Chris Broussard: Lakers, Nuggets talk Carmelo for Bynum package no Artest or Odom involved

I still dont see how you Laker fans are high on Bynum? I knew that dude was a fraud ever since the start. And then you guys would say look he just went 24 and 12 for five games HE GOT UPSIDEZZ. Then he gets hurt for 3433 games. Great trade for the Lakers if it happens.

he definitely hasn't lived up to the hype, but he's still a threat on the court whether he's scoring or not. his sheer size helps the Lakers immensely. imagine if Gasol had to guard Dwight in the finals a couple years ago. imagine if Odom had to guard Garnett last year. the Lakers still probably would have won those series lol, but Bynum made things easier. in fact, it was the series in which they didn't have Bynum when they lost to Boston in the finals a few years ago.

he's still giving the Lakers close to eight rebounds and two blocks a game. he's also a good interior defender who usually keeps the elite big men within their means. they'll need him to start scoring more eventually, but I think a lot of people forget he's still in his early 20's. he's got a lot of years left and I don't think he's even reached his prime yet. with all that said, I'd still trade Bynum for Melo, but I think the Lakers have a pretty good shot at the ring even without Melo this year.

Not to mention Melo has to adjust to being the second guy in that triangle offense. I just don't think he and Kobe fit very well together I have to be honest. Neither of those 2 are the type of playmaker that Wade or LBJ is nor are they as unselfish. That's just my 2 cents though.

it would be interesting to see how they coexist. they'd both want the ball in big situations and they'd both want to take the final shots. I'm sure Kobe would get those shots and Melo would probably get pissed after awhile. I personally think New York is a much better opportunity for Carmelo. he goes back to his home state, becomes the number one option, and he'd have some good teammates out there. if he wants to be 'the man,' LA definitely isn't the place for him.

Edited by HOV

Not to mention Melo has to adjust to being the second guy in that triangle offense. I just don't think he and Kobe fit very well together I have to be honest. Neither of those 2 are the type of playmaker that Wade or LBJ is nor are they as unselfish. That's just my 2 cents though.

Odom, Kobe and Pau are all terrific passers, the trio would work, no doubt. If Kobe pushes Mitch into trading for Melo, then this will work out.

I can't believe we are still talking about upside for a guy in his 6th NBA season now, especially since he has no knees.

Also talking about Bynum's presence or whatever, Bynum missed their first finals appearance, and averaged less than 25 minutes during their last 2 playoff runs. They can survive without him, especially with the emergence of Lamar Odom. To suggest the Lakers NOT do this deal is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.

I really don't think it's based off of talent or upside, it's more due to the fact that LA is bringing in a superstar to a team that has made it to the Finals every season since Pau arrived.

I still dont see how you Laker fans are high on Bynum? I knew that dude was a fraud ever since the start. And then you guys would say look he just went 24 and 12 for five games HE GOT UPSIDEZZ. Then he gets hurt for 3433 games. Great trade for the Lakers if it happens.

I'm not really high on him, but he gives us the best chance of winning another championship. I have too many concerns with this trade-there aren't enough touches to go around, we lose frontcourt size and depth, and we lose strong perimeter defense (Artest will go to the bench), ect. Granted this would be one hell of a deal if we could lock up Melo for the longrun, but for right now I'm concerned about a three-peat and that wont happen if we trade away Bynum for Melo.

• Owner

Melo will fit into the triangle, and it won't take long to implement him into it. He's the ideal player at the three.

Trading Bynum means we start Odom...and people don't get how significant that is. Odom is a legitimate all-star...and, even coming off the bench for the last month or so, the dude was STILL close to making the game. He's very difficult for opposing PF's to defend.

Drew is a potential 20/10 guy on a struggling team. Injuries aside, he's an all-star center. Injuries aside.

I do this trade over and over again, but I said on TLN that this would never happen. Hope I'm wrong. A frontcourt of Gasol (who, last season, had his best numbers at the center position), Odom and Melo would be incredibly tough to stop, and that's not considering Bryant, and Ron/Barnes playing defense off the bench, and Brown becoming a little more efficient again due to less responsibility (was a 50/40/90 shooter for a month or so in the season).

The fact is, Drew is an average defensive player that makes mistakes over and over again, especially rotating over and in pick and roll situations. Phil Jackson has stated this over and over again, and it's evident just by watching. He's a black hole when he gets the ball in the post, which shuts off all ball movement in the triangle...he hardly ever passes out of the post.

To say that his presence will be missed, well, you must not know how much his presence has been missed for years.

If Melo lands in LA, he would not be a rental... Melo is an East Coast guy, but he would immediately sign extension if he plays in LA.

I can't believe we are still talking about upside for a guy in his 6th NBA season now, especially since he has no knees.

Also talking about Bynum's presence or whatever, Bynum missed their first finals appearance, and averaged less than 25 minutes during their last 2 playoff runs. They can survive without him, especially with the emergence of Lamar Odom. To suggest the Lakers NOT do this deal is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.

Agreed.

I was high on Bynum as well, but series of injuries and his lack of desire to prove himself when healthy turns me off.

• Owner

I'd also like to add that Denver's stupid for not taking freaking Favors when they had the chance.

dealing Melo within their own conference with Bynum as their big return is depressing.

I don't think that was going to happen without Melo meeting up with Prokhorov, and he declined. The Knicks were far more important to Melo at the time, or so it seemed.

