Knicks improve Melo offer

Guest N/A

Knicks Include Gallinari In Latest Offer For Carmelo

Feb 18, 2011 20:23 PM EST

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Gallinari_Danilo_nyk_091220.jpg

The Knicks have improved their offer to Denver for Carmelo Anthony.

New York is now putting Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry and a first round pick to Denver for Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups and salary cap filler.

The offer has been confirmed by Alan Hahn of Newsday, who added a source said "we kind of passed (our limit)".

The first-round pick has long been rumored to be coming from Minnesota, who would acquire Anthony Randolph.

Hahn reports that a third team is likely needed to get a deal finished because of Denver's need for luxury tax relief.

The Knicks are giving Denver a choice between Gallinari and Landry Fields and Denver prefers the former. New York is confident that its offer could get a trade finalized for Anthony soon.

ViaMarc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

Read more:http://basketball.re...o#ixzz1EMjA59tk[/font]

Edited by N/A

^Buy some kleenex you'll need it during Melo's Nets press conference.

TBH, I'm really not that excited about doing this trade. How awesome would it be if Melo still ended up screwing Denver over and leaving for nothing tho? :rofl: then who would need the kleenex?

Melo: "I would love to sit down... with Mr. Prokhorov... with whatever team that the Denver Nuggets want to send me to. I would love to sit down with them, look them in the eye and see what the future holds in that situation."

:)

I'd think the Denver Nuggets want to send Melo to New Jersey (Favors + 4 picks)... than Knicks (insert 5 role players here and 1 pick)

:)

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy

Donnie Walsh and Masai Uriji were on conference call, but their roles have diminished. Source says owners have stepped in to get this done.

30 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Alex Kennedy

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy

James Dolan and Josh Kroenke are extremely involved in these talks. One source went so far as to say that the owners are calling the shots.

:lol:

I don't think this is done.

Supposedly Walsh and D'Antoni are dead set against this deal , but is being pushed upon by owner James Dolan...and I agree, giving up 3/5 of you're starting five is just brutal. Two of those guys are still getting better and better each year, and Felton is a hard working, tough player who is a very good passer and has surprised a lot of people this year.

I'd be shocked if this happens.

I could definitely see Felton and Chandler or Gallo and Felton or Gallo and Chandler but all three? I don't think the Knicks are parting ways with all three. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by JYD

at the end of the day, I bite the bullet and make the deal. I thought we'd have to give up Fields originally, so I was strongly against the trade, but knowing it's just Chandler puts things at ease.

Chandler and Curry probably wouldn't have been back with us next year anyway, so it's really just Gallo, Felton, and a first for Melo.

we still have a great starting lineup:

Billups

Fields

Melo

Amare

Mozgov

plus, we'd still have enough to sign a big time free agent (I think).

Felton's been great for us this year, but I don't think he was ever in our long-tern plans. Gallo's become somewhat of a fan favorite, but he's never going to be a real star in this league. those guys for Melo, a Brooklyn native and top ten player in the game - it's worth it to me.

at the end of the day, I bite the bullet and make the deal. I thought we'd have to give up Fields originally, so I was strongly against the trade, but knowing it's just Chandler puts things at ease.

Chandler and Curry probably wouldn't have been back with us next year anyway, so it's really just Gallo, Felton, and a first for Melo.

we still have a great starting lineup:

Billups

Fields

Melo

Amare

Mozgov

plus, we'd still have enough to sign a big time free agent (I think).

Felton's been great for us this year, but I don't think he was ever in our long-tern plans. Gallo's become somewhat of a fan favorite, but he's never going to be a real star in this league. those guys for Melo, a Brooklyn native and top ten player in the game - it's worth it to me.

Losing Chandler still hurts, we could have signed and dealt him next year or even kept him. Stop acting like we are 'just'' giving up players. Gallo can be a star scorer, and Wilson has developed into what can be a great role playing starter on a championship team. Put him on the Lakers and see what happens.

Why can't Gallo be a star? He was absolutely perfect for D'antoni's system. No reason he couldn't be a 20/5 guy and a solid defender.

And Chandler probably would've been resigned. He supposedly loved playing in NY, and Walsh said he was determined to keep him.

Felton is way better than Billups for the Knicks current system. Billups, especially at his age, is a much better half-court style PG than he is running the break and pushing the ball. Not to mention Felton is a better passer and has built up a great rapport with STAT.

IDK, I still think we're giving up too much for Carmelo. If it were LeBron or Kobe (in his prime) I'd be like OK, do it NOW. But Carmelo is a good player, but he isn't great. I hope he proves me wrong if we get him. I enjoy watching him play. I'll be excited to watch him play. But do I think he's great? Nope. I think he's good. A great scorer, but he doesn't do much else well.

