Bulls trade Johnson to Raptors

Gooner

He's not a bad player but I was expecting A BIT BETTER of a trade :(

What exactly did you think the Raptors would get for what is likely to be the 26th-30th pick in a terrible draft? They got a mediocore prospect for a third rate pick.

If you expected much more, you have a ridiculous opinion on the value of late 1st rounders in shitty drafts.

What exactly did you think the Raptors would get for what is likely to be the 26th-30th pick in a terrible draft? They got a mediocore prospect for a third rate pick.

If you expected much more, you have a ridiculous opinion on the value of late 1st rounders in shitty drafts.

They could possibly get a decent unknown foreign player, I like the Johnson move though. He was taken 16th overall in the 2009 draft so he has developed a little I suppose.

Look at this way...

Option 1: Receive somewhat developed former 16th pick who projects to be as good as Ryan Gomes if he reaches his potential. Draft Express

Option 2: Receive undeveloped 27-30th pick who will take time to develop and reach his potential.

I'll take option one like anyone else would...

They could possibly get a decent unknown foreign player, I like the Johnson move though. He was taken 16th overall in the 2009 draft so he has developed a little I suppose.

Look at this way...

Option 1: Receive somewhat developed former 16th pick who projects to be as good as Ryan Gomes if he reaches his potential. Draft Express

Option 2: Receive undeveloped 27-30th pick who will take time to develop and reach his potential.

I'll take option one like anyone else would...

From 2006-2008, here are the 27-30 picks taken...

Sergio Rodriguez

Mo Ager

Mardy Collins

Joel Freeland

Arron Afflalo

Tiago Splitter

Alando Tucker

Petteri Koponen

Darrell Arthur

Donte Greene

D.J. White

J.R. Giddens

Splitter has some potential, but really only he and Afflalo have developed into reliable rotation guys (Rodriguez too maybe), with Arthur and Greene fringe players who have some uses.

Going back to 2003 we see:

Leandro Barbosa

Kendrick Perkins

Josh Howard

Maceij Lampe

(very strong 2003 draft)

Sasha Vujacic

Beno Udrih

David Harrison

Forfeited pick (Joe Smith)

Linas Kleiza

Ian Mahinmi

Wayne Simien

David Lee

So there's some potential going back, but aside from Lee, there's no All-Star potential outside of the very strong 2003 draft. Johnson may develop into a quality backup, which is about the best you can hope for from the 26-30 pick of a weak draft. He should be better than the Petteri Koponen's and Joel Freeland's of the world though.

A bit more recently the picks consisted of:

DeMarre Carroll

Wayne Ellington

Toney Douglas

Christian Eyenga

Jordan Crawford

Grevis Vasquez

Daniel Orton

Lazar Hayward

Ask yourself if you'd rather have Johnson or the average of all these players.

Good deal for both teams, Chicago most likely has a deal in place for a SG, and Toronto gives up a meaningless pick in a weak draft for a prospect to work with.

They're buffing up their offer for Courtney Lee, read a few days ago that its the Heat pick + Bulls for Lee. Rockets probably pushing for Charlotte's pick though.