What if Deron doesnt sign extension?

kingfish

If he doesn't, then needless to say it's a shame. That being said, I say we can call it a great deal without having to wait for the following reasons.

1) We saw how the 2010 offseason went, and we saw multiple indications that Melo was reluctant to play for the Nets. Our FO can be comprised of genius minds, we can be advertising a move to Brooklyn in less than two years, etc., but the fact that we are in New Jersey right now has seemed to hurt us time and time again. In a superstar-driven league, when the Nets have no superstars to begin with, it got to the point where it was necessary to trade for one rather than waiting for another episode of free agency/Melo-esque drama.

2) It's been a while since the Nets were not viewed as a joke (or maybe a 12-70 record made it feel like it's been much longer than it really has been). It got to the point where the fanbase and the front office was no longer in favor of the waiting game.

3) Prokhorov drove up the price for Melo and King acquired Deron for a much cheaper price. Job well done.

Edited by Waldo

We've been hearing about BK for like 10 years, so until the Nets are actually playing there attracting F.A.'s wills till be difficult. I read that there was a report out of Utah D-Will is unhappy with being traded to the Nets.

I know I come in here sounding like I bash NJN all the time, but honestly I really hope he does well for you guys. I think having the Nets and Knicks relevant and even the Sixers would be a lot of fun and great for the area. Just as when the Giants and Jets and Eagles have all been good over the past few years; I think it'd be great if all three teams in the NBA had good teams at the same time.

We've been hearing about BK for like 10 years, so until the Nets are actually playing there attracting F.A.'s wills till be difficult. I read that there was a report out of Utah D-Will is unhappy with being traded to the Nets.

I know I come in here sounding like I bash NJN all the time, but honestly I really hope he does well for you guys. I think having the Nets and Knicks relevant and even the Sixers would be a lot of fun and great for the area. Just as when the Giants and Jets and Eagles have all been good over the past few years; I think it'd be great if all three teams in the NBA had good teams at the same time.

You've been hearing about Brooklyn since 2001 when we were going to the Finals?

lol, I get what you are saying but it really hasn't been that long since the Brooklyn talks began. 3-4 years tops.

But yeah I'm excited for basketball in this area for the next half a decade or so. The 76ers just need to step their game up :lol:

You've been hearing about Brooklyn since 2001 when we were going to the Finals?

lol, I get what you are saying but it really hasn't been that long since the Brooklyn talks began. 3-4 years tops.

But yeah I'm excited for basketball in this area for the next half a decade or so. The 76ers just need to step their game up :lol:

Ok, yeah, it's probably been 4 years since the BK rumors started - but hey, it seems like a while, alright? :lol: ;)

It would be crazy knowing that they went to have the worst record to get Favors and traded him away for a border line super star caliber point guard for only half a season or however long he has left.

he has a year and a half left. after next season, he can opt out of his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul have the same option.

he has a year and a half left. after next season, he can opt out of his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul have the same option.

Howard and Paul will both take their talents to South Beach in 2012, the world will explode, and the whole 2012-end of the world thing will be proven true.

IMO Favors is the most overrated trade asset in the NBA.

He was badly outplayed by Kris Humphries in Jersey, and was nothing special at Georgia Tech.

He's never gonna play in Utah and the trade will turn into Devin Harris and two lottery picks for a top 3 PG.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/confused.gifUtah is strange.

Well played tall russian http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00322/prokhorov385_322130a.jpg

IMO Favors is the most overrated trade asset in the NBA.

-_-

He was badly outplayed by Kris Humphries in Jersey, and was nothing special at Georgia Tech.

I certainly wouldn't say he was 'nothing special.' he only played one year of college ball before joining the NBA. not many big men can just step onto the college courts and become one of the best players in the NCAA their freshman year. he still put up totally respectable numbers. in 27 minutes, he'd give them about 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal. he wasn't bad offensively, either, but he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet. the sky is the limit with this kid. he's still only 19 years old.

He's never gonna play in Utah and the trade will turn into Devin Harris and two lottery picks for a top 3 PG.

he's definitely going to play in Utah. just because they already have two good big men in Milsap and Jefferson doesn't mean Favors will never get to play. I'm sure he'll get a fair share of minutes and eventually prove himself as a legit big man. besides, getting two lottery picks and a solid pg in Harris really isn't bad for a guy who was probably going to leave Utah next summer anyway. sure, Williams is a star, but that doesn't mean much if he's on the verge of saying goodbye.

