Stanford band banned from Orange Bowl due to Lebron's feelings

Lkr

Orange Bowl administrators, determined to make tonight's matchup between No. 5 Stanford and No. 12 Virginia Tech less entertaining, have decided to bar Stanford's irreverent band from performing at halftime.

The move comes after the band announced its show was entitled: "Recent Events in the Pro Sports World in Miami."

Apparently bowl officials were concerned that the band might mock LeBron James and hurt his feelings.

MSNBC recounts some previous Stanford band halftime shows that may have weighed on the Orange Bowl's decision:

* In Los Angeles during the O.J. Simpson saga, "the band pulled out a white van covered in bloody handprints."

* "Also in LA, they spoofed the USC alum who started Girls Gone Wild when their announcer said, 'It takes a special kind of man to be wanted for sexual harassment, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, child abuse and disruptive flatulence.'"

* "During a game with Notre Dame the Band's show was entitled 'The Irish, Why Must They Fight?' Using a crucifix as a baton got them banned from the campus."

* "In 1970, in Arkansas, they dropped trousers, as a unit, at halftime."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=80205#ixzz1A1CvLKKE

Pathetic. As a marching band guy myself (and with many friends in division-1 marching bands), this is absolutely pathetic on the part of the Orange Bowl committee. Those kids work their asses off all year (they practice way more than even the football team) and this was going to be the highlight of their season, and some of those kid's lives.

If the Stanford band was going to mock LBJ that'd be pretty classless but having said that they should have just had them take that out if they know for sure that's what they were going to do and allowed them to perform the rest of their show.

oh please, mocking a guy for signing as a free agent to another team? that is FAR from classless.

Maybe not classless, but its pretty useless and makes no sense. Talk [expletive] to Virginia Tech, not LeBron lol. Usually, this is a sign of an inferiority complex towards other teams/schools to be honest.

• Like 1

Frankly the whole thing has been overdone enough already, kudos to the bowl officials for pulling the plug.

Kudos to the officials for ruining the experience of a lifetime (and 4 months of hard work) for a bunch of innocent kids? Got it.

• Like 3

Kudos to the officials for ruining the experience of a lifetime (and 4 months of hard work) for a bunch of innocent kids? Got it.

They have to protect their product. I'm sure (or certainly hope) the whole performance wasn't about LBJ, they could lobby to be able to do the rest of their show.

Innocent kids? From what that article says, they're far from an innocent group of kids lol. I understand it sucks that they can't play in the bowl game, but that's what happens when you build a reputation like that.

They have to protect their product. I'm sure (or certainly hope) the whole performance wasn't about LBJ, they could lobby to be able to do the rest of their show.

It doesn't work like that. Can't really just take one tiny part of a field show out and have it still work.

Innocent kids? From what that article says, they're far from an innocent group of kids lol. I understand it sucks that they can't play in the bowl game, but that's what happens when you build a reputation like that.

So tuba player #7 and trumpet player #4 and on and on and on who had nothing to do with this planning, but probably had their entire families fly down to Miami to see them perform on the biggest stage of their lives...they should be punished because of a few butthurt Miami residents?

Frankly the whole thing has been overdone enough already, kudos to the bowl officials for pulling the plug.

Sorry, but this is a stupid post. LeBron is a grown [expletive] man. These are college kids working their asses off and having a little bit of fun for a once in a life time opportunity. If LeBron really gets upset over something this silly, then he really is a kid. They have done far worse, this is nothing.

