All-Defensive First and Second Teams

• Owner
NEW YORK – Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, winner of the last three NBA Defensive Player of the Year Awards, headlines the NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced today. Howard totaled 56 points overall, including 27 First Team votes.

Also selected to the All-Defensive First Team are guard Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics (39 points), forward LeBron James of the Miami Heat (38 points), forward Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics (33 points), and guard Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers (33 points). Garnett and Bryant each earn All-Defensive First Team honors for the ninth time, tying Michael Jordan and Gary Payton for the most in NBA history.

Howard earned the 2010-11 Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award, becoming the first player to win the award three straight seasons. He led the league with 66 double-doubles, while ranking second in rebounds (14.1 rpg) and fourth in blocks (2.38 bpg). He recorded at least 1,000 rebounds and 100 blocked shots for the sixth straight year; since blocked shots were officially tracked in 1973-74, only Moses Malone has done it more (seven seasons). With Howard manning the middle, the Magic allowed 93.5 ppg, ranking fourth in that category.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of guards Tony Allen of the Memphis Grizzlies, and Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets, center Tyson Chandler of the Dallas Mavericks, forward Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers, and forward-center Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA’s 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110509kobebryant_alldefensivefirstteam.html

First team...

C - Dwight Howard

F - Kevin Garnett

F - LeBron James

G - Kobe Bryant

G - Rajon Rondo

Second team...

C - Tyson Chandler

F - Joakim Noah

F - Andre Iguodala

G - Tony Allen

G - Chris Paul

-----------------------------

Honestly, I think Tony Allen deserves the first team spot over Kobe, and how the hell does Luol Deng not make either list? He deserves it over LeBron.

First team should be Howard, Deng, Allen, Iguodala and Wade.

• Owner

Kobe? Really? He got it over Iggy, Allen, and Wade?

Iggy is considered a forward, but yes.

Tony Allen is, easily, the best defensive guard in the NBA. Deng is the best defensive forward. Both should be on the first team.

Being that Rose was chosen for MVP, it's not a surprise to me that Allen and Deng weren't chosen for the defensive first team. Media attention is more important than actual play to gain awards in this league.

Edited by Poe

What r yall talkin about aint no player in the [expletive]in league thats a better perimeter defender than KOBE and there aint no SG in the league that can [expletive]in be compared to the D that Kobe puts on anyone!!!!!!

Lol you're wack.

For the centers and power forwards, it's perfect. For the rest, I don't really agree.

For the point guards, I think Kyle Lowry deserves to be there. He's done an excellent job defensively (Honorable mentions to Kidd). But I can't go against Rondo or Paul either.

For the shooting guards, Kobe Bryant hasn't been so good of a defender. I think Tony Allen should of be in the first all defensive team since he's done an excellent job in Memphis. I'd even put Wade or Sefalosha over Kobe in my opinion (and yes in case you guys don't know, Sefalosha is one of the best defender in the league (SG)

For the small forwards, why in the world would they have LeBron James over Andre Iguodala! We could all agree here (outside of LeBron James band wagoners and Heat fans) that Iggy has been the best defensive small forward player in the NBA this season!

Other than that, Can't go wrong with it.

Allen finished forth in defensive player of the year standings, and has shown that he can guard just about any guard in the NBA, and also give forwards, like Kevin Durant, a tough time. I definitely think he deserved to be first team over Bryant.

Kobe made it on name alone. When he wants to he can be the best perimeter defender in the league....he didn't want to many times this year.

Deng got screwed. Sefolosha should be there too.

I like that they snuck Noah in there as a 4. Very deserving but he doesn't actually play at the forward spot.

Yeah, I think Allen should have gotten into the first team.

I was expected Deng to also be in there. It seems like they're just putting superstars in the first team smh.

ok wow, i expected wade to get robbed so im not even gonna say nothin about that it is what it is...but i just saw today.....even rose got more votes than wade for first team? is the league [expletive]ing serious? LOOOL

• Owner

If Kobe was so good on D we wouldnt have been lit up by Jason Terry and all the Mavericks guards.

Bryant was rarely on Jason Terry. He defended Kidd, and J-Kidd went from shooting 48% in the first round (against POR) to shooting 28% in the second round, and from 40% 3PT against Portland, to just 29% against LA.