Real Deal[/b]' timestamp='1297208490' post='240225']

To say that his presence will be missed, well, you must not know how much his presence has been missed for years.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone read this part again. Brandon knows what he is talking about with the Lakers and for all the guys saying that there won't be enough touches and all that other nonsense, stop. I am pretty sure they said the same about the Celtics, oh yeah and the Heat as well. Get off of Bynum's mangina and let him go rot in Denver.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone read this part again. Brandon knows what he is talking about with the Lakers and for all the guys saying that there won't be enough touches and all that other nonsense, stop. I am pretty sure they said the same about the Celtics, oh yeah and the Heat as well. Get off of Bynum's mangina and let him go rot in Denver.

It's not all about his presence, it's the fact that we are going to have absolutely no depth. Lamar is going to be moved back into a starting role, which is going to leave us with no solid big men in our rotation. What is Phil going to do when Pau or Lamar get into foul trouble, play Joe Smith? Give me a break. And on top of that we all know how big of a [expletive] Pau is, I'm not really comfortable with him playing the five. I don't care what people say, Bynum presence alone makes a big difference, he's an intimidating force in the middle.

Edited by Confidence

• Owner

If LA trades for Melo, they'll shop a SF for a big, or will try and bring in a big with Melo (ex. Birdman). The Lakers called the Bobcats about a possible trade with Ron Artest, so they aren't shopping just Drew. Kupchak has made some excellent deals as of late, so it wouldn't worry me if we take this one, because I believe he'd work a second deal, or use our TPE, something.

It's not all about his presence, it's the fact that we are going to have absolutely no depth. Lamar is going to be moved back into a starting role, which is going to leave us with no solid big men in our rotation. What is Phil going to do when Pau or Lamar get into foul trouble, play Joe Smith? Give me a break. And on top of that we all know how big of a [expletive] Pau is, I'm not really comfortable with him playing the five. I don't care what people say, Bynum presence alone makes a big difference, he's an intimidating force in the middle.

Reggie Evans for a 1st at the deadline. Problem solved. :)

• Like 1

• Owner

It was confirmed that the Lakers had an offer on the table back in the summer, and Jim Buss waived it off.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a legit rumor, the Lakers revisiting this idea, because of our recent struggles and Ron's inability to produce.

By record, we are a better team without Drew this season, and last season, Gasol's numbers were better at the center position than they were at the PF spot.

Hard for me to really dismiss this at the time...especially with Phil taking a shot at Drew the other day, his displeasure with Gasol, Kobe having to talk to Gasol about being more physical and taking the load off of him, the Lakers contacting the Bobcats about Ron, Mitch telling everyone he will explore trades LONG before there was talk about Melo coming here, and Magic also saying the Lakers needed to make a move.

Bynum and Chandler are the same age, only Bynum has been in the NBA 2 years longer, let's compare thier total career numbers shall we?

Chandler

Games: 229

Rebounds: 1,202

Assists: 418

Steals: 161

Blocks: 203

Three's: 231

TO's: 336

Bynum

Games: 305

Rebounds: 2,058

Assists: 334

Steals: 83

Blocks: 454

Three's: 0

TO's: 416

Not to even mention Bynum's huge contract and health concerns, and the Knicks are giving a pick as well...

Edited by fish7718

Bynum and Chandler are the same age, only Bynum has been in the NBA 2 years longer, let's compare thier total career numbers shall we?

Chandler

Games: 229

Rebounds: 1,202

Assists: 418

Steals: 161

Blocks: 203

Three's: 231

TO's: 336

Bynum

Games: 305

Rebounds: 2,058

Assists: 334

Steals: 83

Blocks: 454

Three's: 0

TO's: 416

Not to even mention Bynum's huge contract and health concerns, and the Knicks are giving a pick as well...

OMG, is this is a joke^?

Bynum has the potential to be a top 3 center, and Chandler is a great role player at best.

You've gotta be kidding me...

OMG, is this is a joke^?

Bynum has the potential to be a top 3 center, and Chandler is a great role player at best.

You've gotta be kidding me...

-_- Your post is the joke...Chandler a role player? :lol: He's the 2nd best player on the Knicks, how does Bynum have more potential than Chandler when they are the same age and Bynum has been in the NBA 2 more years? Stop living in 2007. Bynum is a 6 year vet who's best year was 15 and 8 in 65 games.

I'll agree Bynum is possibly the better player, but when you factor in contract and injuries I think Chandler is clearly more valuable in a trade.

• Owner

Two things about Drew that make this deal look good for Denver:

1) He's a big that can produce 20/10 as a primary or secondary option.

2) After next season, he's a $15 million expiring if the Nuggets choose not to bring him back for the 2012/13 season. Not that far away.

The draft could be weak this year, and the Nuggets could be thinking about all of the picks they could potentially get in deals for the rest of their players...some expiring contracts (K-Mart's $16.5 million, Billups' $13.1 million), some contributing role players (ex. JR Smith, Nene).

Looking at the payroll, Denver shouldn't care about getting back any expiring contracts because they have two that are worth a combined $29.6 million, and JR Smith's $6 million can also come off the books.

If Drew doesn't pan out for them, they only have to keep him for the rest of this season AND the following...that's it. After that, it's another $15 million.

The Nuggets are stuck with Al Harrington for five seasons. They want Afflalo to develop into a very good starter, and they feel he's capable of being an all-star reserve level player. If they keep Smith, keep Lawson, keep Nene...what's the use for Chandler? Denver would rather have a big, which is why they were so high on Favors. K-Mart is going to expire, and after that, it's just Harrington...who is a true SF. They want to drop him to his natural position, possibly drop Nene to the four.

Bynum makes sense. Chandler puts up better numbers right now, but Drew is also a 5th-6th option on the Lakers, looking at FGA per game (6th if I recall correctly, behind Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Artest and Brown). Primary option, or second option, and he's far, far better than Chandler. Injury-free, of course.

The only reason Denver takes Chandler over Drew? The injuries. Other than that, they would be insane to.