Bargnani: Should he be an All-Star?

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

I'm not sure if 21/6 and 47% FG is good enough to get it if you combine that with Toronto's 9-15 record. If scoring was so important, Monta Ellis would've most certainly made it last year.

Dwight Howard

Andrew Bogut

Roy Hibbert

Andrea Bargnani

Joakim Noah

Brook Lopez

Al Horford

That's basically the list of centers who will be considered for the ASG, representing the East.

Howard is automatically it, and it's not even close. The East will drag one more center into the game, and I'm not sure if Bargs even has a shot.

I'm not sure if 21/6 and 47% FG is good enough to get it if you combine that with Toronto's 9-15 record. If scoring was so important, Monta Ellis would've most certainly made it last year.

Dwight Howard

Andrew Bogut

Roy Hibbert

Andrea Bargnani

Joakim Noah

Brook Lopez

Al Horford

That's basically the list of centers who will be considered for the ASG, representing the East.

Howard is automatically it, and it's not even close. The East will drag one more center into the game, and I'm not sure if Bargs even has a shot.

I understand where you are coming from with your first point, but the difference between Bargnani and Ellis is huge. Look at the competition that Ellis was competing with last year with guys like Nash, Paul, Williams, Roy, Bryant etc... all being guards in the West. That list is clearly superior to the competition that Bargnani has in the East (the list you posted above.

As for whether or not he should be an All-Star, it is all going to come down to the Raptors record. If he can manage to get them to around .500 by the time the selections are made, I think he has a strong case considering basically everybody predicted the Raptors to be the worst team in the East, maybe even the league. If they are close to .500 that will make them a playoff team most likely and assuming he continues to put up around 21-22 ppg and 6-7 rpg on near 50% shooting, I definitely think he should deserve some All-Star consideration considering how much the Raptors will have exceeded their expectations and him being the main reason.

It will probably be Howard and Noah/Bogut, though.

I find it funny that people constantly harp on Bargnani's rebounding and all of that, but nobody mentions the fact that Brook Lopez averages only 6 boards a game himself.

Is it because Bargnani is a Euro that people make such a big deal out of his poor rebounding and not Lopez's? They are both brutal rebounders, yet nobody ever mentions Lopez. I know he averaged 8 boards his first two seasons, but it's not like he has ever been that good of a rebounder and a lot of those simply came to him by default.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I find it funny that people constantly harp on Bargnani's rebounding and all of that, but nobody mentions the fact that Brook Lopez averages only 6 boards a game himself.

Is it because Bargnani is a Euro that people make such a big deal out of his poor rebounding and not Lopez's? They are both brutal rebounders, yet nobody ever mentions Lopez. I know he averaged 8 boards his first two seasons, but it's not like he has ever been that good of a rebounder and a lot of those simply came to him by default.

We really talking about it on another forum..

here is what I said:

Well... now he got Favors with him so that could kind of explain why but still.. I mean come on. He's a good scorer with 19 points per game but 6.30 rebounds after averaging a lot more last season.. there is a problem. I"m trying to find the reason but I don't even think Favors is a valid one. He should get back to work, box out, secure both rebounds on both ends of the floor and he will get back in the groove

But the topic is about BARGNANI.... so why would we talk about somebody else

We really talking about it on another forum..

here is what I said:

Well... now he got Favors with him so that could kind of explain why but still.. I mean come on. He's a good scorer with 19 points per game but 6.30 rebounds after averaging a lot more last season.. there is a problem. I"m trying to find the reason but I don't even think Favors is a valid one. He should get back to work, box out, secure both rebounds on both ends of the floor and he will get back in the groove

But the topic is about BARGNANI.... so why would we talk about somebody else

I don't know, maybe because this topic is about whether or not Bargnani should be an All-Star and Brook Lopez happens to be one of the players he would be competing with?

No, that can't be it. :rolleyes:

PS: I don't really give a damn what you talk about on other forums. I don't need to constantly see you pimp out all of the other forums that you post on.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I don't know, maybe because this topic is about whether or not Bargnani should be an All-Star and Brook Lopez happens to be one of the players he would be competing with?

No, that can't be it. :rolleyes:

PS: I don't really give a damn what you talk about on other forums. I don't need to constantly see you pimp out all of the other forums that you post on.

:huh: :huh:

Anyways, I get what you're saying about Brook Lopez but I mean.. I don't think he deserves to be an all-star.. Bargnani has a better chance than Lopez.

Just because Bargnani doesn't play like a traditional center doesn't make him less of an overall player necessarily. Rose averaging 6 assists didn't stop him from being an all star last year, even though the traditional all star point guard usually gets a high volume of assists.

For the Raptors or any team really, the bulk of the rebounding doesn't have to come from any particular position. Guards like Rajon Rondo and Landry Fields are terrific rebounders.

That said, while Bargs has grown into a very good player, he doesn't bring quite enough of the other elements to make up for his lackluster rebounding for me to call him an all star yet. He's a good scorer with 21 ppg and 56% TS, but he isn't a great scorer like Dirk Nowitzi who has been scoring about 24 ppg since 04 while shooting at least 59% TS for many of those years.

If Bargs can increase his scoring and improve on at least another element of his game, like passing for instance to about 3 apg or so, then I'd say he's an all star in the right circumstance.

I don't even think the Rapts have to be a 500 team. They simply have to be better than "oh God...my eyes!" which in the East means one of the top eight-ten teams. Anything worse than that in the East, and he has zero right to call himself an All-Star.

His offensive game has improved. Some post skills, improved strength, still can shoot, has become an effective passer, but his horrendous defense and rebounding really hold him back, especially when there are pretty terrific role-playing alternatives to take his spot.

Hahahaha.

Lopez is an awful rebounder. I will not deny that at all.

But to say he is the most overrated big man in the league? Come on man.

Why not...Some were calling Lopez the second best center in the league other than Dwight Howard. Lopez has been awful this season and is fair game. Even last year, most of his success came as a result of teams not caring after going up by 30 points on the Nets.

Why not...Some were calling Lopez the second best center in the league other than Dwight Howard. Lopez has been awful this season and is fair game. Even last year, most of his success came as a result of teams not caring after going up by 30 points on the Nets.

Anyone that put Lopez above Bogut last year is a moron. Top 3 in the east maybe with Noah creeping.

And that whole "most of his success came when teams were up by 30" is simply false. He puts up his numbers in the 1st half and disappears in the 2nd.

And plus the most overrated center in the NBA is Andrew Bynum, and this is coming from a huge Bynum fan.

• Owner

That may change if they do get Melo. I'm sure Lopez will feed off of him every chance he gets, and he'll become a more productive center because of it.

That may change if they do get Melo. I'm sure Lopez will feed off of him every chance he gets, and he'll become a more productive center because of it.

Oh it probably would. But Lopez has been awful this year. He's too cumbersome and timid, and he doesn't fight for deep post position as much as he should. Johnson's been giving him grief about it all season, so he's played on the perimeter more.

I love what Andrea has been able to do this season but I think he is a season away from being an All Star. He hasn't been consistent this season and he is still figuring out how to bring it day in and day out. I would really like to see him improve in his rebounding and the assist category. If he can improve in those area I think he is a sure bet in the All Star team next season. We all know he can score he has always been great at that but defensively is were he needs to show his worth as well.