What is wrong with Arenas?

Newman

It's pretty clear that Arenas is no longer his old Agent-Zero self, but no one would predict that he would be this bad, especially in an environment where most of your shots are freed up by guys double-teaming Dwight leaving you wide open.

Which begs the question...what is wrong with Gil? He is averaging 7.5 points for March and his FG% is in the low 30s.

Well he was never very good to begin with, but when you take away his knees too then he is basically a bad role player. He brings absolutely nothing to the table at this point. Not smart, not a great shooter, can't defend, can't run an offense, has no understanding of what it takes to be a winner.

To be blunt, he just sucks now. He hasn't been the same since that injury a few years ago and for some reason he has become worse over time even with a superstar center to work with.

I always liked Agent Zero as a player so it kinds of ''hurts'' me to see him like that. Right now against the Knicks, he's 0-8 from the field. Thanks god he could still knock down some free throws. I don't get what's wrong with him. 2-3 years ago or a bit less, he could knock down EVERY wide open jump shots! What I'd like is to see a huge improvement from him compared to this year's season when the playoffs are here

He's pretty bad. He turns the ball over stupidly, takes some poor shots, and is just not a good defender. You have to question how much he wants to win, too.

His explosiveness is gone, and he doesn't have the court savvy to be an effective player without it. I do think he still has a lot more talent than people give him credit for, but he has to adapt to his limitations and new role. He also has to get his confidence back, and that may take another off-season of hard work and a fresh start to a new season to get to that point. He is probably a lost cause as far as this season goes (although he still has the ability to be a game-changer in any specific game in the post-season).

• Owner

His explosiveness is gone, and he doesn't have the court savvy to be an effective player without it.

Difference between him and Mac? ;)

I'm not so sure he has it in him to be a solid contributing role player, even if his mind was set on it. I'm just not in the same boat as everyone else, I guess. The only thing he'd be able to do is become a spot-up shooter (can't facilitate because he can't get to the rim or beat his man off the dribble anymore, can't be strictly defensive because he can't play defense and never has), and he has failed shooting wide-open jumpers all season long.

From what I've seen of him, some of those jumpers are missed badly...some are flat, some short...and I'm not really sure if he can get that shot back.

He was an inefficient chucker at full health, but he made up for it by being able to get to the line at a reasonable clip. You could live with him shooting 41-43% from the field and 33-35% from three because he was getting to the line 8-10 times a night, and hitting around 82-84% of those.

Now, he can't get to the line at all and his shooting is even worse than before simply because he isn't able to create the seperation he was able to before the injuries. He was never any good as a spot up shooter even when he was at his physical peak and now he is pretty much forced into that role, even though he has always sucked at it.

The bottom line is that Arenas was never that good to begin with. Take away his explosiveness and you haev a ball dominant, poor jump shooting point guard who isn't even worth giving the ball to considering he can't get to the rim anymore and was never a good playmaker.

Arenas has lost that step that gave him the ability to get around defenders. He was never great at it, but the fact that he could do it made the defenders at least respect the drive and he'd end up pulling up and getting a decent look at a shot. He's still a solid shooter, but defenders are always guarding against his shot and that's why he hasn't been able to do anything in my opinion.