Jared Sullinger says he will return

The Regime

NEWARK, N.J. -- Here, then, Ohio State fans is your silver lining: Jared Sullinger says he is coming back.

Sitting in the Ohio State locker room following the top-seeded Buckeyes' 62-60 loss to Kentucky, the freshman said he would not be entering his name for the NBA draft and would return for his sophomore season.

"I'm going to be an Ohio State Buckeye next year," he said. "This isn't why I came here, to come in here and see my seniors in here crying. I came here to win a national championship."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6260339

I'll believe this more in a couple of months when the inital shock of losing in the Sweet Sixteen wears off and he has had time to sit down and think about what he is potentially giving up by not entering the draft this year.

I can definitely see him coming back to OSU for another season, but I don't put any stock in these comments either during the tournament or right after a tough loss, or even a national championship. Emotions play too much of a factor.

Greg Monroe said the same thing last year. I'm hoping he stays though. Next year has the potential to be one of the best ever.

UNC, Texas, Duke, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, St. John's and Ohio State will all be better than they were this year.

• Owner

I believe him. He's pretty emotional, and there's too much uncertainty with the CBA right now.

Of course, when they do work out the kinks (if they do by the time the draft turns its last corner), I'll question him.

Word is the Morris twins are going to come back for their final year if they don't win it all this season. I wonder how Kyrie Irving feels right about now as well.

Then that practically does make Derrick Williams the #1 overall draft pick. Good decision for him though. There are a lot of parts to his game that he needs to work on, and probably add more muscle than just overall body weight. Great to hear for OSU fans though.

I believe him. He's pretty emotional, and there's too much uncertainty with the CBA right now.

Of course, when they do work out the kinks (if they do by the time the draft turns its last corner), I'll question him.

Word is the Morris twins are going to come back for their final year if they don't win it all this season. I wonder how Kyrie Irving feels right about now as well.

Idk if he'll return with Austin Rivers possibly taking his spot next year.

Goddamnit, of course when the raps have another high draft pick the draft sucks,

True but let's face it it's not like the Raptors are going to be good next year either.

Doesn't matter to me, I've never liked the idea of the Wizards drafting him (or anyone out of Ohio State)....they just don't produce great NBA talent, history proves it. They play inferior teams every year up until the tourney, not a fan at all.

He's too much of a tweener in my eyes, plays like a center, but is in a PF's body. He doesn't have great footwork in the paint, but he would be a decent player at his position. I can picture him as a DeJuan Blair, but with more talent.

• Owner

Doesn't matter to me, I've never liked the idea of the Wizards drafting him (or anyone out of Ohio State)....they just don't produce great NBA talent, history proves it. They play inferior teams every year up until the tourney, not a fan at all.

Greg Oden is/was a great NBA talent...minus the injuries. One of the best defensive players in the NBA when he's healthy.

Staying another year will only hurt his stock. People know what his game is, and with a lot more talent being infused into the college level next year, he can't risk it IMO. He'd be a fool to stay.

Greg Oden is/was a great NBA talent...minus the injuries. One of the best defensive players in the NBA when he's healthy.

He's played 82 games in three seasons... while I agree he may be able to become a "great" NBA talent, when you can only successfully play 1/3 of your career without injury, you aren't there yet. He was a risk coming into the NBA and his inability to stay on the court shows it.

• Owner

He's played 82 games in three seasons... while I agree he may be able to become a "great" NBA talent, when you can only successfully play 1/3 of your career without injury, you aren't there yet. He was a risk coming into the NBA and his inability to stay on the court shows it.

How does being injury-prone change how talented you are? The reply was to a comment about Ohio State not producing the talent, but they did with Greg Oden.

It's not about becoming a great player, it was simply about him having that talent coming out of Ohio State. Oden was picked #1 because he was going to be one of the best defensive anchors in the league, near Dwight's level. Being able to prove he has that talent for those games he did play should be enough for someone to recognize that it's there. The part about him putting it to use and becoming a great player...well, that's a different story.

He might as well stay. He's only 6'7 and not getting any taller. I don't think he'll be much of a factor in the NBA anyways. Kinda like Evan Turner...

Which is why it only makes more sense for him to enter the draft this year, get picked in the top 5 and get his guaranteed money rather than go back to school, fall to mid to late lottery (at best considering next years draft is looking a hell of a lot better) and then cost himself a good chunk of change, as well as the numberou opportunities that a top 5 pick is given to prove himself.

I know some guys care more about staying in school and doing what makes them happy, and I condone them for doing that and not following the trend of one and done players, but Sullinger could definitely look back at this decision in 5-10 years and regret passing up the opportunity to be drafted in the top 5.

This is all assuming he does in fact stay, which is still anything but a given. Tristian Thompson said the exact same things a week ago and last I read he was signing wtih an agent and entering the draft, so I don't take any of these pre or post tournament comments about the draft very seriously. If he says this in 2 months, then I will believe it.