Greinke to the Brewers

Jenneral

Former Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke has been traded to the Milwaukee Brewers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Sunday morning.

In the deal, the Royals are reportedly acquiring Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar and pitching prospects Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress for the 27-year-old Greinke, 10-14 with a 4.17 ERA in 2010 after winning the 2009 Cy Young.

ESPN

Awww hell yeah!

*sigh* guess the Giants wont have a shot at Prince since Milwaukee is going for gold.

There wasn't much of a market for Fielder anyway, so I think they just said screw it and went all in for the 2011 season. Hopefully this pans out.

Greinke

Gallardo

Wolf

Marcum

Narveson

That's going to end up being one of the top rotations in baseball. Huge change for a team that has been in the bottom few the last two years.

*sigh* guess the Giants wont have a shot at Prince since Milwaukee is going for gold.

This year, yeah. Probably a 0.1% chance the Brewers can resign him after this year though.

Also, the coolest part about this Greinke deal is that a blogger broke the story. We have come a long way.

Edited by Phightins

I doubt the Yankees would have gotten Greinke at the same price that Milwaukee paid. As for the Yankees not trying to trade for him, it was presumably due to their uncertainty of how he would perform in the Bronx and that they wanted to keep Banuelos and Betances.

Interesting move by Milwaukee. I don't follow the Brewers too much, are they a push to make the playoffs this year? This coupled with Shawn Marcum could put that pitching staff in a position to put Milwaukee over the top into the playoffs, at least a Wild Card, would it not?

For all the talk KC did about how they wanted an arm and a leg for Greinke, they sure didn't get an amazing return. A lot of teams could've made that offer. Good job for the Brewers.

Interesting move by Milwaukee. I don't follow the Brewers too much, are they a push to make the playoffs this year? This coupled with Shawn Marcum could put that pitching staff in a position to put Milwaukee over the top into the playoffs, at least a Wild Card, would it not?

For all the talk KC did about how they wanted an arm and a leg for Greinke, they sure didn't get an amazing return. A lot of teams could've made that offer. Good job for the Brewers.

I actually think the Royals did pretty well, and it could look even better depending on who the PTBNL is.

And just as I post this, it's announced that Jeremy Jeffress is definitely the PTBNL. You can never get "equal" value back when trading away a stud MLB pitcher like Greinke, but this isn't a bad haul.

Well, two years ago we made the wild card after dealing for CC. We've missed the playoffs altogether the last two years.

Offensively, we're a top team. Even with Fielder struggling (by his standards) last season we still finished 12th in the league for runs scored. Him and Braun are a great 1-2 punch.

However, we have had terrible pitching.

ERA: 26th

Quality Starts: 26th

WHIP: 28th

BAA: 25th

So hopefully the additions of Greinke and Marcum will put us into the top half of the league. If both moves pan out I see no reason why we don't make the postseason. It'll be tough to win the division with the Cardinals and Reds but I think a wild card is definitely possible.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't freaking believe it!!! No more small deals baby, we're going for it all!

Back down to earth, the rotation is looking good. Greinke and Gallardo is one of the top 5 1-2 punches in the MLB, and Marcum is pretty good, but it'll stand to be seen how he'll do in Miller. Hopefully Wolf can fix himself, and I'm hoping Narveson/Parra can be passable at the back end. Hopefully Prince can pick it up after a slowish year last year. If Braun can get back up to 30 HR production, you have to like the Brewers' chances.

But look at the NL central. Just when the Pirates finally start spending a bit, the Reds emerged, and the Cubs and Brewers make moves to solidify their teams. Pair in that the Cards are already pretty good and it could be a crazy ride in the NL central.