they want in any combination for Mayo... But I wouldn't give STAT, Fields, Gallo, Felton, or Chandler... and I'm not sure they'd be interested in much else outside of that.

Chandler maybe.. I mean come on.. Mayo is better than Chandler.

Chandler and Randoph for Mayo and second pick?

lol it feels like I'm in a Sim League :lol:

Chandler maybe.. I mean come on.. Mayo is better than Chandler.

Chandler and Randoph for Mayo and second pick?

lol it feels like I'm in a Sim League :lol:

No thank you, honestly. Chandler is way too versatile, does everything asked of him, provides tremendous scoring in various ways off the bench, and his defense is underrated. Mayo is a great scorer, but scoring isn't the Knicks' problem. I'd keep IllWill!

*Note, probably being a homer and huge Wilson jocker... Oh well!

No thank you, honestly. Chandler is way too versatile, does everything asked of him, provides tremendous scoring in various ways off the bench, and his defense is underrated. Mayo is a great scorer, but scoring isn't the Knicks' problem. I'd keep IllWill!

You are only being a homer if you think Wilson is better or has more potential than my Mayo. As it stands Chandler is more valuable to the team than Mayo would be. Chandler spreads the floor, can take it the rim, rebound, and shot block, basically every single we need, he is very valuable to us. A lot of people think Danilo would be more valuable but as it stands I'd say it goes Amar'e - Felton/Chandler - Gallo...

nah man.. no worries.. it's true. Wilson is doing a great job and is an underrated overall player. I guess I haven't seen all the Knicks game so I can't argue with you if Knicks problem isn't scoring. Anyways, then, if you don't want to give Chandler away, my other suggestion was the best. Damn you guys have a great future..

Imagine Melo, Amare and Mayo teaming up together with Chandler, Fields, Gallinari, Felton.. WOW

I was looking through the Knicks board on RealGM board yesterday, and apparently the Knicks will have to get rid of Chandler (with the way their current roster is) to get Melo in the offseason. So, I am curious to see how this trade would go down, and how it'd affect that situation. I think Mayo desperately needs a trade...he's rotting in Memphis. He has a very good jumper, and is pretty athletic, so he'd fit in very nicely in NY.

When he first entered the league, there was a ton of hype surrounding him, many thought he would turn into a very good NBA PG due to his size, scoring ability, and willingness to play defense. He blew his opportunity when Conley was playing sub par, and he showed terrible instincts in the summer league. He still hasn't figured out the NBA game yet, he doesn't understand how to attack the basket consistently, if he can commit himself more to the PG role and get himself on a team with a good coach and a team where they can fully utilize his talents, he will revitalize his career.

IMO, the best fit for him is in Chicago. They can give up Charlotte's first rounder and James Johnson for OJ. He'd flourish with the Bulls, and the playing time JJ would get in Memphis would be big for him. They'd also be getting a potentially high draft pick out of the deal and would save them money which would serve them well seeing as how they have Randolph and Gasol looking for extensions after this season. Or at the very least, they can sign one of those two bigs and go after someone else in FA.