Rudy Gay Regrets Not Talking With Nets This Past Summer

Teletopez

MEMPHIS — Rudy Gay’s only regret is he didn’t go through the free-agency process with the Nets.

Gay signed a five-year, $83.5 million max contract as a restricted free agent with the Grizzlies on the first day of free agency, completely throwing the Nets’ backup plans out-of-whack. The Nets had targeted Gay if they couldn’t get LeBron James. And we all know how the LeBron thing went.

“It was a situation where, although I would have liked to get a chance to look at different options, this was obviously my first option,” Gay said Tuesday morning before his Grizzlies took on the Nets. “Had to be.”

Gay had a meeting set up with the Nets, but that was squashed once he re-upped with the Grizzlies, who traded for him at the 2006 Draft.

“I was going to seriously think about being a Net. Memphis stepped up to the plate first,” he said, noting that missing the whole free-agency process, “is probably one of the things I regret the most . . .. But I’m happy with the situation.”

Fred Kerber