Was the dunk contest fixed?

The Regime

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DeRozan had one good dunk. Nothing special about the first one.

There wasn't anything special about it, but how can you tell me that Griffin's second dunk was better than DeRozan's first? DeRozan's was more difficult and he completed it in less attempts than Griffin who took about 1:40 to actually get one down, and yet Griffin got the higher score. Are you really trying to say tell me that Griffin deserved a 10 for his 2nd dunk in the first round, especially after DeRozan did basically the exact same dunk in last years contest?

I'm not saying that it was rigged or anything like that, but anybody who thinks that the NBA wasn't ultimately pulling for Griffin is delusional. It was pretty clear that they wanted him to win. This entire weekend has basically been all about him.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't have any problems with Griffin winning this, either. I think I posted that in the other thread.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

There wasn't anything special about it, but how can you tell me that Griffin's second dunk was better than DeRozan's first? DeRozan's was more difficult and he completed it in less attempts than Griffin who took about 1:40 to actually get one down, and yet Griffin got the higher score. Are you really trying to say tell me that Griffin deserved a 10 for his 2nd dunk in the first round, especially after DeRozan did basically the exact same dunk in last years contest?

I'm not saying that it was rigged or anything like that, but anybody who thinks that the NBA wasn't ultimately pulling for Griffin is delusional. It was pretty clear that they wanted him to win. This entire weekend has basically been all about him.

They should've gotten the same score on it, and DeRozan should've gotten a 48 for his second dunk (that wasn't a 50). I can run through Jordan's two dunk contests and give you a handful of dunks that were better than DeMar's second dunk, and I can also show you a few that were better from J-Rich and Desmond Mason.

Technically, DeRozan should've been in the finals, because McGee's three-ball dunk should've been a "no-dunk" due to hanging on the rim (they mentioned the rules on that a few years back)...sort of like if Blake had decided to jump off the car, they wouldn't have let him because it's assistance.

However, that's just how it is. I think the other three are lucky that Griffin didn't make his first two dunks on the first try, because both would've went down in history as top 5-6 dunks in the contest, especially the first one.

No I certainly do not believe that it was fixed... It's true that Blake Griffin's dunks were not that great but the reason why he won was because the fans overhype him.

Besides, as I said in another post, we cannot say that he didn't deserve it at the same time. It's not like his opponents dunks were amazing or anything... I believe that all the dunkers this year would have deserved to win it. They all had nice dunks, none of them did anything amazing that would have made him a clear winner. That's why I'm perfectly fine with the result.

Also it is clear that the NBA dunk contest is now more of a show than a real contest, so it is definitely not a big deal anyhow.

Edited by Oliver P

All I can say is I am just happy that these guys came with it last night. After last years horrible performances it's good to see that these guys still care to keep this contest alive. I think it would have been a crazy good contest if most of the dunkers connected the first time around, really would have set the place off even more.

I loved the creativity and imagination put into each dunk. The dunks were not incredible but the fact that they got coaches, they set up "stories" at times and that they just put an effort really pleased me, after all this is the cherry on top for the entire night.

I still think the judges are just awful at scoring these dunks, and I think the fan vote is a ridiculously bad idea.

• Like 2

Call me a homer but I thought Derozan should have been in the finals, Griffin's dunk off the side of the backboard should have been like a 40. Sucks we didn't get to see the chicken wing dunk.

EDIT: They should just bring all these guys back next year. They have everyone talking and they all seemed really into it.

Edited by Check my Stats

they need more shorter people 6ft to about 6'7...dunks just look better, big men make really hard dunks look easy because they dont have to jump as high to reach the rim

like dwight howard doing his own version of iguodala's behind the backboard dunk...it looked way easier for him

edit: speakin of iguodala, every dunk contest i get bitter memories of him gettin robbed lol

Edited by Clutch

we should all write to nba.com and ask to eliminate all props from now on, and give no more than 3 attempts per dunk - no more coaches either -- a ball a dunker, and a net..keep it simple, these guys are already ridiculously athletic, they dont need to do all that extra stuff to get us excited...just do an impressive dunk

and STOP letting fans vote for the winner, fans voting for the winner are worse than the wack judges that already exist in every dunk contest, ild rather an nba legend give a bad score than thousands of ignorant fans voting for a guy because they actually knew his name

First of all, Derozan got it on his first attempt which is a big part of the grade for me (he gets his first dunk first try last night and he probably gets close to a 50). Second, the pass for Derozan's was better/more difficult with Sonny moving which I think should credit the score. Third, Derozan took the windmill to the middle of the basket as opposed to Griffin who slammed it on the near side. If you are going to take someone else's dunk, it would be nice if you did it better than them.

Sorry but that dunk Blake did was a dunk that any guy in the competition could do as long as the pass is on target, and for that, you get a solid 40 in my opinion.

This competition was over before it started. At least everyone showed up, bring them all back next year.

• Like 1

• Owner

First of all, Derozan got it on his first attempt which is a big part of the grade for me (he gets his first dunk first try last night and he probably gets close to a 50). Second, the pass for Derozan's was better/more difficult with Sonny moving which I think should credit the score. Third, Derozan took the windmill to the middle of the basket as opposed to Griffin who slammed it on the near side. If you are going to take someone else's dunk, it would be nice if you did it better than them.

Sorry but that dunk Blake did was a dunk that any guy in the competition could do as long as the pass is on target, and for that, you get a solid 40 in my opinion.

This competition was over before it started. At least everyone showed up, bring them all back next year.

Baron Davis screwed the pass up 3-4 times. The first and second attempt, Blake was going for a different dunk...but okay.

And Griffin's dunk looked far better. DeRozan took the windmill to the center? He barely did the windmill.

You don't drop a guy 10 points like that. A 40 would be ridiculous. DeRozan didn't even deserve a 50 for it last season, because Iggy would've made it look five times better.

I knew people would be sour about it, though. People are pissed he's in the all-star game, they are pissed he's dunking on their guys, and they are pissed because he won the dunk contest. You guys are going to be pissed off for a long time.

I honestly don't give a shit.

People complained the dunk contest was boring. People complained everything was similar. So we get a quality dunk contest, one that was exciting and eally enjoyable to watch, but people can't enjoy it because they're too busy bieng upset because it's too mainstream to like Blake Griffin.

I wouldn't have cared if they decided to award Derek Fisher the title of '2011 Dunk Contest Champion', I was just enjoying watching a contest that wasn't boring.