Gilbert Arenas:"Give me 38 mins, I’ll give you 25 9 and 6 assists."

AboveLegit

"If you gave me—hypothetically because I'm not going to get it anytime soon—if you gave me 38 minutes, I'd give you 25, 9 and 6 assists," he says. "I had the same knee last year and I was averaging 22 and 7. I had this knee the beginning of the season and I was averaging 17, 7 and 6. It's the same knee."

“You know, I averaged 29 and that’s all people see, but I also had two other players that averaged 20 with me, so I did do a lot of passing. Part of my game is trying to get everybody involved and then I get aggressive,” he says. “I’m not playing the 38-to-42 minutes that I used to play where I could take my time, get everybody involved and still dominate. Right now I’m comfortable coming off the bench. Basketball is basketball. I may not have confidence in my shot, but Ryan, JJ, they have theirs and they know I’m looking for them when I get in.”

“I can play the game. It’s just right now I’m in a limited role. And if you see my production in that limited role, if we’re down, we’re going to be up. If we’re up, we’re going to be up further. If you look at any big game that we win, I’m in that stretch,” he says. “I guess people look at the numbers and not the production. As soon as I get here, we go on a nine-game winning streak. Ryan Anderson is all of a sudden playing basketball out of this world. Who’s finding him? Or JJ? Who’s finding these guys?

“But nobody really looks at that. It’s just the stat line.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2011/04/zero-sum-game/2/

Maybe it's my Gilbert Arenas homerism showing, but PART of what he's saying is right. He's not going to put up the numbers he used to in DC playing 15-20 minutes a game. He needs to get back in his rhythm, that's just his nature, you can't expect him to be a Jamal Crawford type presence off the bench, it's not his game. But of course, there's always the issue of proving yourself in this league, you just can't expect a playoff team to hand you the starting job. He needs to work with what he is given, and maybe he can win the job over Nelson. The problem is, Otis Smith loves Jameer, and he's the emotional leader of that team, so I highly doubt he's used as a trade piece or is moved to the sixth man spot.

And I hope that 9 represents 9 turnovers...not rebounds. John Wall is a better rebounder than Gil ever was.. :lol:

I still love Gil and I think he can still play at a high level if given the opportunity, maybe 25-30 minutes would be great. Start him over JRich and QRich. Jameer, Gilbert, Hedo, Anderson, and Dwight together on the floor might work. I was never a fan of JRich and always thought he was overrated. Que in people saying Arenas is overrated, lol.

• Owner
"If you gave me—hypothetically because I'm not going to get it anytime soon—if you gave me 38 minutes, I'd give you 25, 9 and 6 assists," he says. "I had the same knee last year and I was averaging 22 and 7. I had this knee the beginning of the season and I was averaging 17, 7 and 6. It's the same knee."

He forgot to add the 10-30 shooting, 6 turnovers, and abysmal defense.

• Like 2

He forgot to add the 10-30 shooting, 6 turnovers, and abysmal defense.

This.

I do still think he has a shitload of talent, and CAN be a Jamal Crawford-type player, but he has to learn to adapt to his new role and get his confidence back. I mean, it's great that he had a solid playoff game and thinks he still has that All-Star level of play, but he's got to get consistent with it.