Was the dunk contest fixed?

The Regime

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say yes based on Ibaka's dunk from the FT line which got him a 45, MJ went a little over the line while Ibaka didnt and considering he is almost 7 feet that should have EASILY been a 50. I also agree that Derozan's dunks werent scored as high as they should of been, but we all knew Griffin was going to win this since most of the fans were going to vote for him no matter what he did. Oh well, McGee will win it next year.

If they just get rid of fan voting, everything will be ok. Leave it up to the judges..

I agree, but Griffin had a terrible windmill which the Judges gave him a higher score than Ibaka for.

Wasn't the fans fault there...

Of course it was fixed, but its fixed pretty much every year. Prime example 2006 Slam Dunk contest we all know Iggy got robbed. And based on the people that were in it people were automatically going to choose Blake even though most of the dunks were good. Ibake desvered a 50 for the free throw line dunk since he actually dunked further than MJ and Dr.J and DeRozan dunk was nice too the bounce of the ground MJ kind of dunk. Blake had some nice dunks aswell but the dunk over the car was pointless, too much hype just for a two handed tomahawk over the front of the car. McGee sort of surprised me I knew he had hops but he did better than what I expected. Didn't really do anything flashy but most of his dunks were very impressive.

Edited by htownborn

of course, use your brain and quit being so gullible. A car, an opera, all for the last dunk? A lot of $$ and bling bling right there. Was also said before the game a car would be used? And just so happened to be for the final dunk? plzzz lmao who do they think they r fooling? All pro sports r rigged, whether or not you're willing to admit its true is up to you.

Dude shouldn't even have been in the finals. He was the worst out of the 4 but his hype machine is unreal. People are on his nuts because he plays in LA. DeRozan's second dunk was absurd.

Ibaka definitely got robbed nasty. Dr. J looked pretty bitter after the dunk because it makes his look more overrated than it already was.

Of course it was fixed, but its fixed pretty much every year. Prime example 2006 Slam Dunk contest we all know Iggy got robbed. And based on the people that were in it people were automatically going to choose Blake even though most of the dunks were good. Ibake desvered a 50 for the free throw line dunk since he actually dunked further than MJ and Dr.J and DeRozan dunk was nice too the bounce of the ground MJ kind of dunk. Blake had some nice dunks aswell but the dunk over the car was pointless, too much hype just for a two handed tomahawk over the front of the car. McGee sort of surprised me I knew he had hops but he did better than what I expected. Didn't really do anything flashy but most of his dunks were very impressive.

i think mcgee attempted the hardest dunks in terms of difficulty, except for that last one, but he said ibaka already did what he was gonna do so ill let that one slide

Why does fan voting start before the finalists even dunk? Obviously then Griffin will get a head start just because of his name. And the commentators rode his dick so hard, like everyone else. I like Blake, and he is going to be a superstar for many years to come, but now the way people are riding him, it's getting kind of annoying. Even with a lay-up, he would have won.

The dunk contest is more of presentation and showman skills now days rather than an actual dunk. and now adding "coaches"? What the [expletive]? I felt like I was watching WWE.

I voted no...but it did seem quite biased but I don't think it was actually 'fixed' I just feel like people are in love with Griffin. Maybe cuz he's another light skinned [expletive]a...they love us lmao

• Owner

Uh, first of all, Jordan jumped from the line the first time he performed it. Everyone was wrong. I believe it was 1985 (Dominique won). He put down a piece of tape before he jumped, and his toe was behind it. Let's go ahead and make that clear.

Dunks are judged on originality. He has done a dunk that Erving, Jordan, Brent Barry and even Pippen (and others, in other dunk contests) have done in a dunk contest before, and Jordan did it three times (two for the win).

James White dunked from the free throw line...while putting the ball under his leg.

Blake's first dunk wasn't an ordinary 360. Watch the replay. He took off, one-footed, and did a Statue of Liberty dunk...but with two hands. It was a full, complete 360 off of one foot, which is very tough to do. Most 360 dunks don't start with the player facing the basket, jumping off one foot, and THEN spinning in-air.

And not very many are willing to jump over a car, because if your foot catches part of the hood, you're done. You break your arm or shoulder. Considering the fact that the pass was even low, it was a great dunk. He could've jumped over the roof, if he really wanted to.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180684_10150093679410924_194822060923_6458049_3749401_n.jpg

DeRozan had one good dunk. Nothing special about the first one.

Ibaka's second dunk was unique. I would've given him a 47 from the free throw line, and a 47 for the stuffed animal, leaving him tied with DeRozan at the end of the first round.

McGee's three-basketball dunk wasn't that impressive. Wall basically shot the ball in. The first one was AMAZING (double dunk), given the fact that he bounced the ball off the first backboard before dunking either of them. That catch and finish from his right hand was insane.

------------

Overall, McGee would've had a much better chance if he kept the double-dunk for the final round...but it's a mistake a lot of players have made over the years, and they pay for it. McGee's double-dunk may have been the best in the contest, but he screwed up with that final dunk...nothing impressive about it, and it ended the contest. The Jordan dunk was crazy, but you can't go out with what he did.

• Like 1

Overall, McGee would've had a much better chance if he kept the double-dunk for the final round...but it's a mistake a lot of players have made over the years, and they pay for it. McGee's double-dunk may have been the best in the contest, but he screwed up with that final dunk...nothing impressive about it, and it ended the contest. The Jordan dunk was crazy, but you can't go out with what he did.

He was planning on saving the three ball dunk for last, but was forced to use it early on because Serge Ibaka had done the stuffed animal dunk which was much too similar to one of his ideas. That threw off his gameplan big time, and had to think on the spot with his last dunk.

• Owner

He was planning on saving the three ball dunk for last, but was forced to use it early on because Serge Ibaka had done the stuffed animal dunk which was much too similar to one of his ideas. That threw off his gameplan big time, and had to think on the spot with his last dunk.

The three-ball dunk wouldn't have been the one to go out on, either. He should've kept the Jordan dunk (third one) and added the double dunk to end the contest. Those two in the final round would've been pretty sick.

He decided he wasn't even going to attempt the Vince reverse 360 windmill again. That was another mistake.

• Owner

By the way, word was that Ibaka's free throw dunk was the one McGee wanted to do. He has attempted it twice during the season, and I read the other day that he was planning on using it in the contest, and doing it in practice.

By the way, word was that Ibaka's free throw dunk was the one McGee wanted to do. He has attempted it twice during the season, and I read the other day that he was planning on using it in the contest, and doing it in practice.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2011/02/20/SOTJaValeMcGeepostdunkswebmov-1564431/index.html

Here's the dunk he wanted to do:

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2011/2/18/2001133/nba-slam-dunk-contest-2011-javale-mcgee