Greg Oden to test FA market?

Greg Oden will be a restricted free agent during this offseason and the Blazers are almost certain to extend the qualifying offer.

But there are also reports that the Blazers may make a four-year, $40 million offer.

"The way I look at it," he said, "is that it's not their move. It's my move. Everyone says it's their move. I think it's my move."

There is inherent risk in offering long-term money, but it could prove to be a below market contract if Oden remains healthy.

As one Eastern Conference executive put it on Friday, "If you know Oden is a 1-in-20 shot to come back and be a factor, you have to take it. Because not signing him, you have a 0-in-20 shot of being there if he does.

"Still, $40 mil makes you think."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213422/Oden_Looks_At_Free_Agency_As_His_Move#ixzz1L2JUNTQR

If your team was in need of a center, would you try going after him? Is he worth a 4 yr/40 mill contract?

I'd be willing to give him a 2 year, $20M contract or something like that.

A 3 year deal may be something that I would be willing to do, but I don't think that I would be willing to give the $10M/yr team on a deal like that.

I don't think that I would be willing to do a 4 year deal, though. I understand the thought process in thinking that if he does stay healthy you now have him locked up on a long term deal at a very reasonable prce, but I think that a 4 year deal is just too long of a period to take on a guy who has missed 3 full seasons worth of games in his first 4 years.

As far as ABL's question about a team needing a center, I would be all for the Raptors giving him a look and offering a contract. I still think that if he can stay healthy that he can become the best defensive center in the game (yes, better than Howard) and lord knows the Raptors need both a legitimate center as well as a defensive anchor. He would definitely be worth the gamble, but like I said above, I'm not to sure how willing I would be to give him a 4 year deal, but hypthetically speaking, if the Raptors did sign him to a 4 year deal, I don't think that I would be too upset about it just because of the possible game changing impact that he could bring defensively if he were to stay healthy.

He's gonna be nothing but a decent 10 and 8 guy at best. Dude doesn't just like 40 years old, his body was made like a 40 year old.

He is already better than those stats you posted.

I pass, I would consider it a calculated risk if he'd had 1 or 2 major injuries, but this guy has been hurt every year since HS. It isn't even worth it imo.

• Owner

I'd take the chance. It wouldn't be a massive deal, but I'd offer him up to three years, $8 million a year. If other teams were to throw $10 million a year on the table, I'd probably reach, but knock off one year (as BFT would do, the 2yr/$10 mil).

Aside from Howard, Oden is the absolute best defensive anchor in the league...when he's healthy. In fact, he was arguably as good because he's a better on-ball defender.

It just sucks that he's having so much trouble staying on the court. I absolutely hate it.

Well, he's a restricted free agent, so I don't see him going anywhere as I'm pretty sure Portland will match any offer any team makes in the NBA to keep him.

I absolutely still have faith in Greg Oden. When he gets healthy, I think he'll be able to put decent numbers, probably 11-13ppg, 9-11rpg, and 2-3bpg.

Well, he's a restricted free agent, so I don't see him going anywhere as I'm pretty sure Portland will match any offer any team makes in the NBA to keep him.

I absolutely still have faith in Greg Oden. When he gets healthy, I think he'll be able to put decent numbers, probably 11-13ppg, 9-11rpg, and 2-3bpg.

He'll never be healthy, maybe 65% and he would be best coming off the bench.

I reckon they'll take the gamble. Brandon Roy has 4 years left on his contract if I'm not mistaken so they'll just sign him a four year deal, if things don't work out for either then they'd be busted for 4 years with two injury prone players but who knows they could manage to stay healthy and this team will be lethal.