Is Vince Carter HOF bound?

Every player who matched VC's career line of 22.9 PPG/5.3 RPG/4.2 RPG/.537 TS% is either in the Hall of Fame or is a lock to be there someday.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/454003604_Vince_Carter.jpg

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in basketball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball? There may have been a brief moment in the spring of 2001 when someone may have whispered that Carter may have been the best player in basketball... But honestly? No.

3. Was he the best player in basketball at his position? At his peak, he may have been the best SG in the NBA, but there was plenty of tough competition in Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and Ray Allen. SPM says the best SG in 2001 was Allen Iverson; WS says Ray Allen. I'm going to go with "no", then -- Carter was close, but never quite #1.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=5184#more-5184

Pretty good points, what do you think? I'm leaning a "no".

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

Unless it's a HOF for dunks, no.

He is good, but I never regarded him as great, one of those guys on the same level as Kobe, Allen Iverson etc.. I don't think T-Mac should be in the HOF and T-Mac posted better stats than VC so I don't see why VC should be included given his team's highest accomplishment was the ECF.

He'd better be. The one question you have to ask yourself when determining if someone is a Hall of Famer is "Was that person ever considered elite for his time period?"

Carter sure as hell was an elite player during his prime, whether you're going by what he did for the Raptors' franchise, the slam dunk contest in 2000, or his ability to maintain production regardless of which franchise he went to

I'm going with yes. He was very good for a long time, was considered eltie at one time, and is the greatest dunker in NBA history. Very few players have ever been as popular as he was with the Raptors.

The sad part about VC's career is that everyone tends to overrate what he did in Toronto, and severely underrate what he did in NJ because of how he kamikaze'd his image with how he left Toronto. It's a shame because he was a great player in NJ, and did a lot of things that really went unnoticed and unappreciated.

• Like 1

I'm going with yes. He was very good for a long time, was considered eltie at one time, and is the greatest dunker in NBA history. Very few players have ever been as popular as he was with the Raptors.

The sad part about VC's career is that everyone tends to overrate what he did in Toronto, and severely underrate what he did in NJ because of how he kamikaze'd his image with how he left Toronto. It's a shame because he was a great player in NJ, and did a lot of things that really went unnoticed and unappreciated.

Haha, tell me about it bro. New Jersey wasn't even in the playoff picture, yet he managed to get them in. Kidd was slowing down and not 100 percent, Richard Jefferson was basically injured, and Nenad Krstic was just a rookie. Frank was also a very young coach. He averaged around 27, 5, and 5 for them in the second half of the season. Despite getting swept by a powerful Miami team, he played great that season and no one gives him the credit he deserves for what he did during that time.

He doesn't deserve anything for that season, it just goes to show what a pathetic human being he was at that time (just look at the splits between Toronto and New Jersey that year). And this is coming from someone who is actually somewhat of a VC fan/defendant at least relative to other Raptors fans.

For the record, I think he should be in the HOF.

• Owner

Yes, but not because of the numbers, but the overall play and impact. There are a lot of players who are either in, or going into, the HOF and have had at least one or two controversial roadblocks throughout their careers.

Vince isn't going to win a ring as a first or second option anywhere. That boat has sailed away. However, I feel like the amount of rings is irrelevant, or else someone has to speak for Malone, Barkley, Stockton, and many others who are deserving HOF'ers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/454003604_Vince_Carter.jpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=5184#more-5184

Pretty good points, what do you think? I'm leaning a "no".

There's no way in hell he should get in. When learning to play basketball, coaches will tell you Vince is the exact player you do not want to aspire to be like. People say Amare plays no defense....look no further than Vince Carter who is one of the worst I've ever seen. Actually, I've never seen him play defense, so scratch that.

• Owner

There's no way in hell he should get in. When learning to play basketball, coaches will tell you Vince is the exact player you do not want to aspire to be like. People say Amare plays no defense....look no further than Vince Carter who is one of the worst I've ever seen. Actually, I've never seen him play defense, so scratch that.

