Recovering Oden aware of ‘Sam Bowie talk’

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/04/ipt/1301679454.jpg?x=180&y=240&xc=1&yc=1&wc=180&hc=240&q=100&sig=_K78.CLTrzJ7JIdQj_ezrg--

------------

Greg Oden(notes) knows that he can’t dodge the Sam Bowie comparisons. Sitting at his home, the often-injured center acknowledged that before watching on TV his Portland Trail Blazers play the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday evening.

Once Oden returns to play, as he strongly expects, will the free agent be helping the Blazers or another team?

“Some people may think it’s best for me being out of [Portland], getting out of that mode of being injured or Sam Bowie talk,” Oden said. “Some people are probably saying, ‘You owe the Blazers for four years.’

“I don’t know. For me, I just want to get out there and play. … I just want to get on the court and compete because that’s something I’ve been missing the past two years.”

Big things were expected from Oden when the Blazers selected him as the first overall pick in the 2007 draft over Kevin Durant(notes). Injuries have derailed his promise, but Oden is just 23 years old, enough time to turn things around and distance himself from Bowie, the Trail Blazer best known as the man picked before Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft.

Oden hasn’t played since December of 2009, when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left patella. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of the injury. That setback came off the heels of a lost rookie season (right knee micro-fracture surgery) and a ’08-’09 season where he missed 21 games (foot, kneecap injuries).

He says his current rehab, from November’s micro-fracture surgery on his left knee, includes weightless squats, leg strength and balancing exercises, and cardio. The 7-footer, who has played in only 82 games in his career, hopes to get back on the floor to do light shooting without movement sometime later this month. He is “aiming” for a complete return by November.

Oden misses the game. After watching his Blazers fall to the Hornets, he lingered on the night’s highlights, watching them three times along with other games.

“It’s kind of brought back the love of the game through humbling you,” Oden said of his injuries. “You go out there and do it. Some people might not work as hard on their game. But when it’s taken away for two years that’s all you want to do is go back on the basketball court and do whatever you can.”

--------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-oden_injury_return_sam_bowie_blazers040111

Edited by Warren2ThaG

I definitely still want him on the Blazers next season. I still have faith in him and eventually will become what we need him to become, a defensive anchor in the paint, someone who can move most opposing centers in the league with ease in the paint, someone who will effect the shots of driving players whether it's a block or just contesting the shot. Once we get Oden back, look out for Portland.