Well played tall russian

this baffles me completely. people are acting like Prokhorov is the best ever. if they don't sign Williams to an extension, this becomes one of the worst trades in NBA history. they're giving up an extremely young and talented Favors, a great pg in Harris, and two lottery picks for a guy who might be a year and half rental. if he leaves next summer, everyone's gonna have egg on their face. I'm not giving a single ounce of credit to the Nets until they get Deron locked up once and for all.

-_-

I certainly wouldn't say he was 'nothing special.' he only played one year of college ball before joining the NBA. not many big men can just step onto the college courts and become one of the best players in the NCAA their freshman year. he still put up totally respectable numbers. in 27 minutes, he'd give them about 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal. he wasn't bad offensively, either, but he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet. the sky is the limit with this kid. he's still only 19 years old.

he's definitely going to play in Utah. just because they already have two good big men in Milsap and Jefferson doesn't mean Favors will never get to play. I'm sure he'll get a fair share of minutes and eventually prove himself as a legit big man. besides, getting two lottery picks and a solid pg in Harris really isn't bad for a guy who was probably going to leave Utah next summer anyway. sure, Williams is a star, but that doesn't mean much if he's on the verge of saying goodbye.

this baffles me completely. people are acting like Prokhorov is the best ever. if they don't sign Williams to an extension, this becomes one of the worst trades in NBA history. they're giving up an extremely young and talented Favors, a great pg in Harris, and two lottery picks for a guy who might be a year and half rental. if he leaves next summer, everyone's gonna have egg on their face. I'm not giving a single ounce of credit to the Nets until they get Deron locked up once and for all.

I can't find one stat that shows why Favors will be a solid NBA player, I've seen his college stats and I'm not impressed.

I saw the Mavs play the Nets and Favors looked like he was going through the motions out there.

As for the part about Devin Harris being a "great pg" please don't kid yourself.

If he was a "great pg" the Nets wouldn't have been trying to give him away for Caron Butler to the Mavs.

If you believe averaging 13 and 5 for your career is "great" then I don't know what to say.

Until I physically SEE these mystery lottery picks the Jazz will draft the Nets won this trade with flying colors.

Extension, or not.

you're expecting too much from Favors. he's still a teenager. I can't think of anyone in NBA history except for maybe a very select few (LeBron, Kobe) who were able to have a big impact in this league at 19 years of age.

this kid's athleticism is amazing and he's got the potential to be one of the best forwards in the game. he's already got great rebounding and blocking skills. if he can improve him offensive game, he could be a star.

it's way too easy to think New Jersey got the best of the deal. Favors has hardly even began his NBA career and we haven't seen these lotto picks yet, so it's easy for me to see why people think the Nets won big time. saying they win the deal even if Deron doesn't sign an extension though, is ludicrous.

even if Favors doesn't become an all-star caliber player (which I think he will), imagine how much Jersey could've gotten for him in a few years. young, talented big men are in such high demand in the NBA. they could've gotten much better value than just a year and a half of Deron had they waited awhile.

I'm gonna stop debating this though. everyone thinks Deron's gonna stay in Jersey, for whatever crazy reason. I guess we'll see who's right soon enough.

you're expecting too much from Favors. he's still a teenager. I can't think of anyone in NBA history except for maybe a very select few (LeBron, Kobe) who were able to have a big impact in this league at 19 years of age.

this kid's athleticism is amazing and he's got the potential to be one of the best forwards in the game. he's already got great rebounding and blocking skills. if he can improve him offensive game, he could be a star.

it's way too easy to think New Jersey got the best of the deal. Favors has hardly even began his NBA career and we haven't seen these lotto picks yet, so it's easy for me to see why people think the Nets won big time. saying they win the deal even if Deron doesn't sign an extension though, is ludicrous.

even if Favors doesn't become an all-star caliber player (which I think he will), imagine how much Jersey could've gotten for him in a few years. young, talented big men are in such high demand in the NBA. they could've gotten much better value than just a year and a half of Deron had they waited awhile.

I'm gonna stop debating this though. everyone thinks Deron's gonna stay in Jersey, for whatever crazy reason. I guess we'll see who's right soon enough.

I give Deron Williams a 1% chance of staying in Jersey, but that's not my point.

Deron Williams is a PROVEN All-Star in the NBA.

What has Favors proved in college and the NBA?

He's PROVEN he has a high upside, but has yet to utilize it yet at either level.

Honestly, I don't see him getting more than 15 mpg barring a trade in that rotation.

