Raymond Felton or Chauncey Billups: Who Would You Rather Have on the Knicks?

Jonah

Heres an article I wrote for my blog. Let me know who you guys would prefer on the Knicks!

Chauncey Billups and Raymond Felton have recently been added to the rumored trade between the New York Knicks and the Denver Nuggets.

The New York Knicks are hoping to acquire Carmelo Anthony before the February 24 trade deadline and are trying to assemble a group of players that will satisfy Denver.

The media has said that the Knicks do not have any assets that are attractive to the Nuggets.

However, recently trade talks have progressed.

The Knicks are hoping that the pressure of trading Carmelo before the trade deadline in order to receive some value for him will give the Knicks some leverage, and ultimately force the Nuggets to trade him to his desired location, New York.

Raymond Felton started out the year playing extraordinarily well. His performance has since dropped, but he has showed that he has the skill to lead a team.

Chauncey Billups is in the final year of his contract and the Nuggets see that Raymond Felton could be a valuable player moving forward.

It has been rumored that the Nuggets would like the Knicks to include Raymond Felton and take back Chauncey Billups if the Knicks would like to acquire Carmelo Anthony.

Even though Raymond has performed very well this year, I would take Chauncey Billups in a second. Here are a few reasons why:

Raymond Felton has four career playoff games under his belt, while Billups has 139. If the Knicks would like to make a push deep into the playoffs, they will need experience.

Billups brings exactly that to the table. He has gone deep into the playoffs many times with Detroit and will be a great veteran leader for this team.

Chauncey Billups has experience playing with Carmelo Anthony.

Raymond Felton and Amare Stoudemire has become a dominant pick-and-roll pair.

While Chauncey has no experience playing with Amare, he has played with Melo for the last two seasons. Chauncey is an elite point guard and there is no doubt in my mind that he will be able to adjust to play with Amare. Who couldn’t? I could see him running the pick-and-roll better then Raymond because Billups is a better shooter.

Imagine if Raymond Felton could hit three pointers. It would be great, right?

Well that is exactly what Billups can do.

This year Chauncey is shooting the three-ball at 44 percent. He is in the top five of the NBA in three-point percentage.

It is sickening to see Raymond Felton lead the team in three-point attempts in a game. It is not uncommon to see him throw up six to seven three-pointers a game and hit one or two. Chauncey is a legit scoring point guard that can pass very well as well.

Some people may look at Billups’ five assists per game and say “really?” but that can only go up if he plays with Amare and Melo.

Look at Raymond Felton. Last year in Charlotte he averaged five assists per game, and look at him now—9 assists per game.

Chauncey would be a great fit in New York with Carmelo and Amare because not only does he have the shooting ability to put up points, but also his number of assists per game will skyrocket.

We have seen Raymond’s stats plateau. Will Billups average 16 points, five assists and two rebounds in New York?

No. He will average about 21 points, eight to nine assists and three to four rebounds.

I think that Chauncey Billups would be a great fit for New York. Sure, some people may feel like we cannot trade Felton because all he has done for the team this season, but come on. Will New York really pass on a score point guard?

I think the answer is no.

Raymond has been unbelievable for the first 52 games this year, and I really appreciate all he has done for this team. He is starting to slow down and we cannot be mad about this.

I think it is a great opportunity to acquire both Melo and Billups from Denver because not only will we gain another all-star in Melo, but a tremendous veteran point guard in Billups.

Oh yeah, possibly the best thing about all of this is that Billups’ contract is up after this year.

He would be a great player to rent for a playoff push, while still being able to be in the mix for Deron Williams and Chris Paul.

Can you say Chris Paul or Deron Williams, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire?

I think so.

It was rumored that Billups would not like to go to New Jersey in a trade because he is from Denver and is very happy staying with his family.

But come on, can he really pass on playing with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony on the biggest stage in the world?

Lol what? Since when has it been rumored the Knicks would give up Felton in a deal for Melo? Source besides your blog?

And at this stage of their careers, I'm taking Felton. I don't want an old washed up Billups, please.

Lol what? Since when has it been rumored the Knicks would give up Felton in a deal for Melo? Source besides your blog?

And at this stage of their careers, I'm taking Felton. I don't want an old washed up Billups, please.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210861/Felton_Billups_Could_Be_Added_To_Carmelo_Deal

I would take Billups if it meant getting Melo, but straight up I would obviously prefer Felton.

Well, yeah, sure...but I'm still we'd still have to give up Fields/Chandler/Gallo (2 out of the 3) as well. Lets say they give up Fields, Felton, and Chandler, Randolph (1st rd pick) and Eddy Curry for Billups and Melo. Did their team realy get that much better? Idk...

Well, yeah, sure...but I'm still we'd still have to give up Fields/Chandler/Gallo (2 out of the 3) as well. Lets say they give up Fields, Felton, and Chandler, Randolph (1st rd pick) and Eddy Curry for Billups and Melo. Did their team realy get that much better? Idk...

In basketball it will always be quality over quantity, and it isn't even really about getting better right now for New York. The Knicks aren't winning anything this year realistically no matter who is on the team, so they are better off going into next year with Amare and Melo than they are with their current team.

Of course in a perfect world they keep all their players right now and sign Melo, but that is not certain, and even at that point they will have to surrender Wilson's rights to sign him.

Right now we're talking about whether or not that Knicks should part with ROLE players (and how many) for a SUPERSTAR, which to me is just ridiculous.

In basketball it will always be quality over quantity, and it isn't even really about getting better right now for New York. The Knicks aren't winning anything this year realistically no matter who is on the team, so they are better off going into next year with Amare and Melo than they are with their current team.

Of course in a perfect world they keep all their players right now and sign Melo, but that is not certain, and even at that point they will have to surrender Wilson's rights to sign him.

Right now we're talking about whether or not that Knicks should part with ROLE players (and how many) for a SUPERSTAR, which to me is just ridiculous.

Fields, Gallinari, and Chandler are all under the age of 24...so it's not like they're trading a bunch of role playing scrubs. We are not sure what the future holds for these guys. Fields will most likely be a role player his entire career, but Chandler and Gallo have the ability and potential to be an absolute star in this league within the next 2 or 3 seasons...

Gallo has the ability to be a 20 and 7 guy with solid defense. And Chandler pretty much the same, a great slasher, mediocre shooter (that continues to get better) and a solid defender as well. Losing those two would be huge to gain a great scorer, but a guy who isn't a terrific rebounder and an average defender at best in Carmelo.