How Good Can Humphries Be?

devz

he's having somewhat of a breakout year and over the last two weeks he's played fantastic in his expanded role averaging 16.8 rebounds and 16.8 PPG. My question is do you guys think he can be a legit starting PF in this league and a good complement to Brook Lopez? Or is he better suited as a limited bench forward?

My opinion is if he can keep up similar numbers, obviously not 17 and 17 but maybe 14 and 12, he'd be the perfect guy to complement Lopez and hide some of his deficiencies on the glass. And having him there can let us focus on getting, what I think is a bigger need, a big time perimeter threat. Someone at the 2 guard or SF position which would open up the floor for everyone.

• Owner

On a contending team, he wouldn't get these opportunities on the offensive end unless he were to prove himself in that type of environment. However, he's shooting very well (compared to how he has done throughout his career). He could be a bit more efficient, but I can't complain because, not too long ago, other coaches and teams declined to give him a chance on the offensive end, and he wasn't showing any improvements.

Being on the Nets, he's going to get his numbers. Brook isn't a great rebounder...just not physical enough this season (looks like he lost muscle, but I don't know), and he doesn't have the skills that Gasol has (boxing out effectively, getting to the boards quickly, to make up for the physicality) to be able to pull down a consistent 11-12 boards a night.

What I do like about Humphries, though, is that he has always been a good rebounder, even in limited minutes back in Utah and Toronto. Outside of the boards, though, he's not that good of a defender, and he needs to learn how to pass the ball.

If he goes into this offseason and works on his post play, and he becomes a better on-ball and help defender (he's improving, no doubt, and even fouling less, but he has a way to go), he can be a legitimate starter on a playoff-bound team.

I don't expect him to become a Tim Duncan, though. It may sound that way, but all he needs to do is expand the skillset, not necessarily reach peaks in every aspect of his game.

He could be very good.. but I hate him for sucking when he was with Raptors 2-3 years ago.. he will be a really good offensive player with Deron Williams giving him easy looks down the paint and he's already a very good hustler and rebounder