If you're just handing over an argument based on Vince's defense, you're going to have a hard time arguing against a two-time MVP out in Phoenix.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think Carter should get inducted into the Hall of Fame mainly because he hasn't done anything Hall worthy in his career. He's only made All NBA twice (2nd and 3rd team respectively), he's never been higher than 10th in the MVP voting (and that's only happened once and it was awhile ago), he's never led the league in scoring or any other statistical category, never been on a 50 win team until he got to Orlando, and he's never been a factor on a very good team (none of those things are really likely to change). On top of that for about two and a half years he quit on his team quite publically. Something to think about here, induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame is determined by NBA writers and commentators, the same group of guys who haven't voted him on an All NBA team since 2001. I'd say unless he does something drastic in the next couple of years, his chances of getting into the Basketball Hall of Fame are a lot dimmer than people think.

He had a number of highlight dunks but in the grand scheme of things that did nothing to change basketball.

I've loved Vinsanity since he was a freshman at UNC and he is my favorite dunker of all-time, but to answer your question, no. He is not a Hall of Famer. Like his cousin, he was a prolific scorer and a great finisher, but he was never a winner. Yeah, he made the finals once in his later years, which is one more than Steve Nash, but he was like the 4th option on that team and it's not like he was the 4th option behind Bird, McHale and Parrish. Reggie Miller didn't even qualify for the finals this year and I consider his career more Hall of Fame worthy than VC.

• Owner

What else can I say?

That's fine, because I remember you saying that he didn't deserve those MVP's.

If you're going to argue against Carter, you can't just sit there and tell me his lack of defense takes him out of the discussion. Barkley has zero rings and one MVP, no defense. If we're going to start sticking guys into the Hall because they win MVP awards, I guess we'll be declaring Derrick Rose a HOF'er after this season.

• Like 1

That's fine, because I remember you saying that he didn't deserve those MVP's.

If you're going to argue against Carter, you can't just sit there and tell me his lack of defense takes him out of the discussion. Barkley has zero rings and one MVP, no defense. If we're going to start sticking guys into the Hall because they win MVP awards, I guess we'll be declaring Derrick Rose a HOF'er after this season.

What exactly does Vince Carter do that is HOF worthy? He's a chucker and a dunker, and getting in based on his uniqueness shouldn't be a valid reason....

Hell no.

Are the standards to get into the HOF falling this low? No way in hell should Carter be in the HOF.

He was a really good player. Really good is not and should not be enough to be in the HOF. In 2001 you may have considered him elite...but one season does not make you a HOF.

He was a choker and for the most part just put up stats on bad teams. He missed the playoffs for half his career. The one team he did have success for, he quit on them. He gets traded to NJ and ORL and PHX and is basically just another player for them. For his career, he's basically had just 1 good playoff run and even then he only got to the 2nd round.

If we're gonna put VC in the Hall, then we gotta put guys like Marbury, Sprewell, Glen Rice, and Stackhouse in too. Then the Hall of Fame becomes the Hall of the Pretty Good.

• Like 1

If we're going to start sticking guys into the Hall because they win MVP awards, I guess we'll be declaring Derrick Rose a HOF'er after this season.

The problem is though, VC has nothing on his resume except a few good scoring seasons.

I read an article a few years ago saying that if Dominque Wilkins is in the hall of fame, Vince Carter should be too. I can't find it anymore though. It was well written.

Aside from being two of possibly the greatest dunkers ever, I see no correlation between the two.

Dominique Wilkins led the league in scoring (Carter's never done that). He was All NBA first team once (Carter's never done that), 2nd team four times (Carter's only been named 2nd team once), and 3rd team twice (Carter's only been named 3rd team once as well). Wilkins has also been the best player on four 50 win teams (Carter's never been on a single 50 win team till his Orlando days). Wilkins has also finished in the top 10 of the MVP voting five times (Carter's never been ahead of 10th).

Now I realize Nique was a pretty selfish player in his own right, but at least he scored efficiently, and was consistently a great offensive threat for the majority of his career.

• Owner

I'm not going to give that great of an argument because I don't agree with some of the players being in the Hall in the first place. I'm really on the fence, to be honest.

Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably say no.