Who is the most overrated player in the NBA?

Guest N/A

• Owner

Does that make him overrated though? The guy has been severely underrated his whole career and has never received the attention he deserved. At least he is more of an all-star than Shaq was in the last years he was making it. I think part of it is his team's record and he is still the leader of that team.

He has deserved enough attention from those who actually know their basketball. Duncan has been the greatest PF to ever play the game for years, surpassing Karl Malone (despite the numbers saying otherwise).

There are two players on the Spurs that are better right now, and it's Ginobili and Parker. They are playing with more energy, putting up the numbers and contributing to these wins, and it's only ironic that the Spurs are having their finest season to date with Duncan playing the lowest minutes of his career, averaging the least amount of points and boards, shooting nearly the worst percentage from the floor.

I feel like the most overrated player is Chris Bosh. He was never a particularly great defender, and he's pretty average on offense compared to other guys at his position IMO.

Dirk, Gasol, Garnett, and LaMarcus Aldridge impress me more than Bosh does. Bosh is a good player, but he doesn't deserve the same type of praise as his two superstar teammates.

It is pretty disgusting how some people are acting like Duncan is playing like a scrub this year. He isn't 28 anymore, he can't log those huge minutes (while he probably can, but why would you make him?). How about the fact that his per 36 numbers are still 17 PPG, 11.5 RPG and 2.5 BPG and just under 4 APG, which overall demolishes a player like Pau Gasol especially considering he is on the team with the best record in the NBA. Are his stats down? Yeah, of course they are, he's shooting the ball 11 times a game now instead of 15 and is playing 1 more minute than GEORGE HILL . Tim Duncan isn't as effective as he was 10 years ago, of course not, but he is still an all-star caliber big man, it's not like he is Jermaine O'Neal or something crazy shooting 43% of something, his entire career save a couple years, he has shot nearly 50% give or take either way just like now. If Kevin Garnett is a shoe in all-star, then so is Tim Duncan.

I have no problem giving a player like Duncan, who is still effective in the time he is on the floor. I also have no problem letting all-time greats still get recognition even in their decline.

Anyways, this conversation begins and ends (again) with Kevin Durant. Chris Bosh is overrated? He is what he is, if you thought he was a superstar that's your own fault. He was a 24-11 big man last year and we were a playoff team until he goes down (5th seed pretty sure), and our cast was nothing to write home about. He is not overrated, if anything, at this point, he is underrated.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 1

Lol, be ready for the rabid stans about to descend on you.

Yeah, Real Deal is about to drop 4 paragraphs of stats mixed in with some opinion.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Yeah, Real Deal is about to drop 4 paragraphs of stats mixed in with some opinion.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I think Jordan is only far above everyone else because he was "the man" his entire career for the most part and was much more efficient than Kobe. Kobe wasn't "the man" until Shaq left.

Kevin Durant is overrated. He isn't a good defender yet and doesn't make his teammates around him better, but he's still very young. I just don't think he's with in the same category as Bryant, James, and Wade, yet. Currently, I don't think he's even better than Carmelo.

I'd have to go with David Lee. he had that one good offensive year in D'Antoni's system last season, and the Warriors get a hard on. they ended up paying him $80M. great job - get rid of Randolph, Turiaf, and Azubuike so that you can pay Lee for the next six years. that never gets old - no defense, messed up elbow, and he's not even that great offensively.

I think Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay got max deals this summer too. no way they're worth that much.

seems like the whole site's hating on Bosh now. it's just an off-year, fellas. he'll be dominating next year.

It is pretty disgusting how some people are acting like Duncan is playing like a scrub this year. He isn't 28 anymore, he can't log those huge minutes (while he probably can, but why would you make him?). How about the fact that his per 36 numbers are still 17 PPG, 11.5 RPG and 2.5 BPG and just under 4 APG, which overall demolishes a player like Pau Gasol especially considering he is on the team with the best record in the NBA. Are his stats down? Yeah, of course they are, he's shooting the ball 11 times a game now instead of 15 and is playing 1 more minute than GEORGE HILL . Tim Duncan isn't as effective as he was 10 years ago, of course not, but he is still an all-star caliber big man, it's not like he is Jermaine O'Neal or something crazy shooting 43% of something, his entire career save a couple years, he has shot nearly 50% give or take either way just like now. If Kevin Garnett is a shoe in all-star, then so is Tim Duncan.

I have no problem giving a player like Duncan, who is still effective in the time he is on the floor. I also have no problem letting all-time greats still get recognition even in their decline.

