Dwight wants to finish career in Orlando

“I love Orlando. The city has been very good to me and I would love to finish my career here. I want to win a championship and I want to win it in Orlando,” Howard said on the Dan Patrick Show Monday morning.

“That’s all I’ve been thinking about.”

Howard told Patrick that he would not hold his own television special to announce his decision, a l a LeBron James. When Patrick joked that Howard would say he’d take his talents to Disney World, Howard laughed and reiterated that his decision is two years away.

Howard keeps saying this, but it’s not really the case. Yes, he can’t technically become a free agent until after next season, but the Magic would want to know what he is thinking before next season’s trade deadline.

When Patrick asked him if he’d still leave if he won a title before his contract expires, Howard evaded the question.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/03/dwight-howard-i-want-to-finish-my-career-here.html

LeBron used to say the same thing during all those successful regular seasons... but you can only come up short in the playoffs (with a non-championship cast) so many times before you realize it will probably take you leaving, in order to win a championship.

I hope Orlando can get the pieces around him so he can win there, I really do. I just don't see it happening and I feel like he'll be a Net a year from now (so long as the new CBA allows it possible). After they get bounced 2nd round this year either Magic need to land a legitimate star to play with him, or start shopping him, because this core isn't winning a title this year or next, and 2 playoff exits (probably both in the 2nd round, 3rd at best) will not leave Dwight very satisfied.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 1

The problem is, while New York at least had mediocre assets like Chandler and Gallo, the Magic have NOTHING that would appeal to the Hornets, literally nothing. They can't even provide salary relief since they are burdened with a bunch of big contracts themselves. The Magic are positioned almost identically to the Cavaliers in terms of their lack of wiggle room and a cast that isn't going to be good enough to win a title. I would be utterly shocked if the Hornets traded Chris Paul to Orlando at any point in time.

The only way things start looking up for Orlando is if they find a time machine and stick Richardson and Arenas in it.

I agree with most of what has already been posted here but you do have to remember that Dwight is a completely different person than Lebron. Don't get me wrong, the Magic are definitely going to have to make some changes or the team has to play at a higher level to appeal to Dwight (an ECF appearance would do fine), but I'd take his word over a lot of players in this league.