Cavs considering 'rich man' rebuild

The Cavaliers are wokring on what one executive called "a rich man's rebuild", which includes taking on contracts such as Baron Davis in exchange for picks. GM Chris Grant is also considering a trade for Richard Hamilton where more picks are acquired.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212367/Cavaliers_Working_On_Rich_Mans_Rebuild#ixzz1H55kTgPl

i'm so sorry, Cavs fans.

:lmao:

did you learn nothing from the Isiah Thomas era, good man?

trading picks and young talents for bloated contracts is never a good idea, really.

Did you even read the article? They're trading expirings or cap space for Hamilton AND picks.

exactly; that's a horrible deal. why trade expiring contracts and valuable picks for an over the hill veteran who's owed another $25M? that makes no sense; Rip probably isn't even that great anymore. Cleveland should be stockpiling picks and rebuilding through youth, not trading away their assets for aging veterans.

you don't agree? I know Cleveland gets picks back in the deal, but they're not as valuable as the Cavs' own picks. they'd be best off keeping all their own picks and trying to get more. the only way they should trade any of those picks is if they can get a young, talented player in exchange. Rip isn't young and his contract is horrible. why in the world would you want to pay him $25M over the next two years when you could use that money to eventually sign a respectable free agent?

you don't agree? I know Cleveland gets picks back in the deal, but they're not as valuable as the Cavs' own picks. they'd be best off keeping all their own picks and trying to get more. the only way they should trade any of those picks is if they can get a young, talented player in exchange. Rip isn't young and his contract is horrible. why in the world would you want to pay him $25M over the next two years when you could use that money to eventually sign a respectable free agent?

Why don't you just calm down and read the goddamn article. Your making yourself look like an idiot.

• Like 4

I don't get it.

You do realize that they aren't trading their own picks, right? They are going to use their cap space, TPE from the James trade and shorter term contracts to trade for bloated contrats in order to pick up extra draft picks on top of their own.

Basically, they are going to do the exact same thing as they did in the Baron Davis trade. Trade a short term deal (Williams had 2 years left) for a longer, more expensive deal (Davis has what, 4 years left?) and in return for taking the contract, they will get a draft pick back.

As for the Hamilton situation, as an example, they would use their TPE to absorb the contract of Hamitlon, taking the final 2 or 3 years left on his deal off of the Pistons books, and as a favor for doing that, the Pistons will send them a draft pick.

I don't really see what is wrong with doing that. If you have the money, you might as well use it.

There trading FOR the picks. And the only way a team like the Cavs can begin to stockpile picks is to take on bloated contracts such as Baron or RIP. They're NOT trading their picks away. Like everyone else has said, read the article before posting and making yourself look like an idiot.

They're acquiring the big contracts for the cap space once they expire, not for the talent.

that's fine I guess, so long as they don't sacrifice their own picks in the process.

And you might want to learn correct capitalization before you start correcting people on grammatical errors.

I wasn't correcting his grammar, but rather his spelling.

Maybe he read the word 'acquired' as 'required' in the article...That's the only possible explanation as to what the hell he's thinking or talking about...

no, I just didn't really understand the structure of that paragraph. Stein's a horrible sportswriter imo. he was saying Rose deserves the MVP over LeBron because the Bulls are 2-0 against Miami. well, the Heat are 2-0 against the Lakers and yet he had Kobe above LeBron. I could point out like five more things wrong about the article, but yeah, I'll admit I didn't read it very carefully at first.