Out of state fans: how did it happen?

The Truth

The first game I ever watched was a Bulls vs Spurs game in 1989. I was only 3 years old but my mother always says after that day I always wanted to watch basketball. I have an uncle who lives in San Antonio and every birthday he would send me a Spurs hat or shirt or something like that. TBH I was more interested in Michael Jordan and the Bulls. In 1993 my school was having Phoenix Suns parades for the finals and I was the only kid not going for them. I'm pretty sure that is how my PURE HATRED for the Suns started. Anyway I always liked Robinson and the Spurs due to my uncle, but if you would have asked me back then I was primarily a Bulls fan. As I got a bit older and started to understand the game more I would follow the Spurs as much as I could. (especially the years when Jordan retired). I quickly became a huge fan of the Spurs and the Bulls were left as my 2nd team.

Eventhough the Suns are my hometown team I will never like them and will always be a Spurs fan.

Hey I'm not sitting here judging anyone (it seems like I struck a nerve unintentionally), I can tell the difference between a frontrunner and a fan. I just don't understand it personally, I guess it's just me, I feel obligated to cheer for the Leafs/Raptors, but that obligation makes me feel like the day when these teams finally do start winning, it will really be that much sweeter, as a fan.

I don't care if people choose their team. I don't think I really chose the teams I cheer for, but if other people do that's fine. I just find it annoying, as do most, people that are somehow Laker, Yankee and Patriot fans, or something stupid like that. As long as you support your team unconditionally long-term, I'm not saying [expletive].

OTR had a Lakers, Yankees and Cowboys fan.

I was born in Indiana. Moved when i was like 4. I can't remember anything from then and wa clearly not interested in sports. The Lakers were on basically every night on kcal and fan west, so it was hard not to get into them. As for the Angels, they obviously used to be a joke. My dad worked for Disney, so free tickets were involved a lot of times.

When i got into pro football, there was no team in LA. My mom and dad were born in Chicago. My grandpa was born in Chicago. My family would never shut the hell up about the Bears. Best solution? Be a Packers fan.

Btw, if you want to argue that I should be a Colts or Pacers fan(Slaven), I lived right on the Illinois state border, with all of my family living in Illinois, so Bulls/Bears would have been much more likely if I hadnt moved.

Well I can't be a fan of an NBA team from my city or country as we have none... But even if we had one I wouldn't be a fan of it. Cause even if I like to watch some European games from time to time, Euroleague is quite interesting, I've always been first a fan of US basketball. Basketball is an American sport anyhow so the real basketball is the American one. I don't understand why we don't have the same rule here anyhow, that doesn't make any sense... Well there's only a couple of things that I prefer in the European rules, it's that there is no star treatment and refs actually whistle when there's a traveling... But other than that we should definitely have the NBA rules.

Well anyhow when I became an NBA fan I immediately was more attracted by the Knicks. First because I've always loved New York. Since I can't remember. I've always loved Big Apple. For me it's the greatest city on Earth. It's not the capital of the US but it's IMO the capital of the world. As a matter of fact there's just everything there. All the cultures, all the races are in New York. The entire world lives in New York. And that's what I love the most about this city. I also love the buildings, the fact that you can see anybody while nobody can see you... Well I just love it.

But even if I didn't love New York I think that I would have become a Knicks fan nonetheless. As a matter of fact the Knicks in the 90's had all what I love in the game of basketball. Huge defense, even violent defense, just like I love it, huge heart, etc... Everything that I love in basketball. For those reasons I had to become a Knicks fan. And I still am. And I know that I'll always be in fact, I've been a Knicks fan through all the 2000's, despite the fact that we sucked the whole decade. So I know that I will always be a Knicks for sure. I have nothing against people who don't do as I do though, I have no problem with people who switch teams all the time. Everyone is allowed to support the teams they want, I'm the fan of only one team but I definitely understand that some other people don't do the same, that's just fine by me.

Born and raised in central NJ most of my life... Dad is old/oldschool, so he liked all the original NY teams: Knicks, Yankees, Giants, Rangers. I just grew into it. Lived in Philly for about a year when I was 22, moved back home for a year at 23, and back out to Philly this August at 24. So I haven't been here long :lol:

man, you chose Philly over NY? :shok:

By default, I'm a Nets fan at heart because I was born and raised in NJ, and have been to probably over 100 Nets games in my lifetime. I've been to games when they were awful in the '90's, been to playoff games when they were great in the early-mid '00's, and now go to games when they play teams like the Heat and Lakers. I'll always have a soft spot for them.

But, in reality, I'm a homer of individual players. In the last 2 years of his tenure with the Magic, and all of his time with the Rockets, I would watch almost every single game McGrady would play. When that happens, I kind of grow an attatchment to the entire team. In the last few years (since the 2006 Finals), I've been that way with D-Wade, and now that the new Big 3 has formed, I feel compelled to watch every single Heat game I can. Because of this, I've grown fascinated with the team, and root for them because I want the best for Wade. In the 2 games which Wade didn't play this year, I either didn't watch the game or found it a little hard to enjoy watching the team.

that's what's up. the Heat and Nets are my two favorite teams as well. :drinks:

Haha, 3 straight posters who were/are T-Mac homers. Awesome.

McGrady used to be my favorite player also. :wub:

Heard the Lakers from the Ice Cube song today was a good day... they were the only team I'd heard of.

that's impossible. the Sonics were mentioned in the same line. :glasses:

I don't know how anyone can be emotionally invested/attached to an out of state team unless they were born there. It's why I've never been a huge football fan, I just can't become emotionally invested in some random team.

well, for me, I have family in Miami. I've been to a few Heat games in my time. :dribble:

Edited by HOV

Well I guess I can explain here how I'm a Packers fan and a Yankee fan, even though no matter what I write I'll still be labeled the bandwagoner lol.

Packers - My Dad started following them when he was a little kid and Bart Starr was his favorite player growing up. Each kid on his block had their own team when they were younger and his was Green Bay. So ever since then he was a huge Packer fan and passed it down to me since the time I was old enough to watch and understand sports. I still remember being like 6 years old when we beat the Patriots in SB31 and then losing to Denver in SB 32. I'll never forget that Denver game because I never cried more as a little kid. So that's basically the deal with me and Green Bay. I like the Dolphins and I'll root for them to win most of the time, but I wouldn't call myself a Dolphin fan at all.

Yankees - Basically the same thing, family influence from an early age. My grandfather is a die hard Yankee fan and decided that I was gonna be a Yankee fan so I grew up on those teams that 3-peated and Derek Jeter was my idol growing up as well. Him and Griffey were both considered God to me. In 03, I rooted for the Yankees over the Marlins and when we lost I got it pretty bad from my friends lol. I never liked the Marlins and probably won't ever, just how it is.

lol I'm living with my girlfriend out here, she's here for school

I gotchu.

BORN IN ANAHEIM, STARTIN WATCHIN LAKERS SINCE A YOUNG BUCK

MOVED TO OREGON

GAGGED ON MY OWN THANG, WHICH LED TO BLAZERS AS MY 2ND TIER FAV TEAM

LIVE NOW IN ARIZONA, THIS STATE SUX, ITZ NASTY. REAL SUCKY

ALL ABOUT THE LAKERS AND THE NW

why you don't like AZ cuz?