2/14 Raw Thread - THE ROCK HAS RETURNED!

• Owner

Way to list some of the better guys in the company

He's right, though. It wouldn't change too much just by sticking Cena and Orton on the list. He listed a guy that still belongs on reality TV, yet holds a title (and not just some title, but the WWE Championship, at that).

Aside from last night's show (meaning, the other two Raw shows I've watched in the last month, and those I've tuned into once every 3 months or so), wrestling has been terrible. About 10% of the roster can actually wrestle and sell moves well, and guys like Morrison, even though they can be exciting, are nowhere near the place HBK was.

Guys like Edge, Orton, and Cena were always main eventers, so I don't see the point in mentioning them. CM Punk, Miz, and Swagger couldn't even dream of main eventing a show back in the day. Just two years ago I considered Miz a scrub, now he's a heavyweight champ? That's pathetic.

Don't know about The Miz or Swagger as I stopped paying attention to wrestling before they came around, but CM Punk has been one of the best wrestlers in the last 10 years. He just never got the hype of guys like HHH, HBK, Rock, Austin etc... because he wasn't with the WWE or WCW and was working the indies. Not only is he a great wrestler, but he is amazing on the mic and can be equally effective as both a heel and a face.

If anything, the PG rating is holding CM Punk back from being as good as he can be. The man is brilliant at what he does. If guys like Jim Ross, HBK and other legends of the business are constantly praising him for his ability, you know the guy is great.

• Like 1

CM Punk cuts the best promos in the company currently. The Miz isn't too far off. His ring abilities aren't the best, but at least he does well with his character. Not saying that these guys would have cut it in the Attitude Era, but they are FAR better than Orton and Cena, who are just stale.

I have a feeling that we're all in for a big disappointment, Vince is probably bringing back The Rock now to catch the interest of the older fans (which he did successfully) and keep Cena around as the face of the and franchise. Its a brilliant move financially but in the end Rock fans won't be getting too much but enough to keep them viewing till Wrestlemania. My prediction is that Cena beats Miz for the title with Rock helping Cena by taking out Alex Riley/Miz while they are in the midst of cheating. I honestly don't see Rock doing anything more than being a guest host and having a few promos like last night's.

Edited by Dash

Then why'd The Rock go to the extent of saying he's "home" and "not going anywhere" multiple times.

What's the point of having him cut down Miz and Cena if they won't meet in the ring.

He's said on his facebook page a few weeks ago that he is done wrestling, he feels he accomplished everything that he ever wanted in the WWF/E. I believe he said he would be interested in returning as a host and renaming Raw to Rock Raw (general manager?).

CM Punk is good, but his gimmick is terrible. The whole straight edge thing, and now his Nexus crew is just stupid. He is a good wrestler, but I don't think he could be the face of a show the way The Rock was.

As for Miz, he's just terrible. His mic skills are ok, he has some good lines, but overall he's a scrub. I still find it hard to see him holding the heavyweight title.

CM Punk is good, but his gimmick is terrible. The whole straight edge thing, and now his Nexus crew is just stupid. He is a good wrestler, but I don't think he could be the face of a show the way The Rock was.

As for Miz, he's just terrible. His mic skills are ok, he has some good lines, but overall he's a scrub. I still find it hard to see him holding the heavyweight title.

His gimmick is terrible because it is way too watered down due to the PG rating. He had the same gimmick back in ROH and other Indies and he was cutting some of the best promos because the company actually let him completely run with the gimmick instead of watering it down like the WWE.

Just because he can't be on the same level as arguably the best syuperstar in the history of wrestling doesn't mean that he would be a mid-carder or something like that. I'm not saying that he would be a Rock, Austin or Hogan type of figure, but I have no doubts in my mind that CM Punk would still be a huge superstar if he was around in the Attitude Era. He is just too talented not to be, and like I said before, I actually think that he would be even better in that Era because the PG thing holds him back.

• Like 1

I agree with love for CM Punk, guy is loaded with charisma and it shined through when he was the interim announcer. I haven't seen him much but he's always been a guy that i thought was good at what he does.

Not gonna lie, I even liked him when did that straight edge thing. The WWE gave him a crap heel role that everyone is supposed to despise and I still thought he was funny. I remember the right to censor they were just awful and annoying.

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

While the WWE has what I would consider an interesting amount of talent, it's more on the level of a prime Jeff Jarrett, who could piss the crowd off in a matter of seconds on the mic, and wrestle, but he wasn't that superstar that could carry the company.

CM Punk is just that. So is The Miz.

