Chance Harrison Barnes returns to UNC?

Dash

Shirley Barnes told The Daily Tar Heel that her son has goals that he wants to fulfill.

The North Carolina freshman forward said after losing 76-69 to Kentucky on Sunday in the Elite Eight that he felt just like he did three years ago, when a last-second shot gave Iowa’s Marshalltown the 51-50 win against Barnes-led Ames in the state playoffs when he was a sophomore.

“That hurt for three months,” his mom, Shirley Barnes, said on Tuesday. “And that was the last time he lost. He has goals and I think he wants to fulfill those goals.”

When asked if he had played his final game in a North Carolina uniform, Barnes gave no indication which way he was leaning, only that he was living in the moment that visibly consumed him.

“I’m not thinking about the NBA,” he said.

Shirley Barnes said when the time is right, her son will make his decision.

“Harrison needs to heal from this loss,” she said. “We haven’t really talked about it, honestly. It’s not pressing to us. It’s what it is.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212723/Barnes_Will_Let_Loss_Heal_Before_Making_NBA_Decision#ixzz1IDel5TUJ

Eventually I think Barnes will settle on entering the draft but man can you imagine if Sullinger and Barnes both skip out? Awful, awful draft.

He stands nothing to gain from returning. He showed in the later parts of the year he is in the top percentile, the only way he can take his game to the next level is at the NBA level. An NCAA title would be nice, but it isn't worth gambling on being a likely top 3 pick in a much stronger draft next year.

As a Tar Heel fan I obviously really, really want to see him back for one more year, but I feel like it's really unlikely with such a weak draft this year. I don't think he played as well as expected this year, but down the stretch he raised his stock and will probably try to strike while the iron is hot.

I doubt he stays. He is a top 3 pick most likely this year and probably the best small forward in the draft. Next season he could concievably be the 4th option on offense with McAdoo and Hairston joining the team and Zeller sticking around for another year, and with guys like Gilcrhist, Nash, Davis and Miller all likely to be 1 and dones, he might wind up being the 5th best small forward in the draft (depending on whether or not guys like Davis and Miller are a 3 or a 4).

I know he is all about school and loves UNC, but I just don't see the guy coming back once agents get in his ear and he finds out that he is pretty much a lock for a top 3 pick.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him come back, though. He genuinely seems to want to win an NCAA Championship, so he is one of the top prospects that I can see returning the most. I still think he enters, though.

As a UNC fan myself, I really hope he stays for obvious reasons... Do I think he will leave? Not really... Although if he does, I will not be mad at him for doing it. He should be a top 5 pick if not a top 3 pick in this very weak draft.

North Carolina freshman guard Harrison Barnes is nearing a decision about whether to enter the NBA draft.

Barnes is weighing his options, as is teammate John Henson.

“It’s something for them to watch and still see there’s basketball and that we aren’t going anywhere,” Henson said, then paused. “I mean, that we’re not going anywhere right now.”

Henson, a projected lottery pick in the 2011NBA Draft, said he’ll have a decision on his plans for next year by Saturday. Teammate Harrison Barnes, who is all but guaranteed a top-five pick in the draft, will have fans wait just a few days longer.

“It’ll probably be in at least a week, week and a half or so,” Barnes said.

The deadline for early entry into the draft is April 24.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212850/Barnes_Henson_Close_To_Decisions_On_Draft#ixzz1IguA5a40

I read a couple days ago that some guy from Iowa who is really close to Barnes saying that he was going back for another year. He broke Barnes to UNC before anybody else did and he supposed to be fairly credible.

However, he said Barnes would make the announcement today and as far as I know, that has't happened and won't happen.

I still say somebody gets into his ear and convinces him to declare. I know he wants a national championship, but when some agents get into his ear I think he will come to the realization that it makes more sense to enter the draft this year.

The lockout is the only thing that worries me about him not declaring. If there wasn't the threat of a possible lockout and all the uncertainty with the CBA, I think it would be a lock that he declares.