Nets get Deron Williams

Phightins

Very happy for Nets fans, they waited and waited to get Melo and it never happened, got screwed over because of the draft lottery, and didn't get anyone through free agency. It's great to see them finally getting that franchise player they always wanted. I'm a huge fan of D-Will and believe they can successfully build a contender around him.

But the problem here is that this trade doesn't come with the guarantee of him signing an extension. I haven't seen anything regarding Williams being unhappy with going to New Jersey, so the deal is still up in the air. But if he does go for the extension, this is a great deal.

It looks like Utah will begin their rebuilding process. They have some nice pieces to work with.

http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mikhail-prokhorov.jpg

What a boss.

Woah.. Just came back from school and saw this on ESPN. Still in awe that the Jazz actually let go a guy like Deron, but Nets better hope he resigns with them next year or else this would be a pretty awful move on their part. As everyone said already, East keeps getting very strong while the West gets the future talent and draft picks. I hope the Nets can trade for more solid pieces since I love Deron and would like to see him win more often than he did at Utah.

Unreal deal, I wasn't expecting the Jazz to deal their franchise pg especially after parting ways with Sloan.

Utah management fails. First they lose Boozer and Wes Matthews, then they get rid of Sloan, and now Deron. Franchise is going to have a tough time rebounding, there isn't a whole lot the Jazz can hang their hat on.

Edited by Confidence

Nice backseat modding.

backseat modding? gtfo.

I'm so sorry for showing other members that a thread was already made for that topic. please forgive me. :rolleyes:

if anything, you should be thanking me for posting that link and keeping this thread on-topic. I wasn't expecting that kind of diligence, however.

Anyway...Deron will strongly consider staying in New Jersey. He can get the most money, and the longer contract, if he does...and with the new CBA being put into play before he becomes a free agent, I'm sure money will be the biggest factor at that point, like it will be with most every NBA player, especially the following season after the new deal is created.

why do you act like every player in the league is only in it for the money? if there's one thing I've learned about D-Will, it's that he's a competitor. he's not one of those guys who's going to sacrifice winning for a few extra bucks.

Why are Knicks fans so jealous? I was [expletive]ing happy for you clowns when you got Melo. But of coarse we don't get the same respect back.

we're jealous of a team that's not even making the playoffs this year and that has never won an NBA title. yeah. that's it. :rolleyes:

Utah management fails. First they lose Boozer and Wes Matthews, then they get rid of Sloan, and now Deron. Franchise is going to have a tough time rebounding, there isn't a whole lot the Jazz can hang their hat on.

I'm guessing they offered D-Will an extension at some point before trading him. he probably vehemently rejected it, and so they traded him.

I love D-Will. he's a top three PG in the game, but people are acting like the Nets are geniuses now. unless they can sign this dude to a long-term extension, the deal's a total bust for them. they got rid of a guy who could have been there for the next decade plus picks and a good pg for someone who could end up leaving next summer.

Utah didn't do bad at all here. assuming Williams didn't want to be there anymore, they got a great return in Favors, Harris, and picks.

I'm guessing they offered D-Will an extension at some point before trading him. he probably vehemently rejected it, and so they traded him.

He can't sign an extension till July...

I love D-Will. he's a top three PG in the game, but people are acting like the Nets are geniuses now. unless they can sign this dude to a long-term extension, the deal's a total bust for them. they got rid of a guy who could have been there for the next decade plus picks and a good pg for someone who could end up leaving next summer.

It's a genius move simply because of the idea of bringing in a top 3 PG.. We all know it could all end up a huge failure if he doesn't sign an extension, but from what I've been reading, it looks like the Nets are confident that he will.

He can't sign an extension till July...

I know, but a conversation like this probably happened:

GM: Deron, I know you're not eligible to officially sign an extension until July, but would you consider signing an extension with us then?

Deron: maybe. I think I might consider my options first.

maybe he said it with a lot of doubt or something and so they traded him. I doubt they would just get rid of him if they thought they could realistically sign him to an extension.

It's a genius move simply because of the idea of bringing in a top 3 PG.

but he could still just walk out the door next summer. it can't officially be deemed a genius move until he signs an extension.

We all know it could all end up a huge failure if he doesn't sign an extension, but from what I've been reading, it looks like the Nets are confident that he will.

that doesn't really mean anything. it just matters if he actually signs the deal. if he ends up leaving, this could turn into one of the biggest blunders of a trade in NBA history.

wow, I'm good lol.

The Jazz received signals from Deron Williams that he wanted to play in a larger media market and was set to leave Utah when he could get out of his contract.