Anyways, this conversation begins and ends (again) with Kevin Durant. Chris Bosh is overrated? He is what he is, if you thought he was a superstar that's your own fault. He was a 24-11 big man last year and we were a playoff team until he goes down (5th seed pretty sure), and our cast was nothing to write home about. He is not overrated, if anything, at this point, he is underrated.

Thank you. I have watched Duncan all 56 games so far this year and that's probably 50 more games than anyone else on this board. Has he lost a step? Yes he has, but he is still playing really good basketball (especially on defense). Tim Duncan if needed to could still put up 18/10 a night and mark my words you will see his numbers rise in the 2nd half of the season and even more so in the playoffs. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on it. (sorry for the long run on sentences I'm driving).

Shaq has/had great number per 36 this year and last year too, is he still a dominant big man, should be starting in NBA All Star Game? No, the fact is Tim Duncan isn't a top PF anymore BECAUSE he can't log the minutes, not because he doesn't have the talent. He's still mr.fundamental can take a game over, great defender, great passer. However he can't play 36 MPG so instead a team has to play an Antonio McDyess for 20 mpg, instead of 12 mpg. Duncan is the greatest PF of all time, and still is one of, if not the most talented big man. But if he can't play 36 mpg, then he doesn't have as a big an impact, therefore he's not as good.

Rashard Lewis. Enough said

Who? :lol:

Let us all not forget that Rudy Gay got a max contract in the offseason as well.

These small market teams had to overpay just so their All-Star caliber players would stay on their teams.

This doesn't mean they're superstars, it just means they're overpaid.

Memphis over payed Rudy Gay on their own, they didn't have to give him 84 mil, they just had to match or top any offer made, or they could have just took his qualifying offer. Atlanta is a small market? They have a bigger market than Miami :lol: Who else over paid to keep their players? Raptors? But Amir is living up to it and he's not an all-star? Dirk? Nah, he's worth it. Who got over paid beside Gay?

Edited by fish7718

#1 New York, NY 15,340,000

#2 Los Angeles, CA 10,609,200

#3 Chicago, IL 7,612,100

#4 San Francisco, CA 6,012,000

#5 Dallas, TX 4,576,700

#6 Philadelphia, PA 4,291,700

#7 Houston, TX 4,165,000

#8 Washington, DC 4,041,300

#9 Boston, MA 3,888,800

#10 Detroit, MI 3,859,700

#11 Atlanta, GA 3,750,700

#12 Miami, FL 3,489,800

Shaq has/had great number per 36 this year and last year too, is he still a dominant big man, should be starting in NBA All Star Game? No, the fact is Tim Duncan isn't a top PF anymore BECAUSE he can't log the minutes, not because he doesn't have the talent. He's still mr.fundamental can take a game over, great defender, great passer. However he can't play 36 MPG so instead a team has to play an Antonio McDyess for 20 mpg, instead of 12 mpg. Duncan is the greatest PF of all time, and still is one of, if not the most talented big man. But if he can't play 36 mpg, then he doesn't have as a big an impact, therefore he's not as good.

I don't think it's really fair to see he CAN'T or is UNABLE to play 36 minutes a game. Duncan has been able to log around 34 minutes each year until last year while only missing a handful of games. The reason he doesn't play the minutes, I believe, is because he doesn't have to. Would the Celtics play Allen and Pierce 35 minutes if they had a player like Rip on the bench? I am sure if the Spurs were hovering around .500, Duncan would be playing more minutes because he'd have to.

People thought Duncan fell off last year, then he averaged 20 and 10 on 50% and we were realizing he is still one of the best bigs around, he also logged 37 minutes a game, kind of debunking the fact he is unable to log those minutes, he just doesn't.

Also in reference to Shaq, per 36 he would be averaging 5.8 fouls a game, and less than 10 boards. I don't typically like using the per 36, but for a player like Duncan who plays less as a result of his coach, I am okay with it holding some weight.

• Owner

Duncan is overrated because he made it into the ASG over Steve Nash (among other reasons, just an example), a guy that is playing less minutes, but STILL put up similar numbers (some better) as his MVP season. And this time around, there's no excuse...the Suns aren't great, but they sure aren't the Wolves, and today, Duncan is the third best player on the Spurs. He may play well in significant minutes (although he's shooting the ball worse than ever), but it's obvious who the two driving forces are on that team, and the Spurs have changed their offense, going inside to TD much less than they used to, which is converting into one of the best seasons they've ever had.

Not only do the numbers say it, but the lack of playing time says it, the change in offense, just sitting there and watching them...I don't see how someone can't tell that Tim Duncan has regressed. If you think he's doing it on purpose, so what? It doesn't change the fact that he's not playing at an all-star level.