If the Knicks were smart they'd wait for free agency and sign Melo. If he wants to go there and win, he would sign with them in the offseason and the team wouldn't lose anyone......if you have to do this to get Melo, just go in a different direction, because if he really wants to go there, he should just play out this season with Denver and sign with the Knicks. He's gonna make millions....so if I were him I wouldn't care about the contract...

Losing Chandler still hurts, we could have signed and dealt him next year or even kept him. Stop acting like we are 'just'' giving up players. Gallo can be a star scorer, and Wilson has developed into what can be a great role playing starter on a championship team. Put him on the Lakers and see what happens.

but Melo's far superior to Chandler. Wilson's a good player, but a star by no means. if it takes Chandler and Gallo to get Melo for three and a half plus years, i'm making the deal. Felton's the one that hurts the most, but I have a strong feeling that if we get Melo, we'll have a great chance at CP3 or D-Will next summer anyway. besides, this is a career year for Felton. I don't think he'll ever give us something better.

If the Knicks were smart they'd wait for free agency and sign Melo. If he wants to go there and win, he would sign with them in the offseason and the team wouldn't lose anyone......if you have to do this to get Melo, just go in a different direction, because if he really wants to go there, he should just play out this season with Denver and sign with the Knicks. He's gonna make millions....so if I were him I wouldn't care about the contract...

In a perfect world, that's ideal.....but then when you lose him to the Nets, or let's say he even gets convinced to sign in Denver, you're still missing out a superstar in his prime...then you're really depending on Chandler, Gallo, Fields to step up over the next 2 or 3 seasons and be much better than anticipated.

So it's really a tough call. At this point I can see both sides; still leaning towards not doing the deal if I were the Knicks GM.

Why can't Gallo be a star? He was absolutely perfect for D'antoni's system. No reason he couldn't be a 20/5 guy and a solid defender.

pure shooters never really become stars. I don't see what he brings to the table besides some shooting/scoring. he's not a great passer, he's a less effective rebounder than some of our guards, and he's nothing special defensively. I certainly wouldn't let him get in the way of acquiring Melo.

And Chandler probably would've been resigned. He supposedly loved playing in NY, and Walsh said he was determined to keep him.

Chandler's a good player, but I'd much rather Melo be starting for us at the three for the next several years.

if Wilson loves NY as much as he says, maybe he signs back with us in the offseason. that's doubtful, though, as he could probably get more money and minutes elsewhere.

Felton is way better than Billups for the Knicks current system. Billups, especially at his age, is a much better half-court style PG than he is running the break and pushing the ball. Not to mention Felton is a better passer and has built up a great rapport with STAT.

I completely agree, but it sounds like Denver refuses to make a deal unless we include Felton. I don't want Billups here, honestly. he'll probably just be a half-season rental. if we must trade Felton, I say we cut our losses and go hard after CP3 and D-Will next summer.

IDK, I still think we're giving up too much for Carmelo. If it were LeBron or Kobe (in his prime) I'd be like OK, do it NOW. But Carmelo is a good player, but he isn't great. I hope he proves me wrong if we get him. I enjoy watching him play. I'll be excited to watch him play. But do I think he's great? Nope. I think he's good. A great scorer, but he doesn't do much else well.

man, how you gonna say he's not great? he's a top ten player in the game.

he's one of the best scorers in the game (some analysts say he's the best pure scorer out there), he's probably the most clutch there is in the game today, he rebounds about as well as Chandler and Gallo combined, and he's a decent passer. the best part about Melo is that he can get you from anywhere. he can shoot the three, pull up from mid-range, or just take it to the hoop. he can score from anywhere on the floor and I think he'd be extra dangerous with Amare. I don't think he's ever played with anyone as good as Stat.

Just make the trade and put the drama behind us. I'd miss Gallo more than any of the others, Denver will absolutely LOVE this kid moving forward if the deal goes through.

lol @ anyone calling this "three role players". I shake my head at you VIGOROUSLY! You will be liable for my visit to the chiropractor.

pure shooters never really become stars. I don't see what he brings to the table besides some shooting/scoring. he's not a great passer, he's a less effective rebounder than some of our guards, and he's nothing special defensively. I certainly wouldn't let him get in the way of acquiring Melo.

Chandler's a good player, but I'd much rather Melo be starting for us at the three for the next several years.

if Wilson loves NY as much as he says, maybe he signs back with us in the offseason. that's doubtful, though, as he could probably get more money and minutes elsewhere.

