2009 New York Yankees

Carmelamare

The umpires made three incorrect calls that went against us today:

1) Jeter called out stealing third base in the first inning (though I don't know why he was stealing with no outs)

2) Aaron Hill being called safe on what should have been a force out, followed by a Rios 3-run home run

3) Hinske being called out at second on a force when the fielder's foot was on the bag, we could have had bases loaded with no outs.

Joba has yet to get a win in Yankee Stadium, and Pettitte has a win-loss pattern going. Wang's hurt, so Hughes or Aceves will need to leave our bullpen to join the rotation. Burnett and Sabathia cover 2 good days out of every 5, but our other 3 guys need to be solid as well. I hope our bullpen stays strong with Hughes/Aceves leaving. Albaladejo was called up, so maybe he can be a helping hand for our relief pitching.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeter on being called out stealing third despite avoiding the tag:

"I was just baffled by the explanation," Jeter said. "I was told I was out, because the ball beat me, and he didn't have to tag me. I was unaware they had changed the rules."

"I just pulled my hands back and got called out," Jeter said. "I've seen everybody make mistakes on calls before, but I was baffled by the explanation."

He told me, 'He didn't have to,'" Jeter said. "I'm not making this up. This is what I was told."

Interesting explanation by the umpire.

Edited by Waldo

It doesn't look like the Yankees have a shot at Roy Halladay. As awesome as the idea of getting him seems at first, it would not be so awesome. According to Mark Feinsand, if the Jays do in fact listen to offers within the division, the Yankees would have to give up a lot for Halladay, such as Hughes, Joba, and Austin Jackson. Toronto's two best pitchers from last year could reunite, but it still doesn't seem like it's worth it.

It doesn't look like the Yankees have a shot at Roy Halladay. As awesome as the idea of getting him seems at first, it would not be so awesome. According to Mark Feinsand, if the Jays do in fact listen to offers within the division, the Yankees would have to give up a lot for Halladay, such as Hughes, Joba, and Austin Jackson. Toronto's two best pitchers from last year could reunite, but it still doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Hahahah, at the exact same time I made a post in the Phillies thread about Halladay. Pretty funny.

Hahahah, at the exact same time I made a post in the Phillies thread about Halladay. Pretty funny.

Haha.

The guy's a complete game machine against us. We've pretty much done nothing off him in the last two seasons except for a couple days ago when we got Yankee Stadium's help. We can take him off our schedules for most of the future if he goes to the Phillies or some other NL team. Then again... World Series, Game 1: CC Sabathia vs. Roy Halladay.

I think that is the one thing working in the Phillies favor. Boston could definitely offer more than us in terms of MLB ready talent, and the Yankees probably as well, but I don't know if Ricciardi would hesitate to deal him within the AL East. All of the Phillies top prospects are a year or two away, so I don't know if that will hurt us or not.

I think that is the one thing working in the Phillies favor. Boston could definitely offer more than us in terms of MLB ready talent, and the Yankees probably as well, but I don't know if Ricciardi would hesitate to deal him within the AL East. All of the Phillies top prospects are a year or two away, so I don't know if that will hurt us or not.

Ricciardi is probably going to listen to us and Boston, but he'll be asking for a lot as I said earlier. The Phillies probably won't have to give up as much AL East teams.

Even Boston shouldn't want to trade for Halladay. They don't desperately need starting pitching as far as I know since Smoltz can give up five runs and their offense will still find a way to win. Plus, they shouldn't want to give up anyone from their strong bullpen. Unless their offense, which is stacked, can lose a few players.

There hasn't been much talk about the Boston Red Sox getting Roy Halladay, and I'm not sure that I see it happening, and I'm not sure that the Red Sox want to give up a lot for him.

- Josh Beckett

- Jon Lester

- Dice-K

- Brady Penny

- Tim Wakefiled

- John Smoltz

I really don't see how he would be able to fit in here.

Also, it would take an absolute fortune to get him, and they will be asking for Clay Bucholtz+++++++.