For decades, the WWF and WCW didn't go through a period of time where they didn't have The Rock, Hogan, Flair, Taker, Sting, SCSA, Goldberg and Lesnar, the NWO, D-X, HHH, HBK, Savage, Steamboat, Rude, Warrior...we'd have to dip far into history, even BEFORE the WWF was living off of Andre The Giant, Hogan, the Von Erich brothers, Tony Atlas, Iron Sheik, JYD, and Roddy Piper.

Right now, the meal ticket is John Cena, who is overrated on the mic and has little wrestling skills.

CM Punk could go back to his roots, given the freedom to say and do what he wants, but he's not a true superstar. Maybe in ECW or TNA, but no successful company can be built (or maintained) with him riding shotgun alongside someone like Vince.

• Owner

woah woah woah, back up my friend. CM Punk is THE best man in the business, to compare him to Jeff Jarrett is an insult

He could be the best in the business right now...doesn't mean much.

Jarrett held the WWF Intercontinental championship. He had some value to him.

He's either on Jarrett's level, or on Triple H's level. He's closer to Jarrett than Trips.

If I didn't know a single thing about CM Punk...never saw him on the mic, never seen him wrestle, never heard of him...and you showed me a few of his matches in the WWE, and a couple of instances with him on the mic, I'd assume he was in the Intercontinental division, fighting his way up the ladder. Just like Jarrett should've done his entire career.

And...I just read that CM Punk held the World championship three times, beating Jeff Hardy (2x) and Edge. LOL, seriously? Back when wrestling was exciting, Jeff Hardy was a tag champ, and so was Edge, and neither were good enough to contend for anything above the Intercontinental championship.

Running down the list for both titles, it gets more embarrassing as you scroll. The Miz, from MTV? JBL? Hardy? Mysterio? Come on, dude. The Rock's return proved just how bad it was. A Stone Cold return would've done the same thing. Same with Sting, despite him being out of his prime. Nexus? They are a worthless stable...probably good enough for an old Survivor Series match (and not even in the main event, if we're talking the 90s), but nothing lasting over one PPV night.

I guess I'm spoiled. CM Punk is the best in the business right now? That just means the WWE is on life support when compared to the 90s and 2000s.

• Owner

<_ i saw what you did there src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.gif" alt=":lol:">

I changed it while you were posting, haha, no joke. I wasn't specific enough...all my fault.

However...

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr160/fishbulb-suplex/Wrestlers/Jeff%20Jarrett/jarrett004.jpg

Still a champ, at one point. WCW, nonetheless, but it's Vince's belt, now.

I wouldn't say CM Punk is at level of Jeff Jarrett or Triple H. To be honest I think he's more like Chris Jericho. Lets face it he has the charisma to put him over no matter what. He's really gifted on the mic. He just reminds me of Jericho because both always lose to guys like Austin, Rock, HHH, Undertaker, etc. Same with Punk they wont put him over against Cena, Orton, Rey, Edge, etc.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say CM Punk is at level of Jeff Jarrett or Triple H. To be honest I think he's more like Chris Jericho. Lets face it he has the charisma to put him over no matter what. He's really gifted on the mic. He just reminds me of Jericho because both always lose to guys like Austin, Rock, HHH, Undertaker, etc. Same with Punk they wont put him over against Cena, Orton, Rey, Edge, etc.

:huh: Jericho > Jarrett, in fact possibly Jericho > HHH if you factor in Jericho's WCW years. Not to mention Jericho has more charisma in his pinky toe than Triple H has without a Shawn Michaels.

Exactly, pretty much took the words out of my mouth. The only thing holding Punk back is his look and size. You put Punk's mouth and wrestling skills on Randy Orton and you have one of the best of all-time. Punk would have been a borderline main eventer in any era, but his look and size would hold him back from being a consistent main event guy. It is why Batista was a huge draw, his look and size, despite Punk, and many others, being way more talented, Batista was the bigger star because of his credibility. What makes guys like Punk and Jericho so indispensable, is they can be put in a feud with anyone, or can win the title at any time, because their abilities as heels to get over maintain their credibility, despite their wins being few and far between.

Anyways, I agree the talent these days is 2nd rate (I disagree with Cena being overrated though). Back in the day you needed to be the complete package to get a main event push, but now guys who can't talk like Morrison or Ziggler get by on athleticism and match quality, or guys like Miz get by because they can talk but can't wrestle, or guys like Sheamus get by because they are big. WWE needs to give guys more freedom in their promos. Guys like Morrison or Ziggler could be huge stars if they could develop their characters into something that the fans buy into, but because they sound like they're reading off a script the fans don't buy into them. Morrison I think has limitless potential if he can develop a character, his promos just suck so badly.

Jericho is probably the greatest all-around wrestler ever in the business, easily a top 5 wrestler of all-time imo.