U.S. Democrat Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Real Deal

Obama releases statement:

This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tucson, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded.

We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers.

http://govne.ws/item/Statement-by-the-President-300#

While placing all of the blame on Palin is silly, that graphic was horrible judgment. Obviously she didn't create it, but it was on her website. There are enough nut jobs out there who will take something like that literally, as we may have unfortunately learned today. Perhaps it's just coincidence, perhaps it isn't.

lol no... no she can't. She's already going to have some explaining to do, as a public political figure you certainly can't "go about it however you please". Don't be so ignorant.

Yes, she can because this is America. She doesn't have to explain herself at all lol. Its not like she ordered a hit out on this woman. It was a tactic used to get a message across to voters. Obviously now she'll have to use something different because its such a touchy subject.

• Like 1

Yes, she can because this is America. She doesn't have to explain herself at all lol. Its not like she ordered a hit out on this woman. It was a tactic used to get a message across to voters. Obviously now she'll have to use something different because its such a touchy subject.

You are so incredibly feeble minded. Not worth my time or effort to get you to understand, because you're already convinced that you're right.

• Like 4

Hopefully she'll be fine. RIP to the victims. The thing about the 9 year old girl dying makes me absolutely sick. I hope this guy gets executed ASAP, I don't care if he's insane or not.

I think it's horrible that people are linking Sarah Palin to this. This guy was obviously mentally ill and to use this horrific tragedy to promote a political purpose is downright disgusting.

I haven't read many articles about the shooting yet, but I know I saw the map with targets a while ago, and there was a lot of complaining about them. I don't think the targets had everything to do with the shooting or even a lot, but I just think that some people out there that see symbols like that will make poor decisions. It would have been a much wiser decision to color coordinate the areas in question instead of putting a target on the places.

It's just a real bad story,

• Owner

The 9-year old that was killed was born on 9/11/2001. :o

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7832686-rip-christina-taylor-green-born-on-911-died-today-by-a-gunmans-hand

And...

Among the six killed and 13 injured reportedly in Tucson, Ariz. was 9-year-old third-grader Christina-Taylor Green. Green had two personal connections to Major League Baseball; She was a daughter of Los Angeles Dodgers scout John Green and a granddaughter of former Philadelphia Phillies manager Dallas Green.

Her grandfather, 76, managed the Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980. He also managed the Yankees and Mets and was general manager of the Chicago Cubs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dallas-Green-s-granddaughter-dies-in-Arizona-sho?urn=mlb-305133

Not to be insensitive to the topic here because this really is a terrible tragedy, but why do I feel like this is a conspiracy theorists dream?

Because it kind of sets up as one...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/hernandez-giffords.jpg

Daniel Hernandez had only been Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days, and on Saturday, he may have saved her life.

The University of Arizona junior was standing 30 feet away from the Democratic congresswoman when she was shot in the head at a meet-and-greet event in her district, and he immediately rushed to her side. As everyone on hand waited for emergency medical support to arrive, Hernandez held Giffords's head in his lap and applied pressure to her wound.

At the same time, Hernandez advised others on providing help for the other 20 others injured and killed in the attack—and that quick thinking has led many to label him a hero in Saturday's horrific event.

"When I heard gunshots, my first instinct was to head toward the congresswoman to make sure that she was okay," Hernandez said in an interview with ABC's Christine Amanpour Sunday. "Once I saw that she was down, and there were more than one victim, I went ahead and started doing the limited triage that I could with what I had."

Hernandez, who is 20, told ABC that he simply "shut off all emotion." "I knew I wouldn't be good to anyone if I had a breakdown," he recalled. He noted that he went to help because he had "limited experience in triage and training."

He lifted up Giffords' head, because he feared she might choke on her own blood, and used smocks from the grocery store's meat department as a makeshift bandages for her and other victims.

Giffords, he says, was alert, but couldn't talk.

"'Just grab my hand to let me know that you're okay,'" he recalls telling the injured lawmaker.

According to Hernandez, she squeezed his hand, and he didn't let go, riding with her in the ambulance to the hospital, where she was rushed into emergency surgery.

"It was probably not the best idea to run toward the gunshots," he told the Arizona Republic. "But people needed help."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110109/ts_yblog_theticket/meet-daniel-hernandez-the-intern-who-likely-saved-gabrielle-giffords-life

Now he's gonna plead insane and get out after 16 years.

I kinda doubt it since he shot a US Representative in the head, and killed a 9 year old and federal judge. They will do everything in their power to get this crazy bastard the lethal injection.

Terrible thing, but on a side note it is going to do wonders for her campaign now that she has the sympathy card.

Yep. It'll also do wonders for her post-mortum career of having her head be a bowling ball...she's only got two holes to go!!!

I'm going to hell... <_<

Terrible thing, but on a side note it is going to do wonders for her campaign now that she has the sympathy card.

Yeah, I'm sure she'd exchange a bullet to her dome for political gains