When healthy they have Jefferson, Millsap, Okur, Favors, and then Fesenko.

Edited by N/A

Deron Williams is a PROVEN All-Star in the NBA.

most certainly, but what does that matter if he doesn't stay? unless he wins the Nets a title in the next year and a half (zero chance), this deal will be an epic fail for the Nets (assuming D-Will leaves).

just because you don't think Favors is gonna be any good, doesn't mean you should trade him for just anyone. they could have held onto him, waited for him to develop his game and improve, then eventually used him to get someone who'd play for the Nets for several years.

a few years ago, there a rumor circling that had Bynum going to the Nets for Kidd. everyone said the Lakers should have made the deal. I was the only one who said, 'no sir, absolutely not.' now, I'm not saying Kidd's not a great player, and I'm not saying it would have been a horrible deal for the Lakers, but they could get a lot more for Bynum now than they could have a few years ago. it's because Bynum was still a teen then who hadn't reached his full potential. Favors is in the exact same spot now.

Edited by HOV

most certainly, but what does that matter if he doesn't stay? unless he wins the Nets a title in the next year and a half (zero chance), this deal will be an epic fail for the Nets (assuming D-Will leaves).

just because you don't think Favors is gonna be any good, doesn't mean you should trade him for just anyone. they could have held on to him, waited for him to develop his game and improve, then eventually used him to get someone who'd play for the Nets for several years.

a few years ago, there a rumor circling that had Bynum going to the Nets for Kidd. everyone said the Lakers should have made the deal. I was the only one who said, 'no sir, absolutely not.' now, I'm not saying Kidd's not a great player, and I'm not saying it would have been a horrible deal for the Lakers, but they could get a lot more for Bynum now than they could have a few years ago. it's because Bynum was still a teen then who hadn't reached his full potential. Favors is in the exact same spot now.

This deal wasn't made to win a title my friend, it was made to prove the Nets could stand with the Knicks.

They both traded for superstars and both have generated excitement for their fan bases.

This move was made to generate excitement for the Brooklyn move as well.

It's not like Favors will lead the Nets to championship if Williams can't either.

Who knows though...

Maybe Williams likes Brooklyn lures a decent free agent and form a big three with Brook Lopez?

Anything is possible...

I seem to have looked over the above post in my response. As for this...^

Bynum will never reach his full potential because of all his injuries.

It is better to get what you know exists rather than what does not.

We know Williams is an All-Star, we know Favors has potential.

Question is...Which one is a better tool for the Nets as they move to Brooklyn?

This deal wasn't made to win a title my friend, it was made to prove the Nets could stand with the Knicks.

that's the wrong reason to make a trade. teams should make deals to improve their chances of winning, not to try to one-up their rivals.

They both traded for superstars and both have generated excitement for their fan bases.

yes, but my point is the excitement will only last a season and a half or less for Jersey should Deron leave. they traded many, many years of excitement with Favors and lotto picks for less than two years of excitement with Williams. it makes no sense at all unless they can extend Deron.

This move was made to generate excitement for the Brooklyn move as well.

he'd only play in Brooklyn for a year if he decided to leave. that wouldn't do anything for them in terms of attracting free agents or improving the team.

It's not like Favors will lead the Nets to championship if Williams can't either.

not necessarily true. had they decided to keep Favors, he might have been around long enough to eventually lead them to a title. it would have taken several years for that to happen, but he'd still only be in his mid-20's by then anyway.

Who knows though...

Maybe Williams likes Brooklyn lures a decent free agent and form a big three with Brook Lopez?

Anything is possible...

if he signs an extension, it's a great deal for the Nets. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

I seem to have looked over the above post in my response. As for this...^

Bynum will never reach his full potential because of all his injuries.

It is better to get what you know exists rather than what does not.

not if what exists leaves right away. in that case, I'd much rather take my chances with the young fellas.

if Dwight wants to leave Orlando and Otis looks to trade him next year, the Lakers are in great position. why? because they chose not to trade Bynum when he was really young. they let him marinate and his trade value's going to be at an all-time high next year. Jersey would've had the same luxury with Favors, but they got rid of him already.

We know Williams is an All-Star, we know Favors has potential.

Question is...Which one is a better tool for the Nets as they move to Brooklyn?

Favors, assuming Williams leaves.

let's say you had a choice between two brand new cars: a Honda Civic and a Ferrari.

... but there's a catch.

if you choose the Civic, you get to keep it for a decade. if you choose the Ferrari, however, you only get it for a couple years.

which car would you choose?