UPDATE: "I don't see it happening right now"

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Nevertheless, Nets and Pistons were operating under belief there was an agreement. Denver wants NJ to take more money back now, source says

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/24306778481098752

He's also reporting they are still talking tonight.

KBerg_CBS

Sources say Denver needs to be wary of making too many last-minute changes to structure of this deal. Lots of agendas/egos at play. Source: "Last-second ramming guys in and out is not going to fly."

Chris Mannix

A source said new Nuggets owner Josh Kroenke has been seriously sweating this deal the last few weeks. Nervous about getting right package.

This is getting old...

^ So true! If they want anything back they need to accept what they can get! Its the best offer they will recieve and it's definitely better than nothing! Wow I'm amazed by their stupidity to be honest.

Edited by Abro

Den swinging for fences: sources say in addition to Harrington, they're pushing NJ to take Renaldo Balkman & maybe give up 1st rounder too

I'm honestly beginning to hope Melo walks out and Denver gets nothing in return.

• Like 1

Nuggets Trying To Include Harrington In Trade

Chris Broussard of True Hoop is reporting that the hold-up in the three-team trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey is Al Harrington.

Denver wants to include Harrington, who has four years and $28 million left on his contract, in the blockbuster deal.

The Nuggets want the Nets to take on Harrington, but New Jersey is wary of his contract.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71066/20110110/nuggets_trying_to_include_harrington_in_trade/

Before resuming trade talks for Carmelo Anthony(notes) on Monday, the Denver Nuggets delivered a stern warning to the New Jersey Nets: Unless the public nature of these trade discussions becomes private, be warned that we will send Anthony to the New York Knicks.

Nothing else the Nuggets could’ve said would send such chills of unease through the Nets, and that’s why Denver made the threat, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Would the Nuggets do such a thing out of spite? Would they take a lesser package out of vengeance? No one could be sure, but it sure delivered one more element of drama and intrigue to these trade talks.

Indeed, the tone of the discussions between the Nuggets and Nets dramatically changed on Monday. Executives went underground with talks, and several agents were frustrated they could no longer get information from the two teams about where the talks stood. Sources still believed the Nets and Nuggets had the framework of a deal, but the talks had retreated from what one source deemed “really close” on Sunday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-anthonytrade011011

I hope Denver doesnt get [expletive] in return for Carmelo.

Have you read the whole thread, it's gotten to the point where I hope the Nets don't get [expletive]ed in getting melo :lol:, now the Nuggets are playing hardball? Oh boy, if this backfires they are [expletive]ed.

The Nuggets are so [expletive]ing stupid. The Nets offer you far more than what any other team will give you, have had to deal with the bi-polar mixed signals the Nuggets have been sending, and they are STILL trying to tweak the deal to fit your every need....and you have the [expletive]ing balls to keep [expletive]ing, and even threaten to send Melo to the Knicks?!?

If I were King and Prohkorov I would put the skeleton of a deal on the table (basically listing who they're willing to give up, as well as who'd they'd be willing to take in under various scenarios), and tell the Nuggets to take it or leave it. Let it simmer, and let the Nuggets know that's the final straw.

^I agree.

I'm a Nugget fan, but I'm no fan of the FO. If they had wanted to include Harrington, they had to mention him from the very beginning, when all parties started talk. To change a deal when everybody thought it was done at the very last end is just simply bad business ethic = huge turn-off.

I'd be very happy with Favors, Harris, Morrow, scrubs and 2 first rd picks...

If the Nets are smart, they surely know New York can't match their package? Why believe Denver would prefer NY's to theirs? But Phokorov's obsession of Melo's star power blinds everything. If it were up to Billy King and Avery Johnson, this deal would have long been dead. I guess Nuggets understand they're dealing with Phokorov, not King, so they're going to keep increasing the price to the highest possible... but it's still bad business ethic.

This is too weird.. The Nets are giving up everything and anything to acquire Melo.. but the Nuggets still don't want to do it.

I don't think they want to even trade him.. just assess his value.

They definitely don't want anything in return for Melo once he leaves after the season.. lol

What Dave D said about Prokhy back when around when he was approved as owner, saying that he's all-around NBA dumb, has been proven a couple of times, most recently in this instance. King and Prokhorov have two completely different stances on how to handle the situation. The Nuggets, as unprofessional as they have seemed through these talks, are doing what they're doing in part due to Mikhail's eagerness to complete the deal.

After giving up Harris, Favors, Morrow, and three to four picks, our success down the road is dependent on more than just a couple of things. One writer suggested that gutting the team may not be the worst idea at 10-27. But you certainly have to be careful if, as apart of your transaction, you're removing the players that would have been key to your new look team.

The consequences of these trade talks dragging on and on have destroyed two seasons – the Nuggets and the Nets. They’ve insulted paying customers in Colorado and New Jersey, and left Anthony at the mercy of his most dubious decision of all: Hiring Leon Rose and William Wesley of CAA to represent him.

As happened with LeBron James’(notes) inner-circle last summer, there’s a growing tension within Anthony’s camp over the agendas of the agents. Rose and Wesley – the famous Worldwide Wes – have pushed for the Nuggets to make a deal with the Nets. Wesley is a close associate of Nets minority owner, Jay-Z, and everyone believes he wants a further entrée into the lair of Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov. Within the league, they all get it: Wes wants access to Prokhorov’s empire, wants to get the coaches he reps hired in Jersey and get full access to the franchise.

After they deliver New Orleans’ Chris Paul(notes) to the Nets – which could be impossible with Richard Hamilton’s(notes) contract clogging the salary cap – Wesley will have what he wants: a franchise to call his own. CAA is selling itself as the powerhouse agency that’ll package you with the stars, but that’s easy in free agency. How’s it worked for Anthony and Paul? How’s CAA helped their images? How have they muscled teams into doing deals for them?

Rose is ultimately indebted to Wesley as the recruiting muscle of his agency, but has a unique affinity and loyalty to Hamilton. Hamilton is one of his longest-standing clients, and Rose wants badly to pull Hamilton away from the rebuilding Pistons and partner him with Anthony and Chauncey Billups(notes) in New Jersey. Rose – not anyone else – constructed the idea to send Hamilton to the Nets. How this all benefits Anthony remains a mystery.

Woj

LOS ANGELES -- With so many moving pieces and countless variables, there are cautions everywhere, and you need only look back to last Sunday when the virtually done deal became virtually undone. But several NBA sources expressed growing optimism that the Nets are nearing a completion to the Carmelo Anthony saga with an agreement possible this weekend.

One source said quite simply that a conclusion to the drama could come “soon.”

How soon?

“This weekend,” another league source maintained, putting the odds strongly in the Nets’ favor while cautioning despite the favorable outlook with three teams (Nuggets, Pistons) and 14 players involved the chances of snags are always real.

The problem becomes logistics. The Nets play here Friday night against the Lakers, are in Portland on Saturday, then face the Warriors in Oakland in a Monday holiday matinee. The Nets have to field a team for those games, and eight of their players are destined to be moving on to other teams. When this trip concludes, the Nets play Wednesday at home, which is Russian Culture night when owner Mikhail Prokhorov is expected to be on hand.

When it looked like the deal was going down last weekend, a source said Prokhorov would charter flights if necessary to get players from here to there. Presumably, that would be the case here.

Detroit also has a Monday matinee; Denver plays Sunday in San Antonio and is off Monday and Tuesday. The league offices, which must review the trade, will be closed for the holiday and reopen Tuesday. Players must pass physicals before the deal is deemed done.

Fred Kerber