BTW, the Orange Bowl is also forced to cancel VT's halftime show as a result. So both bands are being punished for the stupidity of the Orange Bowl committee.

btw, way to blame these kids for events that happened in the 80s and 90s :lol: :lol: . Let's punish the current Detroit Pistons basketball team for the brawl 7 years ago

Edited by Lkr
  • Like 2

That is fine you are entitled to your opinion just as I am to think it's not very smart to go into a place that the fire is almost out and take a whiz on the flames and reignite it.

there never was controversy in Miami. maybe I could see it being tasteless if they went into CLEVELAND, but they are playing in MIAMI. Besides, I don't think Miami fans care too much about Stanford vs VT. It isn't like a Florida team is playing in the game.

lol @ Laker fans acting like it's LeBron's fault. he had nothing to do with this; no one in Miami had anything to do with this decision. it was the Orange Bowl committee who decided to cancel the band performance, and frankly, I don't blame them. people need to be held accountable for their actions. the band brought this upon themselves by performing classless acts. yeah, I realize there's innocent members within the band, but that's the way it works. if a few people screw up, the whole group gets punished; you can't have half the band performing.

I would understand this decision if the performance was literally offensive (not just hurting LeBron's/Miami fan's feelings), and if these were paid, spoiled professionals we were talking about (they aren't, they are kids). And FYI, the kids in the band have NOTHING to do with song/show selection, except maybe the drum majors who have a bit of input.

Edited by Phightins

lol @ Laker fans acting like it's LeBron's fault. he had nothing to do with this; no one in Miami had anything to do with this decision. it was the Orange Bowl committee who decided to cancel the band performance, and frankly, I don't blame them. people need to be held accountable for their actions. the band brought this upon themselves by performing classless acts. yeah, I realize there's innocent members within the band, but that's the way it works. if a few people screw up, the whole group gets punished; you can't have half the band performing.

Maybe instead of acting clueless, you could read the article. There is nothing wrong with a funny halftime show. It isn't inappropriate like other events. Of all the mockery LeBron does on the court, this is nothing. Btw, you are retarded for calling out the Lakers fans. Plenty of other fans posting in this thread.

Phightins, Stanford's band is 100% student run I believe.

Edited by Lkr

I would understand this decision if the performance was literally offensive (not just hurting LeBron's/Miami fan's feelings), and if these were paid, spoiled professionals we were talking about (they aren't, they are kids). And FYI, the kids in the band have NOTHING to do with song/show selection, except maybe the drum majors who have a bit of input.

I see what you're saying, but you have to look at it from a business perspective as well. everyone is offended by everything nowadays. the band does something just a tad bit controversial and the Orange Bowl gets hate mail, complaints, they might lose followers, donations, etc. the band, having a history of immature performances, did this to themselves. I know the band usually has nothing to do with the show, but it's a package deal when it comes to these things, all or nothing.

Maybe instead of acting clueless, you could read the article.

I read the article twice. I don't know what makes you think I didn't.

There is nothing wrong with a funny halftime show. It isn't inappropriate like other events. Of all the mockery LeBron does on the court, this is nothing.

this is all your opinion. you call it funny, I call it inappropriate. I don't understand why you keep bringing LeBron into this, either. he has absolutely nothing to do with the band being canceled from the game.

Btw, you are retarded for calling out the Lakers fans. Plenty of other fans posting in this thread.

the other fans made legitimate, mature arguments. they didn't have to call people clueless and retarded; it was only Laker fans who drug LeBron into the equation. rather than blaming someone who has absolutely nothing to do with this, maybe you should put some of the blame on the band. they're the ones who put themselves on shaky grounds.

LOL

Inappropriate? Inappropriate material is usually offensive. If they mocked the decision, who would they offend? LeBron? If that really offends him, he should grow up. If you read the article, you would also know that it isn't the Lakers fans drawing him into it.

All the band did was release the title of a show. It could have been paying homage to the Saints Super Bowl win which occured in Miami for all we know. We do know that the committee made the decision because of LeBron's feelings.

Edited by Lkr

LOL

Inappropriate? Inappropriate material is usually offensive. If they mocked the decision, who would they offend? LeBron? If that really offends him, he should grow up. If you read the article, you would also know that it isn't the Lakers fans drawing him into it.

All the band did was release the title of a show. It could have been paying homage to the Saints Super Bowl win which occured in Miami for all we know. We do know that the committee made the decision because of LeBron's feelings.

so this is all LeBron's fault, right?