REALGM

You don't think the Nets realized all this before pulling the trigger? It's obvious they know something we don't, so don't assume Deron will leave.

I don't think they do lol. I think Prokhorov was just anxious to flex some muscle and get a star. if he didn't think as highly of Favors as most people, I'm sure he would've had no problem making this deal even without a guaranteed extension.

Everything you're stating is true, but it's obvious as well.

if he ends up signing an extension, I'll bow down and admit it was a spectacular move. I just don't think it's fair praise the Nets when we don't even know if he'll stick around yet.

The Jazz will be a pretty decent team still, Favors/Jefferson/Millsap down low is scary.

Nets will obviously improve, and assuming Deron stays (and they pick up someone for the 2 or 3), should contend for a playoff spot in the East next season.

Also, the Atlantic division is quietly becoming the best in basketball, all of the teams seem to be improving.

Edited by SeasonSeven

The Jazz will be a pretty decent team still, Favors/Jefferson/Millsap down low is scary.

Nets will obviously improve, and assuming Deron stays (and they pick up someone for the 2 or 3), should contend for a playoff spot in the East next season.

Also, the Atlantic division is quietly becoming the best in basketball, all of the teams seem to be improving.

Devin Harris won't be bad at all in that system, Jazz might still make playoffs.

I don't think they do lol. I think Prokhorov was just anxious to flex some muscle and get a star. if he didn't think as highly of Favors as most people, I'm sure he would've had no problem making this deal even without a guaranteed extension.

This isn't a sim league, Prokhorov knows what he's doing, he's been patient with the Melo drama, he was patient with the 2010 FA, so what gives you the idea that he desperately made this move just to obtain a superstar? You're making no sense here.

Because you pointed out the obvious? It has been reported before that Williams wanted to be in a bigger market. You weren't exaclty posting anything ground breaking there.

I know - I was just sharing that news to verify what I posted earlier.

so what gives you the idea that he desperately made this move just to obtain a superstar?

I don't know, but I honestly don't think D-Will is going to sign an extension. if he does, I'll eat crow and give the Nets big props for this deal, but obviously, there's still a chance of him leaving. D-Will had no idea this trade was going to happen. he said he was at home watching SportsCenter when he found out he got traded.

I don't get why everyone thinks there's such a good chance of him signing a deal. at this point in his career, I'm sure he's looking to win titles and there's better opportunities for him elsewhere. outside of him and Lopez, the Nets roster is nothing special. he could go to the Knicks or a handful of other teams and probably have a better shot at winning.

this was a risky deal for New Jersey. it's going to be an absolutely horrible trade for them if Deron leaves.

You're acting as if he's a 15 year vet looking to win championships... he's 26 years old with a lot of basketball left to play in his career.

And look, I'm not saying he will sign the extension because frankly, the Nets are a long ways from being a legit contender in the East, but you gotta believe they made this trade with a plan to negotiate an extension. They wouldn't have made this trade without being 100% certain they can extent his contract.

Like I said, you're right and you're saying all the right things here, this is a risky move, the Nets really will have trouble surrounding D-Will with great talent. Hell, it doesn't even guarantee them a playoff spot next year because really, what are they going to turn to in free agency? David West? They can't add an immediate impact player through the draft either. We'll see what moves they make in the next year.

• Owner
The Jazz received signals from Deron Williams that he wanted to play in a larger media market and was set to leave Utah when he could get out of his contract.

Like I said, he was about the money...and once salaries start taking a dive, he'll be even more about the money.

Like I said, he was about the money...and once salaries start taking a dive, he'll be even more about the money.

I still wonder if he'd leave the Nets to go to the Knicks or Lakers so he'd have a better shot at endorsements...

Who knows...?

This trade happened so fast and randomly that even Deron Williams found out he got traded on SportsCenter...lol

Not sure how true that is because I was watching the press conference with the Jazz GM and he said that he called Deron at 9 in the morning informing him that he had been traded. He said it was a 30 second conversation lmao.

Not sure how true that is because I was watching the press conference with the Jazz GM and he said that he called Deron at 9 in the morning informing him that he had been traded. He said it was a 30 second conversation lmao.

Oh, the lady on said on SC that he found out by watching SC. Rather believe what you said though, highly doubt that he wouldn't have got a phone call before it was official.

Oh, the lady on said on SC that he found out by watching SC. Rather believe what you said though, highly doubt that he wouldn't have got a phone call before it was official.

Haha yeah that would be some scum shit if the Jazz let him find out through SC