I completely agree, but it sounds like Denver refuses to make a deal unless we include Felton. I don't want Billups here, honestly. he'll probably just be a half-season rental. if we must trade Felton, I say we cut our losses and go hard after CP3 and D-Will next summer.

man, how you gonna say he's not great? he's a top ten player in the game.

he's one of the best scorers in the game (some analysts say he's the best pure scorer out there), he's probably the most clutch there is in the game today, he rebounds about as well as Chandler and Gallo combined, and he's a decent passer. the best part about Melo is that he can get you from anywhere. he can shoot the three, pull up from mid-range, or just take it to the hoop. he can score from anywhere on the floor and I think he'd be extra dangerous with Amare. I don't think he's ever played with anyone as good as Stat.

You raise good points, but one thing is that Gallo is a better defender than people give him credit for. Shutdown? No. But he's pretty good defensively.

As far as Melo, yes he's a very good scorer, but he isn't a great rebounder, and I was watching Nugs games the past few weeks and he doesn't pass very often. His game will have to change a bit with Stoudemire. How will they play together? I don't see their games flowing together well at all...both obviously like to be "the man."

You raise good points, but one thing is that Gallo is a better defender than people give him credit for. Shutdown? No. But he's pretty good defensively.

agreed, but this is a star's league. Gallo isn't the guy who'll make us a champion. there's just a small handful of true superstars in this league and it's hard to ever get any of them. guys like Kobe, Durant, LeBron, and Wade obviously aren't going anywhere for the next several years, so Melo is really our only hope. besides CP3 or D-Will, I can't think of any superstar we'd realistically be able to get besides Melo. guys like Gallo and Chandler aren't going to take us to the promised land, and since we already spent all that money on Amare, we might as well go for the gold while we still have the chance. this move would give us two superstars, something that's pretty much essential in winning a title anymore.

As far as Melo, yes he's a very good scorer, but he isn't a great rebounder, and I was watching Nugs games the past few weeks and he doesn't pass very often.

well, if we get CP3 next summer, that won't be much of a problem anymore lol. I think getting Melo would drastically improve our chances of signing Paul in 2012. if Chris really cares about winning, he'd go to New York and play with his friends Melo and Amare. if we can't get him, we'll have to find a true passer somewhere.

His game will have to change a bit with Stoudemire. How will they play together? I don't see their games flowing together well at all...both obviously like to be "the man."

I think they'd play great together. Amare can post up, but he can also knock down that mid-range jumper. combining his offensive game with Melo's would give us two great scorers who could knock it down from just about anywhere. we'd have an inside presence as well as an elite perimeter threat. we'd also have some added size with Mozgov starting and Fields and Billups would pick up all the slack. I think that starting lineup would be great.

agreed, but this is a star's league. Gallo isn't the guy who'll make us a champion. there's just a small handful of true superstars in this league and it's hard to ever get any of them. guys like Kobe, Durant, LeBron, and Wade obviously aren't going anywhere for the next several years, so Melo is really our only hope. besides CP3 or D-Will, I can't think of any superstar we'd realistically be able to get besides Melo. guys like Gallo and Chandler aren't going to take us to the promised land, and since we already spent all that money on Amare, we might as well go for the gold while we still have the chance. this move would give us two superstars, something that's pretty much essential in winning a title anymore.

I think they'd play great together. Amare can post up, but he can also knock down that mid-range jumper. combining his offensive game with Melo's would give us two great scorers who could knock it down from just about anywhere. we'd have an inside presence as well as an elite perimeter threat. we'd also have some added size with Mozgov starting and Fields and Billups would pick up all the slack. I think that starting lineup would be great.

I agree with the first part for the most part. That's basically the logic behind them. I guess it's just hard for me to personally, as stupid as this may sound, to part with Chandler Felton and Gallo. I've really come to enjoy watching these guy fight and scrap for every win. They play so hard....something I can't always say about all Knick players in the past decade.

Hopefully something with this situation gets resolved soon.....either the Knicks just trade for him or don't.....lol.

I agree with the first part for the most part. That's basically the logic behind them. I guess it's just hard for me to personally, as stupid as this may sound, to part with Chandler Felton and Gallo. I've really come to enjoy watching these guy fight and scrap for every win. They play so hard....something I can't always say about all Knick players in the past decade.

lol it's not stupid. it's hard to see guys who play hard for your team just get traded all of a sudden. I was never personally that big a fan of Gallo or Chandler, but I would be depressed if I saw Fields going in this deal lol.

Edited by HOV