Breaking News: Injury Forces Edge To Retire

http://www.wrestlingsuperstars.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/12350.jpg

Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns. (CAREER PHOTOS)

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI administered at Atlanta Midtown Diagnostic Imaging last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

source wwe.com

I would never wish any sort of injury like this or make light of an injury like this, but Edge should have retired when he tore his tendon in his ankle or whatever, he doesn't really bring anything to the table anymore and his body is beat up. It sucks that he couldn't go out on his own terms, but it opens a door for a lot of guys to step up, hopefully they don't just strap the belt on a vet, give Morrison, Ziggler, Swagger, ADR (I guess, even though I think he is massively overrated) a chance, see what they can do. Hold a king of the ring type event for the belt, an opportunity to get a few guys over.

I think it is seriously time for WWE to start looking at TNA for main eventers too, the roster is getting thin and obviously they have no faith in the mid carders they have now (I am almost certain Ziggler can make it at the main event).

Edited by Check my Stats

• Owner
In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

The EXACT same thing happened to my dad around that time (either 2003 or 2004), when he landed on his neck doing a backflip on a trampoline. He had the same surgery, and is having the same problems today (lack of fluid, numbness in hands/arms, etc). Pretty crazy that Edge continued to wrestle in that state...a genius move to retire, because he was absolutely ignorant for wrestling and risking paralysis.

The EXACT same thing happened to my dad around that time (either 2003 or 2004), when he landed on his neck doing a backflip on a trampoline. He had the same surgery, and is having the same problems today (lack of fluid, numbness in hands/arms, etc). Pretty crazy that Edge continued to wrestle in that state...a genius move to retire, because he was absolutely ignorant for wrestling and risking paralysis.

Some people don't like to stop doing something they love even if it has bad results. I wouldn't really call it ignorance.

Looking back at the Attitude Era, I never would have guessed that Edge would win the most championships in WWE/F history.

If we're counting just the important belts then Triple H and Flair have more total. Although it is important to point out that back in the Attitude Era, there was more of holding onto the belt for a good amount of time rather than all of the belt hopping WWE does today.

Stunning....very sad because he was in his prime. It's gonna be awhile before we realize he really isn't coming back, just a shame.

I guess Christian will carry his legacy now and finally get his main event run.

Edge is one of the greatest wrestlers in the modern era. Great charisma and has so many signature moments (the TLC Speak to Hardy, the live sex show, the ladder match with the Hardyz in 1999).

Stunning....very sad because he was in his prime. It's gonna be awhile before we realize he really isn't coming back, just a shame.

I guess Christian will carry his legacy now and finally get his main event run.

Edge is one of the greatest wrestlers in the modern era. Great charisma and has so many signature moments (the TLC Speak to Hardy, the live sex show, the ladder match with the Hardyz in 1999).

I'll remember for his hilarious promos with Christian, only person who could make a promo just as funny as The Rocks.

• Owner

Some people don't like to stop doing something they love even if it has bad results. I wouldn't really call it ignorance.

Bad results, and tragic results, are two different things. If you're young, and a doctor tells you that you may die (or even become paralyzed), I'm pretty sure that's the perfect stop sign. If it was about wrestling with a tear in his index finger, that's something else...but this is a neck/spinal injury.