Thunder, Perkins Agree to Contract Extension

OKLAHOMA CITY, March 1, 2011 – The Oklahoma City Thunder has signed center Kendrick Perkins to a multi-year contract extension, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti. Per team policy, the terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“We had a unique opportunity to enter into discussions with Kendrick to solidify his future with our organization,” said Presti. “We are pleased to know that he will be a part of our core group now and in the future. Kendrick’s blue-collar, team-first approach aligns with the vision we hold for building a sustainable team in the Oklahoma City community.”

Perkins (6-10, 280) owns career averages of 6.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 1.0 assist and 22.3 minutes in 454 NBA games. He has appeared in 12 games (7 starts) this season with the Celtics before being traded to the Thunder on February 24th, averaging 7.3 points and 8.1 rebounds in 26.1 minutes. The center has appeared in 68 career postseason games, averaging 6.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and 25.7 minutes.

Thunder

Look who's back. I was just looking at your profile a couple days ago Art.

Edit: Signing isn't very surprisingly, they weren't going to just rent him for one season. A deal was going to get done one way or another.

Edited by Confidence

he's not worth that kind of money. he's a great defensive big man, but he's not worth anything more than $8M/year.

So that extra .7 mil is just out of the question? :lol:

Edited by fish7718

he's not worth that kind of money. he's a great defensive big man, but he's not worth anything more than $8M/year.

Considering the direction of this franchise, it is a GREAT deal. Not to mention the cost of centers with his skill level, this was a steal (see Brendan Haywood signing with the Mavs).

:lmao:

it's not that unreasonable. with the new CBA, it's likely owners will spend much less on players. $7M/year for five years isn't bad at all for a player of Perkins' caliber. I would be willing to go up to about $38M, but nothing more. like I said, he's a great defensive center, but he brings very little offensively and he's had a history of knee problems. if he wanted more, they could sign someone like Dalembert or just stick with Aldrich.

but he brings very little offensively and he's had a history of knee problems.

Does OKC need offense, or more players willing to stay in the paint to rebound and defend (their biggest criticism the past few years)? And while he's not capable of scoring outside of the paint, he has the ability to post up and hit that hook shot. Not to mention he has good hands and will be able to catch dump off passes from Westbrook when he drives in.

This is the absolute perfect fit for OKC, Sam Presti just keeps impressing me.

it's not that unreasonable. with the new CBA, it's likely owners will spend much less on players. $7M/year for five years isn't bad at all for a player of Perkins' caliber. I would be willing to go up to about $38M, but nothing more. like I said, he's a great defensive center, but he brings very little offensively and he's had a history of knee problems. if he wanted more, they could sign someone like Dalembert or just stick with Aldrich.

just take a look around the league and look at all the big men and look what they are getting paid. perk is getting paid around 8.6 mill a year

plus perk is young, his got A LOT of experience, his had a mentor in KG and knows his role. i think our defense will take a huge stride when his in the game

as presti has said his not looking to win now but its all about our future. perk will have plenty of time to heal up and get to know the team and his knee issues, personally, its a risk i think is worth taking. just look back at tyson chandler and where he is now. dont think presti is going to make that mistake twice

Are you dense? He got $3 mil more than you said he should OVER four years, hence him making about .7 mil more/year. :lol: .

Now, please apologize.

I'm not going to apologize. I don't like the deal. I think they could have gotten a similar center for less or just developed Aldrich into that role. people were saying Dallas got a good deal for Haywood last year too.

personally, I think Perkins is overrated. he's been to the finals a couple times, but he always the worst player in the starting line. I realize his defensive capabilities, but that's about all he's got. he's had some knee problems and he's probably heading towards the end of his prime at this point.

it's definitely not the worst signing ever, but they probably could've gotten him for a little something less.

I'm not going to apologize. I don't like the deal.

I think he meant apologize to me for calling me dense when I said he got .7 more and you went on to explain he get 3 mil more. It was 2.8 more 2.8/4= .7 :) So no I'm not dense.

I'm not going to apologize. I don't like the deal. I think they could have gotten a similar center for less or just developed Aldrich into that role. people were saying Dallas got a good deal for Haywood last year too.

personally, I think Perkins is overrated. he's been to the finals a couple times, but he always the worst player in the starting line. I realize his defensive capabilities, but that's about all he's got. he's had some knee problems and he's probably heading towards the end of his prime at this point.

it's definitely not the worst signing ever, but they probably could've gotten him for a little something less.

I was saying apologize for your error and misunderstanding on Fish's math.