Chandler-Okafor deal in works

This deal is done. Will be announced tomorrow.

The Charlotte Bobcats have agreed to trade center Emeka Okafor -- the team's first collegiate draft choice -- to the New Orleans Hornets for center Tyson Chandler, a Bobcats source confirmed to The Observer.

The deal isn't expected to become official until Tuesday, the source said.

Okafor, taken by the Bobcats out of Connecticut with the second overall pick of the NBA draft in their expansion season of 2004, averaged a double-double -- 14.0 points, 10.7 rebounds -- in five seasons in Charlotte. He has five years remaining on a $72 million contract and played in all 82 games for Bobcats in each of their past two seasons.

The 7-foot-1 Chandler averaged 8.8 point and 8.7 rebounds for the Hornets last season. He was limited to 45 games because of a toe injury. He was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder last season, but the deal was rescinded when Chandler didn't pass a physical.

LINK

I love this deal. I really liked Tyson and felt the pick and roll with him and Paul was so important to our offense, but getting a player that puts up slightly better numbers and is much less injury prone is a win. Still need some pieces though, and I would be surprised if this is all we are doing this off-season.

I don't think this a good pick for the Hornets at all. Who's CP3 going to look for when the inside is empty? There won't be Chandler there for him to throw an alley to, Okafor is smaller than Chandler and Chandler can get up there more and put the ball into the ring from an alley easily. I think Chandler fits NOH's system better than Okafor will.

Though, this trade isn't so bad for the Bobcats cause they actually needed a center who isn't undersized.

But for the players its good, for the teams not so much.

Who cares if CP3 can't throw 2 alley-oops a game to Ty? Tyson is a far below average shooter from anywhere outside 4 feet, no joke. Emeka can at least hit a few jumpers here and there, and will compliment David West. Now it's basically like having two PFs playing, but Meka can now get better passes than he ever has, and with the better looks his stats (which were already better than Tyson's) will only improve.

Hornets will now find a way to get a shooting guard I bet. Thornton has played well in the SL but idk if he'll pan out TBH. I wish we could deal Peja and Posey for a good 2 guard, and have Butler come off the bench for the 2 or 3. Peja played poorly last year, just after being the tell-tale sign of a win or loss in NO. When Peja was on fire, the Hornets were, and when he wasn't we got beat in the WCSF in game 7 (after takinga 3-2 lead thanks partially to the 3 ball).

If we can get another good shooter, but someone that also plays D and do this at the 2, then this starting lineup is looking pretty scary. I think Wright will be a 12 point per game guy this year, and with his lock-down defense and jump out of the gym athleticism, he'll have a shot at starting from wire to wire.

This trade makes absolutely NO sense for Charlotte.

For a second I was thinking of the Charlotte Hornets but yeah the Hornets win this one and I guess Charlotte does it to make a splash next year in FA? That's the only thing I can think of.

• Owner

For a second I was thinking of the Charlotte Hornets but yeah the Hornets win this one and I guess Charlotte does it to make a splash next year in FA? That's the only thing I can think of.

Chandler has a player option of $12.7 million in 2010-11, and there's no way he's passing on that.

Again, it's a salary dump trade for the Bobcats. Emeka Okafor's contract is way too long. It's not like Charlotte takes a big step down in level of competitiveness. Chandler might not be a double double player like Okafor is, but at least he plays with more heart than Okafor does. Okafor is a great player statistically wise, but his impact on a game is overrated.

This trade might not look even in paper, but I think it has potential to be a better move by Charlotte than New Orleans. Who thought trading Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley for Boris Diaw and Raja Bell was a good idea?

• Owner

Actually, Jason Richardson was a problem for Charlotte. Watching their games, it was pretty evident he didn't belong there.

Diaw gave them versatility, and Bell plays defense and spreads the floor. Jason did none of that for them on a consistent basis, really.

And I just found out that Charlotte added a first-rounder, which is just stupid.

Actually, Jason Richardson was a problem for Charlotte. Watching their games, it was pretty evident he didn't belong there.

Diaw gave them versatility, and Bell plays defense and spreads the floor. Jason did none of that for them on a consistent basis, really.

And I just found out that Charlotte added a first-rounder, which is just stupid.

You're right about the J-Rich and Diaw statement. It just seemed like when that trade went down, everyone was saying that Phoenix got the better end of the deal and Charlotte could have gotten better value. Weeks later, a lot of analysts and forum members were eating their words.

Charlotte is not sending a first-rounder.

I'm sure you're referring to this quote: "It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick."

That's just saying that Okafor was the Bobcats first draft pick. They aren't sending a first rounder in this deal.

• Owner

Charlotte is not sending a first-rounder.

I'm sure you're referring to this quote: "It took a deal with tinkering Charlotte coach Larry Brown, who was willing to jettison the Bobcats' first draft pick."

That's just saying that Okafor was the Bobcats first draft pick. They aren't sending a first rounder in this deal.

Nah, I read this at RealGM:

Emeka Okafor was dealt to the Hornets along with a first round pick for Tyson Chandler on Tuesday.

"We looked at this trade as an opportunity to improve our team," Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said. "Tyson brings that unique level of athleticism in a 7-footer that puts us in a position to compete night in and night out with the other quality centers in the league."

But I'm assuming they may have been the ones to read it wrong.

Real, Okafor's contract is longer... maybe that's the reason.

Defensively, Tyson is longer and more of an impact player... he changes shots and is much more active than Okafor. I think that's what Brown likes.

For NO, they bring in consistency. Okafor may not be a better finisher especially alley oop plays... but he has good hands and will still finish. He also has a few post moves they can go to on half court sets and should open things up more than just CP3. And he is an automatic 10 rebound player every night.

Nah, I read this at RealGM:

But I'm assuming they may have been the ones to read it wrong.

Ah, yeah, I think they just read it wrong. haha. Neither ESPN or NBA.com said anything about a first round pick heading anywhere.