Turner Trying To 'Adapt' To NBA, Isn't Worried About Expectations

Pooh25

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Turner_Evan_phi_20101108.jpg

Evan Turner hasn't yet lived up to expectations in his rookie season. The 76ers took Turner with the second pick in this past June's NBA Draft, which brought along the expectation that he'd excel out of the gate.

He is averaging just 6.3 points per game on 38.4% shooting.

"I can't really say what's it's due to," Turner said of his struggles. "I'm just trying to adapt."

Turner isn't letting expectations hamper him.

"It's not about what people expect out of me," Turner said. "It's what I expect out of myself. I'm missing shots right now I usually make. Sometimes I'm not playing my best. I'm not thinking, 'Oh my God, I'm the No. 2 pick.' "

Philadelphia coach Doug Collins thinks Turner has been too hard on himself.

"Our guys have been very supportive," Collins said. "I think the coaching staff has been very supportive. We are trying to take the pressure away from him as much as possible. But still, when you walk up, put that hat on and you're the No. 2 pick, that's always going to be there."

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

Well, Collins needs the kid a set position to play. I think Turner could be a good point-forward in the league, but they need to trade away Iggy for Turner to really excel because Iggy is taking that position away from Turner.

Discuss.

I have certainly not given up yet. They invested a #2 pick in him, so they definitely need to cater to his needs and put him in a spot where he can succeed.

So yes, in theory, Andre should be traded. It makes perfect sense for those reasons. My issue is that if the Sixers are going to trade him, they absolutely need to get good value for him, and I know they won't. I guess this is a fundamental problem I have with the NBA. So hard to trade guys like Andre (who are solid players but not stars) and get reasonable value in return. Cap space won't do much for this team until they become a desirable destination, and draft picks are basically worthless unless they are in the lottery (and even then it is a crap shoot). And teams with good young talent are not trading it for guys like this. It is a very, very tough spot, and how management handles this will go a long way towards dictating how the next few years will go for this team.

Edited by Phightins

Turner is a high IQ player despite his lack of production/ contribution. It's actually nice to see a player letting his game come to him, letting his role expand as he understands the game better.

Right now, he's still learning the game... I actually like his patience in not forcing the issue just because "he's the #2 pick". Eventually, he will get it although it might take 2-3-4 seasons for him to be on that star level.

He's patient, will 76ers fanbase be?