Larry Brown Wants Tyson Chandler to Play Power Forward

I would love to be able to defend Charlotte coach Larry Brown's comments regarding his plot for new Bobcat Tyson Chandler. The Baseline's Sean Deveney jumped on Brown's post-trade conference call, where Brown told reporters he'd be using the 7'1 Chandler as Boris Diaw's back-up at power forward.

I really wish I were brave enough to applaud Larry's idea. But unfortunately, I didn't drop enough acid this morning.

The Bobcats are disastrous on offense, and Chandler is a substantively worse offensive player than counterpart Emeka Okafor, who will now play in New Orleans. Charlotte rated No. 27 in the league in offensive efficiency last season. The team shot poorly, turned the ball over way too much and didn't draw fouls.

Color me a simpleton, but I fail to see how playing Chandler at power forward changes the fundamental problems with the team. Chandler averaged seven FGAs per 36 minutes last season -- which means he shoots extremely infrequently. (Only 14 "rotation players" -- 15 minutes per game or more -- shot less frequently last season. Of the makes, some 72% were assisted ... which means Chandler isn't terribly adept at creating his own shot.

Now, if Brown planned to play Power Forward Chandler with a dynamic scoring center, such as Amar'e Stoudemire or Carlos Boozer, maybe it works. (Of course, then we're probably considering Chandler the center and the scorer the power forward.) But Brown doesn't have a dynamic scoring center to pair with Power Forward Chandler. He has Nazr Mohammed (career 13 points per 36 minutes and DeSagana Diop (5 points per 36 minutes over his career).

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/28/larry-brown-wants-tyson-chandler-to-play-power-forward/

Is Diaw playin SF?

No, apparently he's starting and Tyson is the backup according to that, WTF.

Okay, so you trade a potential future all star for a backup PF. You had a guy that's 6'10" (I think) playing center, but then you get a 7'1" (I think) guy and put him at PF, as a backup for the franchise player you traded away?

Worst trade in a long time Larry, what were you thinking. Who's gonna play center, Ajinca or Nazr? WHAT?

• Owner

Imagine trying to score against Diop, Chandler, Wallace, Bell, and Felton? It will be like the Pistons all over again. I can see Charlotte going 500 winning a bunch of 79-73 type of games.

Charlotte was actually the 6th best defensive team in the NBA, points given up per 100.

But the thing is, Charlotte doesn't have a scorer like Rip Hamilton or Chauncey Billups.

The Bobcats are going to need a lot of production out of Gerald Wallace and their two point guards, Felton and Augustin.

Charlotte was actually the 6th best defensive team in the NBA, points given up per 100.

But the thing is, Charlotte doesn't have a scorer like Rip Hamilton or Chauncey Billups.

The Bobcats are going to need a lot of production out of Gerald Wallace and their two point guards, Felton and Augustin.

It's true, which is why they won't go very far over 500. But with some of the players they have, they'll be fine manufacturing points. They can score on the break, with halfcourt continuity with Diaw, and with Wallace's skills. Replace Wallace with Allen Iverson and you have a team that looks a lot like Brown's Sixers that went to the Finals. Wallace is no Iverson, but the Bobcats should be alright.

The only problem with that is that your future is then coming off the bench, with Felton, Augastin, and Diaw. There's also Ajinca, who might be a decent center in the league, and Gerald Henderson getting more limited minutes. Charlotte won't be winning a title next year, they might make the playoffs (that wouldn't surprise me, with or without Iverson) but they've got next to a 0% shot at a title if you ask me.