Hawks pursuing Devin Harris?

Cobb

Los Angeles–It seems Hawks GM Rick Sund has cast a wide net in the team’s search for a bona fide point guard.

In addition to Cleveland’s Ramon Sessions, the Hawks also have inquired about New Jersey’s Devin Harris. Those discussions could pick up now that Harris won’t be going to Denver as part of a deal for ‘Melo, who was traded to the Knicks tonight.

Harris, who turns 27 28 on Sunday, would meet Atlanta’s desire for a capable defender who also can push the pace and create shots for others. But he makes $9.3 million in 2011-12, and adding his salary to the roughly $65 million Atlanta has committed for next season would push Atlanta’s payroll above the current luxury-tax threshold (which could change in the new CBA). Harris also is owed $8.5 million in 2012-13.

It’s not clear whom the Hawks would offer for Harris. Jamal Crawford seems to be the obvious candidate because his expiring $10.1 million contract would allow the Nets to carve out even more cap space for next season–they have just $37 million in committed salaries. Also, the Nets are said to be one of the teams interesting in signing Crawford if he becomes a free agent this summer. But so far there’s been no indication that Sund is looking to move Crawford.

Whether we actually make a move at him or not, I want to see the Hawks actually do SOMETHING. If nothing gets done, we're going to fall even more behind considering the Knicks have Carmelo now. We really have to make a move to acquire a legit PG.

:drinks: to hoping it's a wild one, for the Hawks at least.

I read the Hawks are either going to acquire Sessions, Harris, or Felton.

Of course, I read this about the Blazers as well, but we'll see...

I was gonna say that this transfer window seemed very quiet...not anymore. :lol:

Hawks definitely need a quality PG, that's no secret. If they can achieve that without giving up anyone significant, they are definitely a top 4 seed in my mind.

I read the Hawks are either going to acquire Sessions, Harris, or Felton.

Of course, I read this about the Blazers as well, but we'll see...

Yeah, I've read those as well. Too bad we're most likely going to stand put with the team we've got now. However, maybe Sund will wake up now that Carmelo is a Knick. Hell, the Knicks will probably move on up to the #5 seed before the season is done with considering how tough our schedule in March is.

Yeah, I've read those as well. Too bad we're most likely going to stand put with the team we've got now. However, maybe Sund will wake up now that Carmelo is a Knick. Hell, the Knicks will probably move on up to the #5 seed before the season is done with considering how tough our schedule in March is.

I believe the Hawks will make a move, although Joe Johnson said he didn't want them to.

I was gonna say that this transfer window seemed very quiet...not anymore. :lol:

Hawks definitely need a quality PG, that's no secret. If they can achieve that without giving up anyone significant, they are definitely a top 4 seed in my mind.

That's the problem. We'd have to give up something pretty big in order to bring in a guy with Harris' salary.

I believe the Hawks will make a move, although Joe Johnson said he didn't want them to.

Yeah, but what else can he say? If he said something along the lines of "We suck. If we don't make a move we're going to be dead in the water," that would cause chaos in and out of the locker room. I don't think anyone can conclude anything from his statement. Maybe that's just me though.

Yeah, but what else can he say? If he said something along the lines of "We suck. If we don't make a move we're going to be dead in the water," that would cause chaos in and out of the locker room. I don't think anyone can conclude anything from his statement. Maybe that's just me though.

Yeah, I agree, but who really knows behind the scenes.

Just read of what Portland was offering for Harris. (Pryzbilla and Miller)

Unless the ASG is willing to pay some luxary tax next season by offering Crawford for Harris, I don't see us getting Harris. We just don't have the assets to compete with Portland's deal.

Harris isn't what the Hawks need.

He's exactly what we need. The guy is fast, can distribute well, has good size for a PG, and he can play defense. Not to mention he is only 28 with a very reasonable contract.

Let's face it, the Hawks are most likely going to lose Jamal Crawford in the offseason anyways since he'll be wanting too much money. Mine as well try to ship him out for something.

I think Harris would fit in perfectly.

He's exactly what we need. The guy is fast, can distribute well, has good size for a PG, and he can play defense. Not to mention he is only 28 with a very reasonable contract.

Let's face it, the Hawks are most likely going to lose Jamal Crawford in the offseason anyways since he'll be wanting too much money. Mine as well try to ship him out for something.

I think Harris would fit in perfectly.

9 mill a year is very reasonable?