Miami Heat's Mike Miller close to returning

headliner

Before Friday's game, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said he considered activating Miller but decided against it because the 6-8 forward had not participated in a full practice with the team since being cleared. Out since the preseason with a thumb injury, Miller was cleared medically to begin practicing on Wednesday.

``I was very tempted to suit him up, and my coaching staff talked me out of it because I definitely would have looked down there and thrown him in and he hasn't had a practice yet,'' Spoelstra said.

Miller is awaiting game clearance, which could come within the week. He tore a ligament in his thumb before the season opener and underwent surgery.

Originally, Miller hoped to return to action before the Heat's highly anticipated game against the Los Angeles Lakers on Christmas Day. Miller was cleared to begin shooting a few weeks ago.

Miami Herald

I am excited to see him play, but it was a good idea not to suit him up last night. We are on a roll, and messing up the rotation and bringing in a guy who hasn't played all season might have messed up our rhythm. I think its safe to see him play against the Wizards tonight, assuming we have a massive lead early on.

glad to see him back. I think a lot of people are underestimating the impact he'll have in Miami. a three point shooter like him playing with Wade and James spells bad news for opposing defenses. you just wait and see.

As great as his shooting is, I think his overall floor game will make a bigger impact. He's a very good ballhandler and passer, has a high IQ, and is also one of the best rebounding wings in the league. Off the dribble he will be the best player on the team besides Wade/James/Bosh, which I think will make a big difference to the offense.

I don't think anyone was underestimating the impact Miller was going to have on the Heat, though this is a huge key addition to their team now that they have a consistent three point threat who can also drive the ball in himself. Nothing against James Jones, Eddie House, or Carlos Arroyo, they can shoot the three, just no where near Miller.