UPDATE: "I don't see it happening right now"

The New Jersey Nets' latest attempt to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony involves the Detroit Pistons.

Sources with knowledge of the talks confirmed the Nets and Nuggets have hatched a three-way trade proposal that would land Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups and Pistons guard Rip Hamilton alongside Anthony in New Jersey. The three-way trade scenario was first reported by the Bergen Record on its website Friday night.

The proposed deal would send prized Nets rookie Derrick Favors, former All-Star guard Devin Harris and at least two first-round picks to the Nuggets in exchange for their franchise player. It was not immediately known what Detroit would receive, if this deal were to go through, beyond Troy Murphy's expiring contract.

When asked how close this deal is to completion, one source close to the process said that the sides are still "going back and forth." But the latest proposal -- even if the Nets, Nuggets and Pistons reach an agreement in principle -- will not go through unless Anthony agrees to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nets in what is known as an extend-and-trade.

Hmm so Billups + Melo + Rip Hamilton + Brook Lopez. That would be very formidable in the Eastern Conference.

UPDATE

As Carmelo Anthony(notes) demands the New Jersey Nets surround him with veteran talent as a condition for him to commit to a contract extension, his agent has been the driving force behind bringing Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton(notes) into multiteam trade talks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, also represents Hamilton, and sources said he pushed Nets general manager Billy King to bring the Pistons into trade talks with New Jersey and the Denver Nuggets. Anthony has wanted the Nets to upgrade their roster upon his arrival for him to sign a three-year, $64 million contract extension.

“Leon is driving this one,” one front-office executive told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night. With Anthony’s agent so heavily involved in brokering particular players in the deal, the Nets are working under a belief that a proposed package to bring them Hamilton and Denver’s Chauncey Billups(notes) would be sufficient to sell Anthony on joining them over his preferred destination, the New York Knicks.

Rose and William Wesley of CAA have long wanted to get Anthony and another of their clients, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul(notes), to the Nets as the franchise prepares for a move to Brooklyn, N.Y. Whichever franchise gets Anthony – the Nets or Knicks – will find itself a frontrunner to eventually acquire Paul.

If thats the case of whoever acquires Melo is the front runner to acquire CP3 then I hope the Knicks honestly acquire Melo. A rivalry will be reborn again with Miami and New York and there would be some classic playoff battles between Miami's big 3 and Knicks big 3 of Amar'e, Melo, & CP3.

UPDATE 2:

Is Melo not gonna sign the extension with New Jersey?

Edited by magicbalala245

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein

One source close to process, when asked how close Melo three-way involving Detroit was, said only that sides still "going back and forth"

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein

In other words, deal does not sound as close as Nets, Nuggets, Bobcats and Jazz were to their four-way deal in September. Not yet, anyway

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

In the proposed 3-way for Melo, NJ wants Detroit to take TMurphy & JohanPetro 4 Rip and Det's 1st round pick. Pistons said No Way.

http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard/status/23575432884387841

I don't see this going anywhere, even if it does, Chauncey - Rip - Melo - Brook going anywhere? Is that actually better than Chauncey - JR/Afflalo - Melo - Nene? And the Nuggets bench is certainly better than NJ's. Only fan base I'd be excited for in this deal is Denver. Detroit gets rid of Rips contract, which is a plus, but they can't afford to give up that lotto pick.

I don't see this going anywhere, even if it does, Chauncey - Rip - Melo - Brook going anywhere? Is that actually better than Chauncey - JR/Afflalo - Melo - Nene? And the Nuggets bench is certainly better than NJ's. Only fan base I'd be excited for in this deal is Denver. Detroit gets rid of Rips contract, which is a plus, but they can't afford to give up that lotto pick.

Hahahaha did you really just compare Brook to Nene?

Plus you put the Nuggets in the east and you have a playoff team easily.

Based on their play this season, I think it is a fair comparision. Lopez has taken a step back from his solid sophomore season while Nene is leading the league in FG% at around 64% and putting up 15/8 (I think, haven't looked in a while) compared to Lopez's 19/6 on like 44%. These numbers may be a bit off as I didn't bother to check them, but I think my point stands.

I'm not saying that Nene is better than him or anything because he isn't, but is isn't completely ridiculous to compare them based off of their play this season and this season alone.

Is that all you want? Destroy your team for years just to make a playoff team? :(

Nene per 36: 63% 79% 17.2 ppg 8.7rpg 2.6 apg 1.1 stls .9 blks 2.0 TO's

Brook per 36: 45% 80% 19.3 ppg 6.3 rpg 1.2 apg .7 stls 1.6 blks 2.5 TO's

Yes and now I just compared their stats over similar minutes played

Woj reports Melo, Hamilton, Billups, Carter, Williams to Jersey; Harris, Favors, Graham, Uzoh, picks to Denver; Murphy, Petro to Detroit (possibly with a first-rounder). He didn't mention Morrow, Farmar, or White. I will be thrilled if we keep Morrow.

Woj reports Melo, Hamilton, Billups, Carter, Williams to Jersey; Harris, Favors, Graham, Uzoh, picks to Denver; Murphy, Petro to Detroit (possibly with a first-rounder). He didn't mention Morrow, Farmar, or White. I will be thrilled if we keep Morrow.

Wow. This is huge for the Nets.

Will be completed as soon as tomorrow guys, if tomorrow it doesn't get done, it could collapse just like the Melo 4 team deal in September.

For me, I'm excited we'll get Favors, Harris (would make great trading chip if Billups really seeks buyout, then return to Nuggets on veteran minimum a month later), and Morrow a great shooter... I hope Nets can give us 3 first round picks, instead of 2... then we call it even with those first round picks we gave them for Kenyon years ago.

Will be completed as soon as tomorrow guys, if tomorrow it doesn't get done, it could collapse just like the Melo 4 team deal in September.

I wouldn't say collapse. It would likely just have to wait because the Nets wouldn't have enough players for Wednesday's game.

The New Jersey Nets are nearing an agreement on a three-team trade to acquire Denver Nuggets All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

“It’s real close,” one source with knowledge of the talks said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711

When Woj says, you better believe

David Aldridge also claimed that the deal is near completion and all that the Nets are waiting for is "a commitment from Anthony and his camp on a long-term contract".

The deal would send Anthony, along with guards Chauncey Billups and Anthony Carter, along with center Shelden Williams, to the Nets. Detroit would send veteran Rip Hamilton to New Jersey. The Nets would send guard Devin Harris, rookie forward Derrick Favors, guards Anthony Morrow, Stephen Graham, Quinton Ross and Ben Uzoh, along with two first-round picks, to the Nuggets. New Jersey would send center Johan Petro and forward Troy Murphy (and his expiring $12 million contract) to Detroit.

Source

That's half a new team for the Nets and the Nuggets.

Denver's reportedly hesitating again. It was reportedly about draft picks, but Woj says it's over players.

WOW...if this is true, then they deserve for Melo to leave with nothing. They are literally getting the very best deal anyone is going to offer them, and if they keep stalling and the Nets drop out of the race, they are going to be left with very little.